Lucid Motors Air

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GCR:
Lucid Air electric sedan
charging EV time: 300 miles in 20 minutes

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...e-fastest-charging-ev-300-miles-in-20-minutes

The Air’s AC onboard charger can handle up to 19.2 kw—suggesting 80A drawn, and a dedicated 100A home or commercial circuit to support. The payoff of such an arrangement is the recovery of up to 80 miles per hour on Level 2—approaching the rate at which some earlier EVs can recover miles via fast-charging.

It also notes that the Air will automatically boost its voltage when needed to charge at the quickest possible rate. By the sound of it that’s a big step up from the Porsche Taycan, which offers 50-kw fast-charging capability at 400V, with 150-kw capability optional.

Lucid says that the charging system has full bi-directionality for advanced V2X capabilities—including the future enablement of vehicle-to-grid (V2G) and vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) technology. . . .

U.S. buyers of the Air will be able to take advantage of this very fast charging for three years on the Electrify America network free of charge. . . .

If they actually can manage that in the real world, that's the kind of rate/range needed to be acceptable to the general public as a full ICE replacement, as it's equivalent to a fast food stop. 5, 10 or 15 minutes would be better still, but I think 300 (Hwy)/20 would be good enough for most.

Of course, it will be years yet before a BEV with that kind of recharging speed and range is available at a mass market price, but it's something to look forward to.

Lucid Air announced. Production early next year.
Range 517 miles.
113kWh in the battery to get that 517 miles of range. No price given.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33797162/2021-lucid-air-517-mile-range-113-kwh-battery/

The launch event was amazing.

While well out of my price range, this is going to be the car that gets you to put that car poster back up on the wall.

Just one lottery ticket away.

I'll guess that Lucid was none too happy with I-95 taking Labor day off, courtesy of EA.

In any event, Lucid's game is to be bought by a fossil incumbent staring death in the face from Tesla. I wish I knew if it will happen before BK.

True...the 3rd finger, Lucid tech in other cars, he kept mentioning. I think he'll be open to sale (become the luxury brand for an existing automaker) and/or licensing of the tech to drive additional early revenue, kind of like what Tesla tried with Toyota.

In other mostly unrelated news, GM invested $2B in NKLA.
That is the sort of play I expect surrounding Lucid (if not a complete purchase of the company)... but Lucid is a real company with real tech, and NKLA is a scam

Poor, stupid GM.

Addendum (9/11): A research analyst declares NKLA a fraud
https://www.teslarati.com/nikola-motor-hindenburg-research/

Welp, there goes GM's investment -- in legal fees

300 miles at real world highway speeds let's say takes 100kwh.
To move 100kwh in 1/3 of an hour is 300kw assuming it's 100% efficient charging.
Yeah sounds like there hunting unicorns.
Unless they're assuming people are going to drive 45mph like they're on the blue Ridge parkway.
If GM builds it then it's going to be some rebadged buick with a battery.
Buying fenix and producing replacement leaf upgrade batteries would have been a better investment.

This article talks about the efficiency of the Air, including thermal management of the battery and motor.
How the ‘Dead Zone’ Could Help This Car Take on Tesla
https://www.wired.com/story/lucid-air-efficient-powertrain/

How Lucid achieves this efficiency comes down to myriad small and large design and engineering decisions—but also the not-insignificant detail that many staffers, including two of the leading engineering minds, came from Tesla. The team sought to apply the same engineering that helped Tesla succeed to the work at Lucid, focusing on component lightness, low-drag aerodynamics, and, perhaps most critically, cooling.

Yes, cooling—and not just of the battery. Though that does indeed heat up significantly during use, requiring persistent circulation of cooling fluid, the motor itself is also a significant heat source that can sap efficiency if not carefully managed. “There's a good reason some people are skeptical about our range and efficiency, but we don't believe our solution is vaporware. It's very genuine,” says CEO and CTO Peter Rawlinson, who was the vice-president of engineering at Tesla during the Model S development a decade ago. “In terms of just cooling the motor, everything else looks super old fashioned.”

So, I went out to grab some fast food today and do a few things. I swung by an Electrify America site (near the fast food and to see if they were set to complimentary session) and woah, a Lucid Air was on a CCS DC FC. It wasn't painted w/a normal paint scheme but not camouflage either. I thought I saw Air or Lucid Air writing on it (was dark).

I spoke to the woman waiting inside and she said I can look on the outside. I didn't want to pressure her too much on whether she was charging or testing for compatibility. She said she was just charging. Interestingly, at that EA site, the chargers are only rated at "150 kW", not 350 kW but I saw the car at 166 kW (!) per the charger's display at about 37% SoC. I told her about Plugshare which she didn't seem to know about. I mentioned she was on BTC Power EA chargers and that there were some new Signet EA ones that opened up. I showed her the app + the location of those new Signet chargers to which she said "wow, there are pictures".

I told her about some of the other vendors of DC FC providers in the area (e.g. ABB on EVgo, ChargePoint nearby, BTC Power EVgo, Delta EVgo further away, etc) and pointed her on the direction of some nearby non-EA DC FCs, in the event they wanted to test compatibility.

By the time I left, she was at 144ish kW. I did peek inside the car's displays and the leftmost display definitely had some debugging not meant for the consumer values.

I noticed she was paying the regular 43 cent per kWh rate not Pass+. I mentioned to her that for $4/mo, it'll take the rate down to 31 cents per kWh. From the conversation, it didn't seem like she was an EV enthusiast.

The Bolt + Taycan driver I know I've met at this EA site a bunch of times. I don't think he can pass 150 kW on them. He told me the 350 kW chargers aren't at that site and only near highways (e.g. in Gilroy). IIRC, he hits past 250 kW on those. Tonight's site is the same site where I'd previously seen an e-Tron BEV pull up, plug in and hit ~140ish kW.

So now that the 500 mile range S Plaid Plus is cancelled, how will Tesla match Lucid? I was a bit surprised, given how Tesla (Musk) wants to be the best in everything, that they don't want to compete with Lucid.

cwerdna said:
Interestingly, at that EA site, the chargers are only rated at "150 kW", not 350 kW but I saw the car at 166 kW (!) per the charger's display at about 37% SoC.

Some early chargers were rated at maximum voltage and maximum current such as: 500V and 100 A rated as "50 kW".

EA doesn't seem do that. Over 150kW seems common at peak rate with the e-tron. I've seen 154kW to 157kW range

I noticed at one under construction EA site locally that the CCS chargers were all capable of 350kW, even though the signs on them say they're just 150kW. I'm guessing limited by the capacity

GCR:
First drive review: 2022 Lucid Air delivers a new leading edge for EVs

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...lucid-air-delivers-a-new-leading-edge-for-evs

Up until now, thos buying premium electric cars have faced a stark dilemma: Either choose the EV that represents the leading edge of performance, range, and efficiency—yes, that would be the Tesla—or choose the EV that’s a more holistic luxury car in terms of features, styling, refinement, and build quality.

The 2022 Lucid Air, with its EPA range rating of up to 520 miles, and its shockingly small, “miniaturized” motors, gearbox, and inverter, should signal a reckoning for Tesla—and it’s clearly rattled its crosstown rival. More than that, it’s the new leading edge for EV technology. The Air doesn’t mimic Tesla’s preeminence, but builds on it with a car that, from our first look, could be even more impressive. . . .

A comprehensive assessment of the car will have to come later. In the meantime, here are a few key observations for the EV-savvy to help distinguish Lucid’s flagship from the rest of the crowd—and from Tesla.

2022 Lucid Air

Mind-boggling thrust into triple-digits
I tested the Air in its debut $169,000 Dream Edition Performance form, with the full 1,111 hp, which enables a 0-60-mph time of as little as 2.5 seconds, and a quarter-mile time of 9.9 seconds. My drive didn’t include a launch from a standing start, but it did include one quick burst of, well, more than a few seconds. And separately, from a 10-mph rolling start, I floored the accelerator, arriving at about 80 mph in three-something seconds. From a brief sample, the Air’s propulsion system has a sharpness and eagerness at nearly triple-digit speeds that I’ve never before felt in an electric car—yes, the Porsche Taycan and Tesla Model S included, although I haven’t yet driven the Model S Plaid.

Tuned for comfort and fun
Based on this short introduction, the ride and handling are a most pleasant surprise. The feel is fluid yet tidy. Heading into a decreasing radius exit ramp, the front end loaded up predictably and on the exit I could feel just a bit of weight transfer to the back. If I would have had an open stretch of tarmac like a skidpad, I would have tested if the Air is as willing to send power to the rear as it teases. A car with a curb weight of 5,050 pounds isn’t going to be a rally racer or autocross champion.. However, given this small sample, it appears the Air will still manage to be fun.

The Air has no air suspension
Pausing to look at the layout for a moment: Lucid considered an air suspension, like what’s used by Tesla in the Model S, but decided against it, mostly for one simple word that kept coming up: predictability. Lucid explained a coil-and-air-spring setup has hysteresis, or lag, which started to lead to compromises in the damping that would affect ride and handling.

We like the isolating yet responsive configuration the team came up with instead. The Air has a five-link strut front suspension, with an integral-link setup in back, with solenoid-controlled active dampers at all four wheels. The five-link front arrangement was added late in the Air’s development and was designed to purge torque steer and make sure that understeer and weight transfer stay the same whether in regenerative braking or foundation (friction) braking. The Air has a mechanical variable steering rack that has a very confident, easygoing feel on center.

No need for launch mode—but maybe fast-charge preconditioning
Buyers won’t need any special workarounds or special conditioning to rip off 2.5-second 0-60 mph runs. They’ll just have to activate Sprint mode and have more than a half a charge. There are no limits on repeatability either.

Fast-charging can actually be more demanding on the battery, and owners may need to precondition the car, with interface details yet to be announced. The Air has the fastest DC fast-charging in the industry, at an actual 300-kw peak charging power. Don’t get this confused with other EVs that list compatibility with 350-kw fast-charge connectors; the Air makes darn close to the most of it. At a consumption of 4 miles per kwh, Lucid says that amounts to up to a 1,200-mile-per-hour peak charging speed. Or, in terms of actual charging stops, 300 miles added in 20 minutes. . . .

And much more.

Wall Street Journal's Dan Neil's Rumble Seat column 10/29/2021:
"2022 Lucid Air: At Last, a Worthy Tesla Opponent
With industry-leading range and a dual-motor array maxing out at 1,111 hp, the Lucid Air Dream
Edition Performance marks the arrival of another serious contender in the electric luxury-sedan
market ...$169,000.

NOW IT STARTS to get interesting.
After a decade as the lonely avatar of what comes next, Tesla’s Model S finally has some
right-proper competition in the electric luxury-sedan market: the 2022 Lucid Air.
Designed in California and built in Arizona, the Air’s headline-making numbers are an
estimated 451-520 miles of range, depending on model/trim—figures that handily exceed
Tesla’s long-legged Model S Long Range (405 miles).

Powertrain: Battery electric vehicle architecture, with front and rear-mounted
permanent magnet AC synchronous motors with integrated liquid cooling and power
electronics, permanent AWD, liquid-cooled 118 kWh lithium-ion battery pack
Length/width/height/wheelbase: 195.9/76.3/55.5/116.5 inches
Curb weight: 5,236 pounds
Maximum power/torque: 1,111 hp/1.025 lb-ft
EPA estimated range: 451 miles (with 21-inch wheels)
0-60 mph: 2.42 seconds
1/4 mile: 9.67 seconds
Cargo volume: 22 cubic feet"

And finally, "If all goes well, Mr. Rawlinson said, the Arizona facility will fully
ramp up production capacity over the next two years."

Is the epa mileage 2 cycle or 5 cycle with Lucid? Part of the illusion with the Tesla numbers is that they are 5 cycle, which is less meaningful in all but perfect conditions.

Wltp is a better apples to apples comparison, though optimistic.

Bouldergramp said:
Wall Street Journal's Dan Neil's Rumble Seat column 10/29/2021:
"2022 Lucid Air: At Last, a Worthy Tesla Opponent

(PLEASE: if you post an article from the WSJ, please include the link to the article)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/2022-lucid-air-at-last-a-worthy-tesla-opponent-11635508800
https://archive.md/wIXey

Back