SageBrush
Posts: 5375
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: 2018 LEAF Vs Tesla Model 3 SR: A Comparison Table

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:30 pm

jonathanfields4ever wrote:
SageBrush wrote:
jonathanfields4ever wrote:All models of the Leaf have automatic emergency braking.
Are you sure ? It is listed in the 'SV' tech package
Perhaps the American versions don't have it as standard equipment, but it's listed for all trim levels in the Japanese brochure I'm looking at now. From lowest to highest, their levels are S, X, and G. They appear to match up pretty well with those offered in America as far as I can tell. The only differences I can spot are that leather seats are still an option even at the highest level for a Japanese Leaf, while heated front seats are standard across all levels.
Gotcha.

I'll try to amend the title to emphasize the table is for US LEAFS
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

jonathanfields4ever
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:55 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Feb 2018
Location: Kyoto

Re: 2018 LEAF Vs Tesla Model 3 SR: A Comparison Table for the USA

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:38 pm

Sorry, I edited my previous post. It would appear that it's standard equipment for US vehicles as well.

iPlug
Posts: 459
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:47 pm
Delivery Date: 25 Apr 2016
Location: Rocklin, CA

Re: 2018 LEAF Vs Tesla Model 3 SR: A Comparison Table for the USA

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:08 pm

Yes, Automatic Emergency Braking is standard equipment on all U.S. Leaf models:

https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars ... configure/
'19 Model 3 SR+, '19 Leaf SV, '12 Plug-in Prius (sold 3/19), '16 Leaf SV (prior lease), 11.43kW Solar PV (16MWh/yr prod.), 20.5 SEER/13.0 HSPF ducted air-source HP, 3.70 UEF HPWH, Induction Cooktop, Variable Speed Pool Pump, Battery powered yard tools

SageBrush
Posts: 5375
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: 2018 LEAF Vs Tesla Model 3 SR: A Comparison Table for the USA

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:28 pm

iPlug wrote:Yes, Automatic Emergency Braking is standard equipment on all U.S. Leaf models:
OK. I looked again, the SV Tech package has
"Automatic Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection [*]"
Table corrected
Last edited by SageBrush on Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15145
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: 2018 LEAF Vs Tesla Model 3 SR: A Comparison Table for the USA

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:47 pm

2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 14,342.8 mi, 93.16% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
jlv
Moderator
Posts: 1491
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:08 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487
Location: Massachusetts

Re: 2018 LEAF Vs Tesla Model 3 SR: A Comparison Table for the USA

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:11 am

Reliable remote access / status updates:

LEAF: No/Maybe
3: Yes
LEAF '13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18, 34K mi, AHr 58, SOH 87%)
Tesla S 75D (3/17, 45K mi)
Tesla X 100D (12/18, 23K mi)
ICE free since '18
100K+ 100% BEV miles since '14

tattoogunman
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:17 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2016
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2018 LEAF Vs Tesla Model 3 SR: A Comparison Table

Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:11 pm

alozzy wrote:If these weren't both EVs, nobody would even compare them or consider them in the same market niche. As EVs become more pervasive across all market segments, the LEAF (or it's successor) will be compared to other cars instead, as will the M3. I get that right now, EV buyers will look at both but will be unlikely to do so a couple of years from now when other choices emerge.

Tesla should stick to the luxury EV market, where they can compete and have a leadership position. They are going to face huge competition in the mass produced product lines, as other manufacturers will undercut them on price.
^ So much this - I am sick and tired of seeing every new EV that comes to market compared to Tesla, it's just not realistic. It's like comparing a new optioned Toyota Camry to a Porsche Panamera or something. One is a true mass market vehicle and the other has established itself as a high dollar luxury brand for a niche market. The Chevrolet Bolt is about the only car I've seen come to market that could realistically be compared to a base Model 3 in that they are close to the same base price, similar performance, and similar range (note *similar* and not exact).

Zythryn
Posts: 1127
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:49 am

Re: 2018 LEAF Vs Tesla Model 3 SR: A Comparison Table

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:37 am

tattoogunman wrote:
alozzy wrote:If these weren't both EVs, nobody would even compare them or consider them in the same market niche. As EVs become more pervasive across all market segments, the LEAF (or it's successor) will be compared to other cars instead, as will the M3. I get that right now, EV buyers will look at both but will be unlikely to do so a couple of years from now when other choices emerge.

Tesla should stick to the luxury EV market, where they can compete and have a leadership position. They are going to face huge competition in the mass produced product lines, as other manufacturers will undercut them on price.
^ So much this - I am sick and tired of seeing every new EV that comes to market compared to Tesla, it's just not realistic. It's like comparing a new optioned Toyota Camry to a Porsche Panamera or something. One is a true mass market vehicle and the other has established itself as a high dollar luxury brand for a niche market. The Chevrolet Bolt is about the only car I've seen come to market that could realistically be compared to a base Model 3 in that they are close to the same base price, similar performance, and similar range (note *similar* and not exact).
You mean “So much [part of] this...”.

As alozzy said, “If these weren’t both EVs...”.
That is the key, the number of EVs is terribly small. And yes, many EV buyers will compare those cars. I cross shopped the Leaf and Model S.
In the US, they sell in similar numbers. For the time being, they have a lot of overlap in their customers. As time goes by, that will lessen.

As for Alossy’s comment about Tesla “sticking to the luxury market”, they are. The Model 3 is their entry level luxury sports sedan. Very much like the BMW 3 series is BMW’s entry level car.
Tesla’s goal is the accelerate the advent of EVs, and I would suggest they are doing a good job at that.
Previous owner of Prius, Volt, Leaf & Model S
Current owner of Model 3
http://www.netzeromn.com

SageBrush
Posts: 5375
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: NM

Re: 2018 LEAF Vs Tesla Model 3 SR: A Comparison Table for the USA

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:15 am

There is an unstated presumption here that the LEAF '18 will sell for well under MSRP. For now that is not true and the luxury/econobox market segmentation does not exist. Instead we either have a Tesla Model 3 being sold at an unbelievable value or the LEAF horribly over-priced.

The range and charging differences between the two cars is easy to see, but the value of the TMS is I think even more. The Tesla is a 15 year car; the LEAF is at best an 8 year car. Value parity occurs when the LEAF costs $15k.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

tattoogunman
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:17 pm
Delivery Date: 08 Jun 2016
Location: Plano, Texas

Re: 2018 LEAF Vs Tesla Model 3 SR: A Comparison Table for the USA

Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:21 am

SageBrush wrote:There is an unstated presumption here that the LEAF '18 will sell for well under MSRP. For now that is not true and the luxury/econobox market segmentation does not exist. Instead we either have a Tesla Model 3 being sold at an unbelievable value or the LEAF horribly over-priced.

The range and charging differences between the two cars is easy to see, but the value of the TMS is I think even more. The Tesla is a 15 year car; the LEAF is at best an 8 year car. Value parity occurs when the LEAF costs $15k.
I would tend to agree, but I'm beginning to see longevity used more and more in EV discussions. Statistically, most people do not keep their cars anywhere near 15 years, so it's a moot point in my opinion. One study that I read recently said that, on average, a new car is kept for six years and used cars are kept for five. There will always be an exception to that obviously and you also have to factor in that most people are leasing instead of buying their EVs as well (Tesla or otherwise). Again, there are always exceptions, but that's what the stats show.

For me, every EV on the market is too expensive and I would agree that the Leaf is not worth anywhere near the asking price (purely my opinion). I remember test driving a used SV a while back (almost bought it), but my initial thoughts were that it was not worth the over $30K asking price when it was new. These are four door hatchback cars and electric or not, they should be priced well under $30K in my opinion. This remains the biggest hurdle with regards to mass adoption of EVs - the price.

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”