Nissan Crossover EV / Ariya concept

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
knightmb said:
When I attend EV events for the public, more people are interested in the Leaf for it's price, not for the gadgets or games you can play on the display or some software upgrades to help you smoke ICE vehicles at the drag strip. They want a functional and dependable EV, one they aren't going to freak out if it gets a scratch or ding on the side from a shopping cart.

That's it!

knightmb said:
When I attend EV events for the public, more people are interested in the Leaf for it's price, not for the gadgets or games you can play on the display or some software upgrades to help you smoke ICE vehicles at the drag strip. They want a functional and dependable EV, one they aren't going to freak out if it gets a scratch or ding on the side from a shopping cart.
That says something about the tyre kickers in TN.

SageBrush said:
knightmb said:
That says something about the tyre kickers in TN.

Or it says we need vehicles not just for the 1% or even the 10%? Most people can't afford a 40k vehicle let alone a 59 thousand dollar model Y. The average household income in the US is just over 65k. Many many are below that. The only reason I ended up with a brand new Leaf was that it ended up costing only a tad more than the used one I was looking at. If your goal is to have fancy cars, then Tesla and Lucid are enough. If it is to truly transition to cleaner, greener transportation, we need more. I actually like the model Y, but I'd never pay 60k for it. IMO That's insane.

On the other hand, without the Tesla folks flipping out over a ding from a rogue shopping cart, Wham Bam Tesla Cam wouldn't be half as fun.

danrjones said:
Or it says we need vehicles not just for the 1% or even the 10%?
Maybe. Or perhaps a large fraction of those people currently driving "cheap" ICE will transition to rentals on demand. One thing is sure though, as @WetEV likes to point out: that group is not relevant today, and will not be for years ... if ever.

You should realize that a future where the currently externalized costs of ICE ownership are resolved makes EV ownership the cheapest private ownership available.

SageBrush said:
danrjones said:
Or it says we need vehicles not just for the 1% or even the 10%?
Maybe. Or perhaps a large fraction of those people currently driving "cheap" ICE will transition to rentals on demand. One thing is sure though, as @WetEV likes to point out: that group is not relevant today, and will not be for years ... if ever.

For years, but eventually. EV prices, long term, are going down below ICE. Cheaper fueling and more reliable drive trains will eventually, decades in the future, displace the "cheap" used ICEs.

Another perspective on a BEV transition:

The world has a strange infatuation with cars. That is part of the reason why the electric car has become the poster child for the fight against climate change, despite its rather limited potential to avoid CO2 emissions.

Behind the rapid growth in battery electric vehicle (BEV) sales lie a wide range of supporting policies. And behind these policies are governments that want to tap every last bit of marketing value from this highly visible climate action poster child. This is why pure BEV companies are now worth as much as the entire legacy auto industry, even though these companies (mainly Tesla) sell only about 1% of global light-duty vehicles.

https://medium.com/climate-conscious/the-10-biggest-problems-with-electric-cars-1db4a80b2631

lorenfb said:
the reason why the electric car has become the poster child for the fight against climate change, despite its rather limited potential to avoid CO2 emissions.
'rather limited' is an oxymoron, and the article is BS.

Transition to EVs is front and central in the AGW fight. Not only is an EV replacing liquid fossil fuels, the transition is enabling the power industry transition.

GCR:
2022 Nissan Ariya: 10 geeky details in 300 mile, $40,000 electric crossover

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1128872_nissan-ariya-revealed-300-mile-electric-crossover[/quote]

. . . In the U.S., the Ariya will compete with electric crossovers such as the Tesla Model Y, the Volkswagen ID.4, the Volvo XC40 Recharge, and the Ford Mustang Mach-E—all of which are in the vicinity of its 182.9-inch length and 109.3-inch wheelbase. . . .

Single-motor versions have more cargo space, too. Apparently Nissan has packaged the single-motor Ariya so efficiently that adding the rear motor raises the cargo floor; the all-wheel-drive model has 14.9 cubic feet with the back seat up, as opposed to 16.5 cubic feet. Cheers to another advantage of making single-motor models front-wheel drive.

The AWD's going to be more than I'm willing to spend on a car, and the seats-up cargo space is pretty ludicrous even for current compact CUVs, albeit almost par for the course in these days of ever-stretching wheelbases towards the tail of the car to maximize rear seat legroom. For comparison, my sub-compact 2003 Forester has a 99.4" wheelbase and is 175.2" long, yet has 32 cu.ft. of seats-up cargo space (64.1 cu.ft. seats down). As I can sit behind myself just fine in it, and I can count on my fingers with one or two to spare the number of times I've had someone in the back seat, all this excess length is useless, indeed counter-productive for me.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Ariya prices need to come down by about 7-10K to be competitive. If I am spending 60K on a SUV, I am going to go up another 10 and get the base Rivian.

Those of us with limited garage space might disagree. :).

And re that, builders need to catch up with the trend to longer cars. Out townhouse built in 2001 has a single car kinda short garage. Our Leaf fit nicely in the garage, our model 3 is okay but our model Y is going to be,,,okay,,, but tight. Glad I can’t afford a model X. :).

I haven’t checked the size of the Arriya compared to the model 3 but it must be close.

Our Kia minivan was 202" funny enough that looks like the R1S is the same length. The Ariya is 181" vs. 176.5" for the Leaf.

Our 2 Leafs fit nicely, but when we had the minivan, we could really only use/enter 1 side of it with the Leaf.

Maybe we need a Leaf XL, with 5 inches of additional boot space?

Is Ariya delayed further?

When peaking at Chicago inventory, it is no longer listed under EVs, and the model year now shows 2023 for Ariya. If Ariya doesn't make it to the US by end of 22, it could risk losing the 7,500 which they need given their steep pricing compared to Kia/Hyundai.

Did anybody just get an email to reserve your Ariya now? Looks like 2023 will be the 1st year and not until fall of 22 at the soonest for initial deliveries.

45-59K across 4 trim lines & 59K if you want awd and the 151 additional hp

edit..they are pulling the Tesla marketing & deducting the federal tax credit from the msrp so that's a LOT more money.

https://www.nissanusa.com/ariya/reserve-overview.html

Back