Nissan Leaf Competition is giving up!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leafluv

I'm glad this Leaf forum has a spot to discuss potential competition for the Nissan Leaf. This forum gives us a chance to gloat on Nissan's behalf. Nissan is really the only company that seems to be serious about this electric vehicle thing... they are either genius or crazy, or somewhere in between!

http://www.montrealgazette.com/technology/ZENN+abandons+ealectric+plant/2315038/story.html'

I came across this article that talks about the Zenn electric car. As of April 30th, Zenn is abandoning the Canadian plant and the idea of producing a publicly available highway approved electric vehicle. Zenn stands for Zero Emissions, No Noise and the company will be targeting golf carts and mobility chairs for their technology... and perhaps market it to some of the larger vehicle manufacturers.

Actually competition is just heating up. That said, I think Nissan is doing it right, doing it well and coming out very strong. They could end up the front runner in EV cars, just like Toyota did with hybrid cars.

But the Ford Focus EV will be coming in 2011. Though it is coming in much smaller numbers it seems than the LEAF. But I can see it being a good seller (the 2012 Focus is much nicer than the current Focus, and the EV will be based on that model).

The Th!nk City will also be coming in late 2010, early 2011. And it will likely be even cheaper than the LEAF. And the LEAF is a great price point for an early market EV, I thought it would be a bit more. Now the Th!nk is smaller and not nearly as nice as a full car. But the City will be a very very nice city commuter.

A huge (though small :) ) competitor will be coming in 2012. In 2011 Fiat will be bringing the 500 that is well-loved in Europe to the states. In 2012 Fiat will have an EV model of the 500 for sale in the states. That car is just a perfect city commuter. Small, but beautiful and classy. Fiat will sell TONS.

But so will Nissan with the LEAF. The LEAF should do very very well. And if Nissan makes either the Glider or a smaller ev like the Fiat 500 for city drivers, well that will sell tons too.

Of course we also have the Telsa S coming soon...but that is in a different tax bracket.

And the Aptera 2e may be coming in 2011 also. But times are hard for a start up company. Time will tell if Aptera can be a competitor to Nissan or just a grand idea misplayed.

But it is a great time to be interested in EVs. We are watching the future happen right now. Over the next few years we will see model after model hit the market. We will see a growth in infrastructure (charge stations and such). We will see an increase in range. Fun Times :)

Congrats Nissan. Well done. Keep it up. And step on the gas and get those LEAFs in peoples hands....well step on the gas in wrong...step on those electrons. ;)

Gavin

Zenn is and has long been a joke in the world of EVs. I agree that competition is ramping up and that is a GREAT thing. My primary vehicle of choice is the Tesla Model S, but I put my money down on the safer bet of the Leaf 'just in case' too.

Gavin said:
Actually competition is just heating up. That said, I think Nissan is doing it right, doing it well and coming out very strong. They could end up the front runner in EV cars, just like Toyota did with hybrid cars.

But the Ford Focus EV will be coming in 2011. Though it is coming in much smaller numbers it seems than the LEAF. But I can see it being a good seller (the 2012 Focus is much nicer than the current Focus, and the EV will be based on that model).

The Th!nk City will also be coming in late 2010, early 2011. And it will likely be even cheaper than the LEAF. And the LEAF is a great price point for an early market EV, I thought it would be a bit more. Now the Th!nk is smaller and not nearly as nice as a full car. But the City will be a very very nice city commuter.

A huge (though small :) ) competitor will be coming in 2012. In 2011 Fiat will be bringing the 500 that is well-loved in Europe to the states. In 2012 Fiat will have an EV model of the 500 for sale in the states. That car is just a perfect city commuter. Small, but beautiful and classy. Fiat will sell TONS.

But so will Nissan with the LEAF. The LEAF should do very very well. And if Nissan makes either the Glider or a smaller ev like the Fiat 500 for city drivers, well that will sell tons too.

Of course we also have the Telsa S coming soon...but that is in a different tax bracket.

And the Aptera 2e may be coming in 2011 also. But times are hard for a start up company. Time will tell if Aptera can be a competitor to Nissan or just a grand idea misplayed.

But it is a great time to be interested in EVs. We are watching the future happen right now. Over the next few years we will see model after model hit the market. We will see a growth in infrastructure (charge stations and such). We will see an increase in range. Fun Times :)

Congrats Nissan. Well done. Keep it up. And step on the gas and get those LEAFs in peoples hands....well step on the gas in wrong...step on those electrons. ;)

Gavin

One more to add: MieV from Mitsubishi

Gah, you're right...how did I forget that one...it use to be a fav of mine...cute little jellybean shape....but Nissan is coming stronger than Mitsubishi...and of i go by cute, the fiat 500ev is way cuter than the iMiEV.

Gavin

Back