cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Re: AFV Truck/Commercial Vehicle topic

Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:20 pm

Amazon's Rivian-built electric delivery van hits the road and begins package duty
Some of the first electric vans hit the road in Los Angeles, but 100,000 of them are coming in due time.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/amaz ... an-rivian/

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (former)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:24 pm

I tried to find a picture of the van, but could only find a scale model of it:

Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:41 pm

Prior to the announcement, the video at https://insideevs.com/news/465961/video ... n-spotted/ had been embedded on numerous pieces in the EV press.

'19 Bolt Premier

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

cwerdna

Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:49 pm

Mitsubishi Fuso delivers over 200 eCanter trucks worldwide - Electrek (https://electrek.co/2021/02/19/mitsubis ... worldwide/) - I've seen these at Tokyo Motor Show over two separate years and talked to one of the reps. He remembered me on my 2nd visit.

Oddly, I don't recall them being present at 2019 Tokyo Motor Show.

'19 Bolt Premier

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:00 am

It seems like I've been seeing that Fuso body design my whole adult life. Mitsubishi really likes it, I guess.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:37 am

GCC:
Hyzon Motors to supply up to 1,500 fuel-cell heavy-duty trucks to Hiringa Energy in New Zealand
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/0 ... hyzon.html

. . . The hydrogen fuel cell-powered trucks, to be assembled at Hyzon’s facility in Winschoten, The Netherlands, will be manufactured in full compliance with local New Zealand requirements and the first batch of vehicles are expected to enter service in New Zealand by the end of 2021. Hyzon plans to have up to 1,500 fuel cell trucks on the road in New Zealand by 2026 as part of the agreement with Hiringa.

The trucks will be built in a 6x4 configuration, will include a sleeper cab option and will have a Gross Combination Mass (GCM) of 58 metric tonnes (64 US tons) and range of 680 km (423 mi). . . .

build a green hydrogen refueling network for vehicle fuel supply, to establish New Zealand as the global benchmark in fuel cell-powered logistics.

Hyzon’s FCEVs will be powered by green hydrogen supplied through Hiringa’s nationwide refueling infrastructure. The network is on track to commence refueling operations in 2021, expanding to eight hydrogen stations across New Zealand’s North and South Islands in 2022, servicing 100% of the North Island and 82% of the South Island’s heavy freight routes. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

GRA

Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:29 pm

Both GCC:
US Postal Service awards 10-year contract to Oshkosh Defense for new generation of delivery vehicles; BEV and ICE
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/0 ... -usps.html

. . . Under the contract’s initial $482-million investment, Oshkosh Defense will finalize the production design of the Next Generation Delivery Vehicle (NGDV) — a purpose-built, right-hand-drive vehicle for mail and package delivery—and will assemble 50,000 to 165,000 of them over 10 years.

The vehicles will be equipped with either fuel-efficient internal combustion engines or battery-electric powertrains and can be retrofitted to keep pace with advances in electric vehicle technologies. . . .

DHL Freight and Volvo Trucks partner to speed introduction of longer-distance heavy-duty electric trucks in Europe
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/0 ... volvo.html

. . . So far, the main use of electric trucks has been for shorter distances within cities and urban areas. Now DHL Freight and Volvo Trucks have initiated a project focusing on longer distance heavy transports. The cooperation includes exclusive, worldwide first pilot tests of a fully electric Volvo FH truck with gross combination weights up to 60 tons.

Starting in March, the truck will operate between two DHL Freight logistics terminals in Sweden, a distance of approximately 150 km (93 miles). Charging will be done at DHL in Jönköping and the Volvo Truck Center in Gothenburg. . . .

"Longer distance" in this case meaning intra-regional distribution, not line-haul.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

GRA

Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:09 pm

Both GCC:
GTI preparing to launch ZECAP pilot with fuel cell yard trucks
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/0 ... 3-gti.html

For 16 months, GTI and its partners have been designing and assembling fuel cell-electric terminal tractors in a project called Zero Emissions for California Ports (ZECAP) that will assess vehicle operation in a demanding, real-world cargo-handling application. (Earlier post.) Performance verification is nearing completion, and the first-of-a-kind pilot project is preparing to launch.

The hydrogen fueling equipment is in final assembly and slated for installation this spring, along with the delivery of trucks.

A terminal tractor (yard truck) is a heavy-duty tractor designed to couple and uncouple quickly with trailers to move them within a cargo yard. More than 1,800 yard trucks operate at the Ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles—more than half of all cargo-handling equipment (CHE) at these ports.

Yard trucks are the single largest source of CHE emissions but are more difficult to convert to zero-emission fuel cells or batteries because of their variable duty cycles and fundamental requirements for power, versatility, and durability.

In the ZECAP program, project partner TraPac will operate two fuel cell electric yard trucks for 12 months. The trucks are Capacity of Texas Trailer Jockey Series TJ9000 gliders configured with BAE Systems electric drive powertrain capable of peak propulsion power of 200kW (270 hp) and Ballard Power Systems FCveloCity-HD85 85kW proton exchange membrane fuel cell.

The Capacity truck can store 9.1kg of hydrogen at 350 bar and will fill at an onsite Hydrogen Technology & Energy Corporation (HTEC) hydrogen fueling station with 182kg storage capacity. Other project partners are Frontier Energy and ZEN Clean Energy Solutions. The California Air Resources Board (CARB) funded the project through a grant.

We designed the project to maximize the time the trucks will be in service. TraPac is a 24-hour operation. The fuel cell yard trucks are expected to operate for two shifts and refill in minutes, with minimum disruption to TraPac’s operation. We’ll collect and analyze real-time operating data to evaluate safety, reliability, efficiency, and ability to meet operational requirements.

—Bart Sowa, GTI’s project manager. . . .

J&M Sanitation deploys two BYD, Amrep electric refuse trucks
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/0 ... 03-jm.html

J&M Sanitation, a family-owned business serving Kuna, Idaho, has deployed two all-electric Class 8 refuse trucks, the first such battery-electric, zero-emission vehicles in Idaho. The trucks are replacing two current diesel vehicles. J&M is the first company in Idaho to own and operate electric refuse trucks and now operates two of only ten in North America.

The BYD 8R heavy-duty trucks feature BYD’s proprietary electric propulsion system designed specifically for refuse collection. With 295 kWh of battery capacity, the trucks are built to support a full day’s operations. . . .

J&M Sanitation trucks run each weekday, each serving about 800 Kuna homes resulting in 1,065 lifts of the arm daily and approximately 18 tons of refuse collected. Without opportunity charging, each of the trucks can return following a completed route with 18% remaining State of Charge (SOC). J&M plans to utilize opportunity charging to maintain additional SOC throughout their routes. . . .

GRA

Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:36 pm

GCC:
Lloyd’s Register awards an Approval in Principle to EXMAR ammonia-fueled gas carrier
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/0 ... exmar.html

GRA

Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:39 pm

GCC:
UK awarding $75M to 3 projects to advance electric trucks and hydrogen buses
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/0 ... 22-uk.html

. . . The 3 projects are:

£31.9 million (US$44.3 million) to develop electric propulsion systems for heavy goods vehicles in Cwmbran, Wales. The EPIC project led by Meritor integrates the key elements of motor, inverter, gearbox, differential and brakes in a single lightweight system for vehicles up to 44 tonnes and includes coaches, off-highway and construction vehicles. The funding would also go towards the construction of a new technology centre in Scotland.

This technology could be applied in a range of ways, such as giving trucks greater travel range and better energy efficiency for coaches and construction vehicles.

£11.3 million (US$15.7 million) to develop and manufacture energy-saving technology from motorsport for use in cars and vans from a center in Warwickshire. The e-MOTIF project led by Shield Manufacturing Technologies in Warwickshire combines lightweight energy recovery technology from motorsport with a new motor and inverter for cars and vans to cut energy consumption and CO2 emissions.

£11.2 million (US$15.5 million) to develop and manufacture low-cost hydrogen fuel cell technology for buses and create a hydrogen center of excellence with Wrightbus in Ballymena, Northern Ireland. Wrightbus is developing hydrogen-powered fuel cell electric vehicle single and double-deck buses. . . .

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”