2021 Ford Escape Plug-in ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evnow

Ford is said to be readying an Escape Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV). I'm looking at it as a possible replacement for our current CUV (Santa Fe). Ford made some protoypes earlier and lend them to some fleets. Here is a review.

http://www.auto123.com/en/ford/escape/2009/review?carid=1091801300&artid=108592

The plugin will come with enough battery to go about 30 miles on EV alone in non-highway speeds. It will be interesting to see if the market wants Volt's "all EV" operation or Ford/Toyota's implementation of the plug-in.

Escape itself is getting a new design starting next year.

2012-ford-escape-side.jpg

The Detroit autoshow should tell us more.

http://www.autospies.com/news/Almost-40-vehicles-set-to-debut-at-2011-Detroit-Auto-Show-60118/

The Audi A6, Chrysler 300, Ford Escape concept, Honda Civic concept and the Toyota Prius MPV will be among those that will be presented at the Detroit show.

It only took eight years, but via IEVS:
2020 Ford Escape Plug-In Hybrid Pricing Starts At $34,235
https://www.motor1.com/news/389241/ford-escape-plugin-hybrid-pricing/

. . . There's one bit of a setback against the Escape PHEV, though – the Toyota RAV4 Prime. The plug-in Toyota crossover offers an all-wheel-drive system, 302 horsepower (225 kilowatts), and a 39-mile pure electric range, things that look better than the front-wheel drive, 209 hp (156 kW), and "30+" range of the Blue Oval PHEV.

With that said, this will be a battle of pricing and release dates, with the Escape looking to beat the RAV4 on the latter with a scheduled showroom delivery in the spring of 2020. This will be an interesting matchup, we reckon.

That price includes dest. Do we want to start a new thread for the 2020, or just use this one and re-title it? No AWD rules it out for me in any case, otherwise the Niro PHEV would work, and is better matched to my requirements, but competition is good.

A day late and a dollar short IMO.
I agree, if the Toyota pans out(I'm a strong believer of the saying I'll believe it when I see it) and it's not priced too high(prefer 30s after any money back but might be compelled to go to lower 40s) it would be hard to justify the Ford. In fact if money were an issue I'd probably look more seriously at the Mitsubishi PHEV before the Ford. I once owned a Ford and with that vehicle their acronym seemed to fit well, Fix Or Repair Daily ;) I know Chrystler has had their fair share of issues with their PHEV Pacifica so reliability with something as complicated as a PHEV also weighs high on my mind.

GCR article contains some more details:
2020 Ford Escape Plug-In Hybrid price set, will arrive before Toyota RAV4 Prime
https://www.greencarreports.com/new...rice-set-will-arrive-before-toyota-rav4-prime

. . . The base 2020 Ford Escape Plug-In Hybrid will start at $34,235, including the $1,095 destination fee.

The Escape Plug-In Hybrid comes with a 14.4-kwh battery pack instead of the 1.1-kwh pack used in the Escape Hybrid. Toyota has shied away so far about listing the battery capacity of its upcoming plug-in hybrid version of the RAV4, called the RAV4 Prime, also due to arrive this year.

With that, it’s likely to qualify for an EV tax credit of more than $6,800—meaning that after the tax credit it will cost less than the Escape Hybrid SE, and in the vicinity of a non-hybrid Escape SE. The amount of the credit follows the size of the battery (at $417 per kwh), though sometimes with minor adjustments, and the closest current model is the Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid, which gets $6,712.

Ford has only so far said that the Escape plug-in hybrid will offer more than 30 miles of all-electric plug-in range, while Toyota said that it expects an EPA-rated 39 miles of range.

One key difference between the two is that the RAV4 Prime, like the RAV4 Hybrid, is this time offered only with all-wheel drive, while the Escape Plug-In Hybrid will be front-wheel-drive only. While there’s no clear winner between the RAV4 and Escape in hybrid forms, the RAV4’s “over the road” hybrid system and separate rear drive motor becomes an advantage in plug-in guise, while a larger battery precludes the mechanical connection to the rear wheels in the Escape Plug-In Hybrid.

That entry price is for the Escape Plug-In Hybrid SE, which comes with a heated driver’s seat, LED headlights and taillights, and a 6.0-inch touchscreen system. The $36,815 SEL model adds fog lamps, roof rails, and a hand-free power tailgate—and the option for a panoramic moonroof and other extras—while the top $40,030 Titanium gets 10-speaker Bang & Olufsen audio, wireless charging, leather upholstery, and a 12.3-inch touchscreen, among other items.

The Ford Escape Plug-In Hybrid should beat the 2021 RAV4 Prime to market by a few months. The Escape Plug-In Hybrid is anticipated at dealerships in spring 2020, while the RAV4 Prime is expected to reach dealerships in summer 2020.

Considering Ford's dismal record with their new vehicles, I'd wait at least one year before buying one...

evnow said:
Ford is said to be readying an Escape Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV). I'm looking at it as a possible replacement for our current CUV (Santa Fe).

TomT said:
Considering Ford's dismal record with their new vehicles, I'd wait at least one year before buying one...

evnow said:
Ford is said to be readying an Escape Plug-in Hybrid (PHEV). I'm looking at it as a possible replacement for our current CUV (Santa Fe).

I'd wait for the three year refresh and bug fix.

LeftieBiker said:
TomT said:

evnow said:

I'd wait for the three year refresh and bug fix.
Not sure if Chrystler has fixed all the bugs in their Pacifica PHEV minivan but last I read it was pretty dismal :(

GRA said:
2020 Ford Escape Plug-In Hybrid rated at 37 electric miles, starts below $35,000

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1128423_2020-ford-escape-plug-in-hybrid-rated-at-37-electric-miles-starts-below-35-000

As noted previously, no AWD.
Stupid IMO to make a vehicle like the Escape in anything other than AWD, besides on an EV it's even easier to make it AWD than a gasser. I'm thinking they purposely left it off in the first year or two only to add it as an option in later models to get the early adopters to have to re-up. Still, I've owned a somewhat recent Ford product and never again, probably rather try my luck with a Mitsubishi than a Ford ;)

Some people buy an SUV as a replacement for a station wagon, and because of the illusion of increased safety. We might consider one for the totality of features, were we looking for another PHEV.

GRA said:
ABG:
COMPARO
2020 Ford Escape plug-in vs. Toyota RAV4 Prime, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV: How they compare on paper
The plug-in hybrid crossover market gets some serious competition

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/09/2020-ford-escape-phev-rav4-prime-outlander-phev-comparison/
Thanks GRA, those 3 vehicles are the 3 I'd be most interested in, well I'm not too keen on Fords but their offering seems very competitive.
That chart highlights why I'm not so hot on the Mitsubishi, even though they are available now in my market and dealers are very willing to deal, the ICE MPG sucks and the EV range is mediocre. I could overlook the mediocre EV range but not the ICE MPG, kinda rules out the Outlander PHEV unless they offer us a newer gen with a decent ICE.
I'm not too fond of the FWD only on the Ford but other than that on paper it sure looks like a winner and if it's like previous Ford products I have more confidence than Toyota to make it to my non CAFE state, at least within a timely manner.
Finally, it looks like we're going to get lower-cost decent-sized SUVs in something other than gassers!

Back