ZE1 Reverse camera black screen

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giony

I just bought a ZE1 leaf 2019 and I am getting an intermittent black screen on the reverse camera (caused by the opening/closing of the trunk)
Sounds to me like a loose cable.
How can I get at the reverse camera plug and ensure it is not loose?
Do I have to take out the trunk interior trim or the exterior one, the piano black one with the nissan logo on it?
Anyone has any trim removal guides to share?

This happened to me when still under warranty for a 2018. Intermittently the reverse camera would be black screen. I took to dealer, and it had the issue at check in. But when the technician took it around back it worked fine, so the dealer did nothing.

I ended up taking the interior cover off the hatch to access the cables to the camera. I kept the cover off for a few hundred trips. The cables looked fine, and the connection looked fine. I pulled off the connectors and reconnected them. I couldn't pinpoint the exact problem but wiggling the cables would bring the camera feed back on. Went it was more frequent I planned to just replace the camera, but I couldn't find an OEM replacement part (out of stock everywhere at the time). I put dielectric grease on connectors and I secured the cables more thoroughly with zip ties. The problem has only happened very rarely since then.

I don't have a guide to share on removing the interior trim. There are several plastic retainers accessible by the handle you use to close the hatch, take out all those visible retainers. Remove the plastic handle. Then trim will Pop straight out (straight down towards ground when hatch fully open) with a lot of force. The hard part is getting the trim piece back in place.

From the above description, I'm guessing that it's that extremely frustrating electrical gremlin: a wire broken inside a perfectly intact insulating sheath. I had that happen to a P1800E once: sometimes it ran perfectly, others it wouldn't even sputter. The invisible broken wire was the ignition Primary wire. :(

I have the same problem with my 2018 model S. It is an intermittent problem...the worst kind. Ever since the car was new, when the screen is black in reverse, I get out, open and slam the rear hatch and it works for weeks or months.

My '19 SL has been having this same problem recently. Basically behaves like a loose connection. Open and re-close the hatch brings it back to functioning.

Back