danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

Re: TSLA corporate outlook

GRA wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:24 pm Last December a house in my neighborhood (Volt 1 5-6 years ago, Model S P100D added 2-3 years ago) had solar shingles installed on the entire roof, with 3 Powerwalls (I can see when their garage door is open). It's a tricky roof with lots of angles and corners, and it took about a week to do the job. It looks okay although there are a few gaps around vent pipes, and IMO regular solar would look just as good*. But that's my aesthetic opinion, I'm used to the way PV modules look, and I'm not the person who had to pay for them.

Still, I thought then and still think the buyout was a bailout for a member of the family.

*although the total area of coverage would be less - I don't remember what the conversion efficiency of the shingles are, to do a rough calc of output.
There are so many solar PV installs in my neighborhood, you just get used to it. The houses start to look naked without them. The solar roof seems like a cool novelty, but I spent right around 6k after rebate for a 6 kW DC install last year (did it myself). Price really matters, so I can't see myself doing a solar roof unless it was a new build. And even then, maybe not. I think that money would be better spent in a geothermal heatpump.
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19
GRA

GCR:
Tesla raises Model 3 and Model Y base prices by $2,000
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/11 ... s-by-2-000

Tesla has raised the base prices of the Model 3 and Model Y by $2,000, the latest in a series of price changes this year.

First spotted by Electrek, Tesla's online configurator now shows the price of the base rear-wheel drive Model 3 Standard Range Plus as $41,990 instead of the previous $39,990.

The starting price of the Model 3 Performance also increased from $56,990 to $57,990, while the price of the Model 3 Long Range is unchanged at $49,990.

Similarly, the Model Y Long Range now starts at $54,990, compared to $52,990 before. The higher-level Model Y Performance also got a price bump, from $60,990 to $61,990.

Starting prices for both the Model 3 and Model Y were cut earlier in the year, and then in July were raised. With this latest price change, the Model 3 Standard Range Plus is a whopping $5,000 more now than in February.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk also repeatedly teased the possibility of a $35,000 Model 3. It was here for a while, but now long gone. That's why the Standard Range Plus is now the base model. . . .
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.
GRA

Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

GRA

IEVS:
Tesla CCS1 Adapter: 'Available In North America Soon'

It's now officially launched in South Korea and offers up to 150 kW output.
https://insideevs.com/news/541781/tesla ... r-us-soon/

. . . It costs 299,200 KRW (about $255) and according to Tesla's website, allows charging at up to 500 V and up to 300 A, which means that the peak is limited to 150 kW. We guess that it might be less in the real world (like 100-120 kW), but let's wait for reports from the field.

At least for now, the adapter works only with the Model 3 and Model Y so the Model S and Model X must continue to rely solely on the Tesla Supercharging network. . . .

WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/25/tesla-s ... icles.html

VW, Ford, GM, Nissan and the rest need to follow suit as rapidly as feasible.

I've rented a LEAF from Enterprise twice.
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red (Sold)
2019 eTron Blue
danrjones
Delivery Date: 17 Jun 2019

WetEV wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:48 am https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/25/tesla-s ... icles.html

VW, Ford, GM, Nissan and the rest need to follow suit as rapidly as feasible.

I've rented a LEAF from Enterprise twice.
I saw that and yes TLSA stock is up nicely today. But given the supply constraints, and they've already been jacking up prices, this could cause even MORE price increases. The thought around the web is the Cyber truck may come in 10 to 20k higher than promised. And the news is that Rivian is making TWO of their trucks per day right now.

I can't blame TESLA for raising prices, but it isn't helping the masses. If anything it just reinforces the idea EVs are toys for the rich. :?:
2018 Leaf SV Pearl White with Tech and All Weather, Purchased New on 5/3/19
WetEV
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2014

"Electric vehicles are now mainstream, and we've only just begun to see rising global demand and interest," said Hertz interim CEO Mark Fields. "The new Hertz is going to lead the way as a mobility company, starting with the largest EV rental fleet in North America and a commitment to grow our EV fleet and provide the best rental and recharging experience for leisure and business customers around the world."

Today, 40 percent of U.S. consumers say they are likely to consider an electric vehicle the next time they are in the market for a new vehicle, according to Pew. Global EV sales skyrocketed 200 percent in the last year and will likely continue to grow with commitments from global automakers to increase EV sales. For example, in August, three U.S. automakers pledged to boost EV sales to 40-50 percent by 2030.
Press release is at https://newsroom.hertz.com/2021-10-25-H ... w-Campaign
WetEV
Most everything around here is wet during the rainy season. And the rainy season is long.
2012 Leaf SL Red (Totaled)
2014 Leaf SL Red (Sold)
2019 eTron Blue
LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

So Hertz is now using the words "Tesla" and "EV" interchangeably? They are going to disappoint a lot of older and disabled people who want to try an EV but can't easily squeeze down into a Model 3. I had been picturing several models used, including the Leaf. By using Model 3 Teslas only, Hertz is priming themselves for, at best, a needlessly limited success.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.
webeleafowners
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2015

LeftieBiker wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:10 am So Hertz is now using the words "Tesla" and "EV" interchangeably? They are going to disappoint a lot of older and disabled people who want to try an EV but can't easily squeeze down into a Model 3. I had been picturing several models used, including the Leaf. By using Model 3 Teslas only, Hertz is priming themselves for, at best, a needlessly limited success.
Yah. I tend to agree. Getting in and out of the model Y (or leaf) is easier than a three.

Share price they the roof today. On days like this I have to remind myself that we bought to hold long term. Ugh.
2020 Model 3 Tesla. AWD with FSD. Deep metallic blue. Our daily driver.
2016 Nissan Leaf SV 30KWh Culis Red. Sold. Was my daily driver. Loved that car.
GRA

ABG:
Buttigieg defends safety agency appointment after Musk claims she's 'biased'
'He's welcome to call me if he's concerned'
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/10/23/pet ... t-twitter/

. . . Musk has taken umbrage with the appointment of Duke University engineering and computer science professor Missy Cummings as a safety adviser at the National Traffic Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA). “Objectively, her track record is extremely biased against Tesla,” he said Tuesday.

Cummings, who directs the Humans and Autonomy Laboratory at Duke, responded that she was “happy to sit down and talk” to Musk anytime.

Cummings has also been a frequent Twitter user, often airing her concerns over Tesla’s driver assistance technology and the company’s methods for rolling it out on the social media platform. In September, she sent a series of tweets criticizing Tesla’s rollout of the “safety score” as a way of allowing drivers access to its “Full Self-Driving” beta program.

But her criticisms of Tesla go back much further. Two years ago, Cummings said (also on Twitter) that Autopilot, Tesla’s advanced driver assistance system, “easily causes mode confusion, is unreliable and unsafe.” She added that NHTSA should require the automaker to turn it off.

Cummings’ nomination to the safety advisory role at NHTSA could suggest a more conservative stance on advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) and Tesla at the agency in the future.

Of course, NHTSA and Tesla are no strangers. In August, the agency opened a safety probe into Autopilot, after discovering 12 incidents in which Tesla vehicles crashed into parked emergency vehicles. Regulators also investigated an incident involving a fatal crash in 2017 and 25 further crashes involving Tesla’s ADAS since that time.

As late as August, in response to a tweet asking Cummings whether she thinks FSD could ever achieve full autonomy, she said: “my prediction is never.” But that doesn’t mean she necessarily thinks LiDAR — light detection and ranging software that measures distance with pulses of laser light — is the answer either. Instead, she suggested that full self-driving will not be possible without “a complete rethink of reasoning under uncertainty” that can only be brought about through advances in deep learning. . . .

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”