Volkswagen ID.4 CUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read how to open or close all 4 windows simultaneously despite only having 2 buttons. I will test that function when I'm back in town. If it works like I think it will, I will drop that objection.

And I just read that I can change the settings so that the AC turns on as soon as I unlock the door. When I get home, I will test this setting. That could cancel that annoyance I noted above.

I found out that I can increase or lower the A/C fan speed through voice prompts. While I would still prefer traditional dedicated buttons or a dial for this aspect, this does allow me to not have to take my eyes off the road for an extended period to go through the center touchscreen to make that adjustment.

Now I need to find how to easily hang up on scam calls that I've answered through Apple Carplay. When the call comes in, it displays the number and gives an option to answer on the touchscreen. But once I answer, that screen goes away and I seem to be captive with no way to hang up without moving through screens to get there and find the right button. I get a fair number of important calls that aren't in my directory, so I still need to answer unrecognized numbers. Every other car I've gotten in the last 20 years had the answer and hang up buttons on the steering wheel. Why would they do away with that?

We have an active reservation for one, not sure if we will actually buy it. Our son just started a new job and is using our Prius, so we might need a car soon.

Definitely starting to see ID.4 sighting rates increase. After seeing one a month ago, saw another a couple of days back and then two today. Still fee and far between, but they're getting out there. For comparison, I've seen two Mach-Es so far.

GRA said:
Definitely starting to see ID.4 sighting rates increase. After seeing one a month ago, saw another a couple of days back and then two today. Still fee and far between, but they're getting out there. For comparison, I've seen two Mach-Es so far.

There are a bunch listed on dealer websites around the LA greater area. My plan was to sell or trade in my leaf this fall for whatever eV ended up being the best value. (I have a spreadsheet! lol) But the current auto market conditions may prohibit my search until deals start appearing again. Interestingly, the bottom trim Audi Etron Q4 may be priced almost the same as the top trim VW Id4. Which would you pick under that scenario?

In general, I'm averse to paying several K more for a hood ornament or grill, but as I haven't looked at or driven a Q4 I won't venture an opinion, except to say that I rarely want all the bells and whistles that are piled onto the top trim.

I agree that prices this year are likely to stay high, and since I think the Ionic 5 is probably the best current match for me I was planning to wait until I could try one in any case. Depending on the details of their 1 and 3 month subscriptions I may give one of those a shot.

Regardless, none of the currently available BEVs have the range/charging speed/price that would make them a good match for my road trip needs, so at most I'd lease.

GRA said:
Regardless, none of the currently available BEVs have the range/charging speed/price that would make them a good match for my road trip needs, so at most I'd lease.

I totally agree. Our long term plan is to keep our 2018 Outback for road trips. I'm hoping it will be the last ICE vehicle I'll ever buy. It should have plenty of years left in it.

That's the rub - if you are a single car family, it can be tough to have just an EV, but with two or more vehicles, having one as a EV works great.
Heck, my Leaf has terrible range, but its not a problem. Anytime we need to go distance we sue the Outback.

The only wrinkle in this plan is what happens when my son starts driving, and if he takes the Outback to college.

And yes, I'm sure someone will tell me all trips can be done in a Tesla.... but everyone's needs are different, not to mention their location.

danrjones said:
GRA said:

I totally agree. Our long term plan is to keep our 2018 Outback for road trips. I'm hoping it will be the last ICE vehicle I'll ever buy. It should have plenty of years left in it.

That's the rub - if you are a single car family, it can be tough to have just an EV, but with two or more vehicles, having one as a EV works great.
Heck, my Leaf has terrible range, but its not a problem. Anytime we need to go distance we sue the Outback.

The only wrinkle in this plan is what happens when my son starts driving, and if he takes the Outback to college.

And yes, I'm sure someone will tell me all trips can be done in a Tesla.... but everyone's needs are different, not to mention their location.

One car household can work. I have been since 2018. Its a lifestyle change and I would have a hard time classifying it as "tough." Besides my gasser was literally doing nothing. Before getting rid of it, I realized that nearly 90% of the trips made were to keep it from fading away. Had nothing to do with the range of my EV.

Some will, some won't. I have not had the desire to set records on a road trip in several years and I like it that way.

Another EV only family here since 2018, although 1.5 cars in our case:

1 long range
1 short range

I'll guess that it is pretty typical for any extra vehicles to only need short range. The detail I find interesting in this is that the 0.5 EV is cheaper than ICE, and it leaves money to spend on the long range EV which is more expensive than ICE. It was certainly true in our case. We spent

$40k for our LR Tesla
$7k for our short range LEAF

And of course if fuel savings are considered then not only is EV/PV the ethical thing to do, it is the smart money thing to do.

We are also a two-car family, Leaf and a Toyota Highlander.

Leaf is for short-medium range (we drive it all over Colorado).
Highlander is for long-range and for driving off pavement to trailheads where we don't want to get the Leaf dirty.

We may eventually replace the Highlander with a PHEV, but no rush. 90% of our mileage goes on the Leaf.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Besides my gasser was literally doing nothing. Before getting rid of it, I realized that nearly 90% of the trips made were to keep it from fading away. Had nothing to do with the range of my EV.

Some will, some won't. I have not had the desire to set records on a road trip in several years and I like it that way.

Similar here. I have two cars, one BEV and one PHEV. Once I upgrade the BEV to a Bolt, I only drive the PHEV within its electric range. The only times the car exceeded that were specifically to stretch its legs and burn out some stale gas; the Bolt would actually have been the preferred vehicle.

So finally I sold it and picked up a Mini SE. Instead of having "gas anxiety" I now have a car that is an absolute riot to drive! And years with a 73-mile 2012 Leaf helped me appreciate the 110-mile SE as having far more than enough range!

I may trade up the Bolt to an ID.4 sooner rather than later since it has more cargo space and a much better DC charging curve.

GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Besides my gasser was literally doing nothing. Before getting rid of it, I realized that nearly 90% of the trips made were to keep it from fading away. Had nothing to do with the range of my EV.

Similar here. I have two cars, one BEV and one PHEV. Once I upgrade the BEV to a Bolt, I only drive the PHEV within its electric range. The only times the car exceeded that were specifically to stretch its legs and burn out some stale gas; the Bolt would actually have been the preferred vehicle.

So finally I sold it and picked up a Mini SE. Instead of having "gas anxiety" I now have a car that is an absolute riot to drive! And years with a 73-mile 2012 Leaf helped me appreciate the 110-mile SE as having far more than enough range!

I may trade up the Bolt to an ID.4 sooner rather than later since it has more cargo space and a much better DC charging curve.

If you are looking for cargo space, its hard to beat the ID4. Its huge and 3 years of free charging is quite attractive. I have 3 EA's within 6½ miles of me including 2 within 3 miles of me so I would literally not charge at home at all for those 3 years.

DaveinOlyWA said:

Unfortunately none of the VW dealers near me seem to be giving any ground (yet) on the price of ID4s. Basically MSRP.

Yes, you get the tax credit, but they are asking 46k (or more) for the pro S model, which is what the dealers around me seem to have.
The few base models I see are priced at 41949. Even after tax credit, that's too much for me.

One reason I picked my leaf was value. It only cost me slightly over 15k, new. That's value.

danrjones said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Unfortunately none of the VW dealers near me seem to be giving any ground (yet) on the price of ID4s. Basically MSRP.

Yes, you get the tax credit, but they are asking 46k (or more) for the pro S model, which is what the dealers around me seem to have.
The few base models I see are priced at 41949. Even after tax credit, that's too much for me.

One reason I picked my leaf was value. It only cost me slightly over 15k, new. That's value.

I am rather surprised you were expecting something different during the current climate. Cars are in high demand based on chip news so the market is not dealing on much of anything right now. Sure you have "perceived" deals on cars but are they? Cause they aren't. They are simply selling for the norm MSRP minus sales incentives...

So you have the ID 4 with no incentive history. Par for course that they aren't dealing.

The ID4 isn't all that desirable to me. Size is more than I want/need. Too bad the ID3 didn't make it here. I probably would have had a lot more interest in that. And there is also the LEAF thing. My deal wasn't great but then again, I had a 2018 with 20 months of lease left weighing me down but still did ok. Right now, buying it out at $19 K is looking like a doable move.

DaveinOlyWA said:
I am rather surprised you were expecting something different during the current climate. Cars are in high demand based on chip news so the market is not dealing on much of anything right now. Sure you have "perceived" deals on cars but are they? Cause they aren't. They are simply selling for the norm MSRP minus sales incentives...

So you have the ID 4 with no incentive history. Par for course that they aren't dealing.

The ID4 isn't all that desirable to me. Size is more than I want/need. Too bad the ID3 didn't make it here. I probably would have had a lot more interest in that. And there is also the LEAF thing. My deal wasn't great but then again, I had a 2018 with 20 months of lease left weighing me down but still did ok. Right now, buying it out at $19 K is looking like a doable move.

No, you are correct, I'm not expecting great deals right now, which is why I'll probably wait until there are. Or look at Bolts or Leafs.
TBD. I have a $100 reservation for a Ioniq 5 (and a Cyber Truck as well) but I'm not getting warm fuzzies about when they will be out.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

If you are looking for cargo space, its hard to beat the ID4. Its huge and 3 years of free charging is quite attractive. I have 3 EA's within 6½ miles of me including 2 within 3 miles of me so I would literally not charge at home at all for those 3 years.

Good to know. We recently added a third child to our family and the Bolt is ... tight for 5 people plus a small dog to travel in. The 6 of us went camping last weekend and even with the 16cuft roofbox, things were stacked on laps. Not ideal.

I have one EA locally, and others well placed for everywhere I travel. The trouble is, the local EA is across the parking lot from a Starbucks. I would end up squandering money I'm not spending to charge at home (at 5 cents/kWh overnight) on Frappuccinos!

The other major benefit of the ID.4 is it could tow my boat. No more need to borrow a truck twice a year (which isn't really a big deal).

GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
GetOffYourGas said:

Good to know. We recently added a third child to our family and the Bolt is ... tight for 5 people plus a small dog to travel in. The 6 of us went camping last weekend and even with the 16cuft roofbox, things were stacked on laps. Not ideal.

I have one EA locally, and others well placed for everywhere I travel. The trouble is, the local EA is across the parking lot from a Starbucks. I would end up squandering money I'm not spending to charge at home (at 5 cents/kWh overnight) on Frappuccinos!

The other major benefit of the ID.4 is it could tow my boat. No more need to borrow a truck twice a year (which isn't really a big deal).

Same here. I always try to support local businesses anywhere I charge. Have been exposed to a lot of new eating experiences and its become a hobby of mine. I decided to spend my entire stimulus on local owned restaurants (chains not included) I am up to 29 locations and yeah, it includes a bunch of local favorites but also several while roadtripping.

As far as size, the ID 4 is pretty much the same size as mid size SUV.

Back