Official Hyundai Tucson PHEV topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

GCR:
2022 Hyundai Tucson Plug-In Hybrid aiming for 28 miles electric range, Hybrid for 37 mpg

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...-hybrid-28-miles-electric-range-hybrid-37-mpg

Hyundai Motor America on Monday
confirmed U.S. specifications and availability for the hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions of the expressively styled, somewhat larger 2022 Tucson compact SUV lineup. . . .

Hyundai’s hybrid system employs an e-motor system at the input shaft of a 6-speed automatic transmission, with a clutch that allows the engine to decouple from the motor and transmission, allowing some light-load engine-off operation for the Hybrid and an anticipated all-electric range, on a full charge, of 28 miles with the Plug-In Hybrid before it defaults to hybrid operation.

Hyundai lists estimated system-output numbers of 227 hp for the Hybrid and 261 hp for the Plug-In Hybrid. Electric-motor output in the Hybrid is 59 hp (195 lb-ft), and in the Plug-In Hybrid it’s 90 hp (224 lb-ft).

Both variants have the same gasoline engine under the hood—a 1.6-liter turbo-4 making 180 hp and 195 lb-ft of torque—but the Plug-In Hybrid’s big 13.8-kwh battery pack (versus 1.49 kwh for the Hybrid) runs at 360 volts, versus 270V, and has a higher output, of 88 kw versus 64 kw.

These electrified models, versus other models in the Tucson lineup, come only with all-wheel drive, not in the form of an added motor for the rear wheels, but via an “active on-demand” system that most likely sends the majority (or all) of torque through the front wheels most of the time. . . .

Both the Hybrid and the Plug-In Hybrid are rated to tow up to 1,650 pounds without trailer brakes or 2,000 pounds with them. They can also carry up to 220 pounds on roof rails. . . .

Hyundai didn't note anticipated efficiency for the Plug-In Hybrid when it’s running on gas, but its gas tank is smaller at 11.1 gallons as it makes room for the larger battery.

With Level 2 hardware, such as what you might install in the garage or encounter at shopping centers, the Tucson Plug-in Hybrid's 240V 7.2-kw onboard charger will provide a full charge in about two hours.

Technology standouts in the Tucson lineup include a Digital Key system—currently compatible only with Android smartphones—and wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay connectivity, as well as wireless device charging. A full set of Blue Link services are included for three years and make some vehicle controls accessible through apps or devices with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.

Hyundai hasn’t yet provided a rundown of model and trim specifics or pricing, which will be especially important in one of the most competitive segments of the vehicle market. However, the company did say that automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detectino will be included, with active lane control, automatic high beams, and a driver-attention monitor. Adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitors, and a remote parking assistant will be among the options.

Hyundai also confirmed “eco-powertrain availability” for the Santa Fe SUV—detailed in Hybrid form in October—the Santa Cruz pickup, and the Kona compact crossover hatchback. It has previously confirmed the arrival of a fully electric Ioniq 5 SUV, due to arrive by the end of 2021.

The company said that the Hybrid (and non-hybrid) versions of the Tucson will be offered starting in spring 2021, while the Tucson Plug-In Hybrid will arrive in summer 2021.

I'm going to compare this to my recently ordered but will be 1+ year before it comes in according to the dealer, RAV4 PHEV.
Like that this has a 7kw charger, with the RAV4 PHEV you have to get the top of the top line to get a 6.6kw charger, the one I ordered only has a 3.3kw charger :(
Not much HP in EV mode, 90hp :? the RAV4 trounces that.
Of course, 42 miles EV is better than 28 and I like that the RAV4 would give me the full $7.5k federal tax break for its larger battery.
I'm guessing the RAV4 will get superior ICE MPG but as they haven't announced it for the Tucson PHEV I guess time will tell.
I'm guessing?? the Tucson PHEV will lack the heat pump heater but again time will tell.
I believe tow ratings are the same, no mention the RAV4 needs trailer breaking.
Kind of worry about the tiny 11.1g gas tank on the Tucson, bet it won't get the almost 700-mile range of the RAV4 PHEV.
Nice to see more competition though in the non-luxury priced small PHEV SUV market.

The Tucson's smaller size and pack/AER, and a possible increase in Hwy MPG compared to the RAV4, along with what should be an MSRP lower by a couple of grand, are a better fit for my needs. OTOH, according to ABG the climate controls will all be haptic on the touch screen, which I hate: https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/09/2022-hyundai-tucson-us-debut/

We'll have to wait for more details and some test drive reviews to see how well they executed. I just wish to hell GM had done this car 5 years ago, instead of or alongside the Volt 2.

Some more details, via GCC:
Hyundai adds 2022 Tucson Plug-In Hybrid and N Line models

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/03/2021031n7-tucso.html

. . . Tucson’s new Plug-in Hybrid model features an estimated 261 horsepower, 1.6-liter turbocharged, direct-injected hybrid powertrain coupled with a six-speed automatic transmission. The Plug-in Hybrid battery is larger than the hybrid battery, with 13.8 kWh of power, yielding an estimated all-electric range (AER) of 32 miles and estimated fuel economy of 70 MPGe.

Plug-in Hybrid Level-II charging capability is well under two hours to recharge the system using a 7.2kW on-board charger. The Plug-in Hybrid powerplant delivers power through a PHEV-tuned six-speed automatic transmission for smoothness and efficiency, with an estimated combined fuel economy rating of 30 mpg with all-wheel drive. The Plug-in Hybrid even offers a tow rating of 2,000 lbs. . . .

Well, it gets better MPG than the Outlander. :roll: Call me underwhelmed.

Yes pretty disappointed with the ICE MPG, well at least I still have my deposit on the RAV4 PHEV, should only be a year or more wait :(

Looks like Hyundai was being conservative. IEVS:
Hyundai Tucson PHEV Gets EPA Range Rating

https://insideevs.com/news/526652/hyundai-tucson-phev-epa-range/

. . . The prices are not yet announced, but the battery capacity qualifies for $6,587 of the federal tax credit.

2022 Hyundai Tucson PHEV

The EPA Combined all-electric range is 33 miles (53 km), but in the city, the car should be able to go 35 miles (56 km), which is equal to the European WLTP range rating.

The combined energy consumption in EV mode is quite substantial at 421 Wh/mi (262 Wh/km).

The total EPA range is 420 miles (676 km).

2022 Hyundai Tucson PHEV :: EPA Range rating by InsideEVs

[Charge Depleting 2-cycle, Charge Sustaining 5-cycle]
All-electric
Combined
City
Highway 0-33 mi (0-53.1 km)
33 mi (53.1 km)
35.03 mi (56.4 km)
29.72 mi (47.8 km)

EPA Energy consumption in EV mode (including charging losses):
Combined
City
Highway 80 MPGe: 421 Wh/mi (262 Wh/km)
87 MPGe: 387 Wh/mi (241 Wh/km)
74 MPGe: 455 Wh/mi (283 Wh/km)

EPA Energy consumption in HEV mode:
Combined
City
Highway 35 MPG
35 MPG
35 MPG

Total range (EV+HEV): 420 mi (676 km)

2022 Hyundai Tucson PHEV specs:

about 56 km (35 miles) of WLTP all-electric range
33 miles (53 km) of EPA all-electric range
estimated fuel economy of 80 MPGe
13.8 kWh battery
360 V system, battery output 88 kW
all-wheel drive
system output: 261 horsepower (265 PS) and 350 Nm of torque
1.6-liter turbocharged, direct-injected gasoline engine (180 hp/195 lb.-ft.) with a six-speed automatic transmission plus a 66.9 kW/304 Nm (224 lb.-ft.) electric motor
7.2 kW on-board charger (less than two hours to recharge the system)
558 litres overall for luggage with the seats up and up to 1,737 litres with the seats folded
Towing Capacity (w/ trailer brakes): 2,000 lbs (907 kg)
Towing Capacity (w/o trailer brakes): 1,650 lbs (748 kg)

Much better MPG than Initally announced. Still falls a bit short of the RAV4 Prime for AER and mpg, but will hopefully be a fair amount cheaper given the smaller battery. Like the Prime it's bigger than I want, but if the price is decent I could see it. And the more PEV options in this segment, the better.

GCR:
2022 Hyundai Tucson Plug-In Hybrid pricing undercuts Toyota RAV4 Prime

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...in-hybrid-pricing-undercuts-toyota-rav4-prime

. . . First spotted by CarsDirect, the Tucson Plug-In Hybrid will start at $35,975 (including a mandatory $1,225 destination charge) for the base SEL trim level. The fancier Limited trim level will start at $43,775.

The 2022 Hyundai Tucson Plug-In Hybrid doesn't match up to the Toyota RAV4 Prime in electric range or gas mileage, but it does undercut the Toyota in price.

The base price makes the Tucson Plug-In Hybrid $3,590 cheaper than the 2021 RAV4 Prime, which starts at $39,565, CarsDirect noted. Toyota hasn't release pricing for the 2022 RAV4 Prime yet.

However, the RAV4 Prime qualifies for the full $7,500 federal EV tax credit, thanks to its 18.1-kwh battery pack. With its 13.8-kwh pack, Hyundai expects the Tucson Plug-In Hybrid to qualify for a $6,587 federal tax credit, narrowing the effective price gap to $2,677, according to CarsDirect.

EPA ratings for the Tucson Plug-In Hybrid include 33 miles of electric range and 35-mpg combined fuel economy. In comparison, the RAV4 Prime boasts 42 miles of electric range, with a 38-mpg combined fuel-economy rating.

The Tucson Plug-In Hybrid uses a 1.6-liter turbocharged engine and 6-speed automatic transmission, with a single electric motor. At 261 horsepower, total system output lags behind the RAV4 Prime's 302-hp output.

We haven't driven the Tucson Plug-In Hybrid yet, but we've found both the Tucson Hybrid and the larger Santa Fe Hybrid to have great drivability, especially in American-style commute conditions—although they clearly don't deliver the same mpg as Toyota models in lower-speed city driving. . . .

Back