Nissan ESFLOW Electric Coupe Concept : The official Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now were talking! I am already smitten with the LEAFs 15-45mph "thrust". I would be all over this thing!

Here is a page with almost 30 active ESFlow links at the bottom. Enjoy!

http://www.nissanineurope.com/?p=2579

150 miles?, nice.. imagine what it will do when the new battery comes out.

A 2 seater is usually the kiss of death but look at how well the Miata has done.. perhaps Nissan should concentrate on keeping the cost low and reuse the steel platform (and everything else) from the LEAF.. should be a bit lighter without the rear seats and doors. Lower the height a bit for improved aerodynamics and perhaps shorten it a bit if it can be done economically.. the Mustang uses a torsion bar rear suspension why cant Nissan do the same?. A long and low car can be very sporty looking, something like a retro 1970 240Z look.

08Datsun01.jpg

1970_datsun_240z-pic-4294.jpeg

More details and the press release.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/09/nissan-esflow-concept-is-a-sporty-rwd-leaf

I think this will be the basis of Nissan's next EV sports car.

The Powertrain

ESFLOW is rear-wheel drive and it runs on two motors. The car's graceful proportions allow the twin electric motors to be placed above the axis of the rear wheels, in a mid-ship position,. These motors independently control the left and right wheels, and so the torque is optimized to ensure outstanding vehicle stability and control as well as efficient power regeneration. The motors produce enough torque in an instant for it to reach a 100kph in under 5 seconds.

Power for the motors comes from the same laminated lithium-ion battery packs used in the Nissan LEAF, but in ESFLOW the packs are located along the axis of the front and rear wheels. This centralizes the mass of the car, and thus its rotation point, close to the driver's hips. These cleverly positioned batteries enable the car to travel over 240km on one charge.

The Chassis

An aluminium chassis has been built around the drive train, taking full advantage of the opportunities that Zero Emission electric propulsion provides. Power cells are incorporated in such a way that they benefit ESFLOW's strength and poise, not detract from them. Indeed, unlike a conventional fuel tank, batteries do not get lighter as they provide energy, so the car's weight distribution remains constant throughout a drive.

The high waistline afforded by the ESFLOW's classic sports car proportions allows strong, yet unobtrusive roll bars incorporated in to the structure behind the seats to safely take the entire load of the car in the event of a roll over, negating the need for obtrusive, thick, reinforced A-pillars and the blind spots they inevitably create.

This almost unobstructed view ahead will not be unfamiliar to fighter pilots, and just as such pilots speak of "strapping their planes on to their backs", we hope ESFLOW owners will also feel the car to be an extension of their bodies, reacting to their slightest whims. The driver must be at the centre of the sports car both physically and metaphorically.

This would be "my kind of toy," and I am quite ready to indulge in such toys. Environmentally responsible AND fun would get me back to Nissan's showrooms ....actually get me back pretty quickly.

I'm excited. If Nissan continues in this direction for a production car, they may keep me as a customer after my LEAF lease is up in 2014.

Man, I want one of these!
A purpose-built frame for EV... 5second 0-to-60. A proven drivetrain (from LEAF). Looks, performance, and all EV.

Please let this be cheaper than a Roadster. :)

Not only is Nissan making my next car, but the car after that too.

GroundLoop said:
Not only is Nissan making my next car, but the car after that too.
I would be in the market for a sporty EV like that, but I'm not holding my breath. The product cycle from concept to production is lengthy and sometimes aborted. Pricing is also an issue. After driving a Tesla roadster, I would love to own one, but the cost is ridiculous for what you get.

I don't find this ESFLOW model in the video as attractive as the Renault DeZir concept, either:

29724172.jpeg

28319393.jpeg

29724187.jpeg

29724178.jpeg

28319390.jpeg

If either Nissan or Renault could produce a pretty, sporty, two-seater for an MSRP of $50K or less I would sell my Leaf in a heartbeat and buy one.

Refreshing ourselves with the pics of the 240Z's above is very relevant. The proportions of the ESFlow are clearly influenced by these vintage cars. I really like the classic look of long hoods and aft seating so this EV would have me at "Hello".

I also noted that the ESFLOW carries a Nissan badge, not Infiniti, and makes early comments about being affordable, so I'm thinking more EV 350Z, rather than Roadster or exotic.

I was there when the Volt concept was unveiled too, so yeah, the curves will get beaten out of the car until it's manufacturable, but still..

I really like it, more than any other EV design to date. If they can keep it under $40k, winner winner. What's your guess on price?

GeorgeParrott said:
This would be "my kind of toy," ... [that] would get me back to Nissan's showrooms ....actually get me back pretty quickly.
Did you just shock yourself with that thought? You shocked me! But, in a good way. ;)

evnow said:
More details and the press release.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/09/nissan-esflow-concept-is-a-sporty-rwd-leaf

I think this will be the basis of Nissan's next EV sports car.
Any guesses on a price point?

What I've always wanted was an EV version of my Miata ... but that still drives like a Miata, and handles like a Miata. But, if Mazda's not going to do it, I'll take the closest alternative. Even if it's Nissan's version.

JPVLeaf said:
Any guesses on a price point?

What I've always wanted was an EV version of my Miata ... but that still drives like a Miata, and handles like a Miata. But, if Mazda's not going to do it, I'll take the closest alternative. Even if it's Nissan's version.
I'd say 10K-15K more than Leaf. Depends on BMW megacity price.

It sure would be nice if they could hold the price down and keep it in the 30s. That's probably too much to hope for, but that's not stopping me! ;)

Can we assume that the battery pack will be a bit bigger? Or are they getting that increased range solely from weight reduction and slightly better aerodynamics? Battery pack pricing should actually get cheaper over the next 3-4 years, so if the pack size doesn't get a lot bigger, that part of the ESFLOW could actually be cheaper than the Leaf. (The 2011 Leaf, I mean.)

It's got one extra motor (and gearbox?), but that shouldn't add too much in the grand scheme of things. All those composite body panels will definitely cost a bit. If they are expecting you to be tromping the go pedal a lot, might they have to add some pack cooling? That could be expensive. But if they didn't try to go all exotic with the suspension pieces and interior, it doesn't seem like it would have to be crazy expensive.

I suppose Miata pricing, plus $10k for the EV markup, would be about as low as we could expect. But that's what? $35k-$40k?

My guess is it will be priced $10k over the leaf. I would also guess that it will offer a high dollar sporting leather interior, sophisticated digital performance handling features, etc. Releasing the "sports car" in 24 months (the go ahead was already back in August) would be genius and easy to roll into the expanded American plant. I say a 2013 release as a 2014 model. At $40-$45k this car will be a steal! Where's that "interest" list Nissan?!?

Concept pictures and video courtesy of ACE from the Geneva Motor Show:

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1055539_2011-geneva-motor-show-nissan-esflow-concept-live-photos

http://www.twitvid.com/TAQIG

And some pictures from The Green Car Website:

http://www.thegreencarwebsite.co.uk/blog/index.php/2011/02/17/exclusive-first-look-at-the-nissan-esflow/

The swing out charging receptacle fascinates me. Is the DC fast charge receptacle on the passenger side? Can't wait to drill holes in that bumper for the front license plate when I pick one up :|

mwalsh said:
My first thought (not knowing exactly how it's configured).....that's going to fill with water! :lol:
Or insert your favorite drink here when used as a cup holder :lol: Don't get me wrong but I love the concept at first glance. And as far as the front plate goes hopefully there will be a tow hook receptacle I will be able to take advantage of :D http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2743&start=19

Back