GRA

Re: Rivian R1T and R1S

Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:30 pm

IEVS:
Exclusive Video Footage: Rivian R1T Electric Truck Commercial Shoot
https://insideevs.com/news/381230/video ... nd-scenes/

It's putting it mildly to say that I find the profile view unfortunate, and those headlights haven't grown on me either - the front view looks like some anime character. Are there that many customers for a pickup that's a weirdmobile?
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:48 pm

From the side it looks like what a 21st century Jeep should look like - not unattractive.
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:58 pm

Eye of the beholder and all, but the proportions look off to me (bed's too short for the body), and I don't care for the upward angle of the body line - the top of the tail looks too high compared to the rest of the truck, or maybe it's just the absolutely vertical rear end of the cab. As long as it works well, the looks are secondary.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:27 pm

Just as well you don't like the looks. It doesn't have both a sun and moon roof. :lol:
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Titanium48
Delivery Date: 25 Jan 2019

Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:22 pm

It's an electric Ridgeline.
2016 SL

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:03 am

LeftieBiker wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:48 pm
From the side it looks like what a 21st century Jeep should look like - not unattractive.
I agree, I have no issue with the side profile(although I didn't care for the Ridgeline) but really don't like the headlights....what is it with headlights and EVs! The bug-eye headlights was major design flaw I had with the earlier Leafs, not enough to keep me from getting one but not liked none the less. I'm not so sure I could overlook the goofy headlight design of the Rivians though :?
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:32 am

GRA wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:30 pm
Are there that many customers for a pickup that's a weirdmobile?
They are all waiting for Tesla's unveil, which may make the Rivian look normal.
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%
Tesla S 75D (3/17)
Tesla X 100D (12/18)
93K 100% BEV miles since '14
ICE free since '18

GRA

Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:46 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:27 pm
Just as well you don't like the looks. It doesn't have both a sun and moon roof. :lol:

As I have no need for a pickup it's irrelevant to me in any case, but you can bet any pickup I'd consider would have to have at least a 7 foot bed. I could live without a crew or even a king cab, but cargo area length is non-negotiable. Looks are distinctly secondary; I can live with an ugly vehicle as long as it fits my needs.

GRA

Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:26 pm

ABG:
Rivian starts its push for direct sales in Colorado
The Colorado state Senate could vote this week on a bill to allow it to build Rivian stores
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/24/riv ... -lobbying/

. . . We’ve known all along that Rivian’s plan was to follow the likes of Tesla and adopt a direct sales model, bypassing the need to establish a costly and time-consuming nationwide dealer network. Now the company is putting the pedal to the metal: Automotive News reports (subscription required) that Rivian is lobbying state lawmakers in Colorado, who could vote as soon as this week on a bill to open up its dealer-franchise law by allowing any electric vehicle company to sell directly to consumers.

The legislation, Senate Bill 20-167, would make an exemption to existing dealer franchise law by allowing electric vehicle manufacturers to operate its own stores. The bill last week passed out of a Senate committee by a 3-2 vote. An amendment since added would prevent traditional automakers from opening a store next to their franchised dealers.

Colorado has previously opened up direct sales to only Tesla, which opened its first store in the state in Boulder in 2009 and now operates four in the state. “I am of the opinion that we should have that option available to any EV manufacturer,” Chris Hansen, a Denver Democrat who cosponsored the bill, told the Colorado Sun. “Right now, Tesla has that ability, and I don’t see any reason why there shouldn’t be market access for any other manufacturer.”

The bill reportedly enjoys bipartisan support including Democratic Gov. Jared Polis and organizations like the Colorado Energy Office. But the Colorado Automobile Dealers Association says it would open the door to direct sales by any automaker that happens to sell an EV and herald competition between automakers and dealers. What’s more, it claims that existing state law already allows manufacturers to operate their own dealerships if they don't already have any dealers selling their products in the state. . . .

RIvian’s chief lobbyist has reportedly said the company has received a dealer license in Arizona and is seeking licenses in Illinois, Massachusetts, California and Florida.

If the experience of Tesla is anything to go by, this is likely just the start of what could be a long road for Rivian to build its own stores in states that offer a patchwork of different laws governing dealerships and the sale of automobiles. The company has previously said it will try to find partners who can sell in markets like Texas, which bars direct sales but offers a vast market of truck and off-road enthusiasts as potential customers.

GRA

Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:07 pm

ABG:
Rivian scores in its push for direct sales in Colorado
Colorado Senate passes bill, which heads to Governor's desk
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/02/24/riv ... -lobbying/

The Colorado Senate passed the bill by a 22-12 vote on Friday, February 28. . . .

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”