Reusing Leaf Winter Wheels on a Leaf Plus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffInCO

I just traded in my 2015 Leaf SV for a 2019 Leaf Plus SL. I'm going to miss the 2015; there were some aspects of it that I liked better, but the range, performance, and features of the 2019 are definitely very nice.

For the 2015, I had a separate set of 16" wheels with Blizzak winter tires. I kept these, with the intention of installing them on the 2019 Plus. I haven't tried this yet, and was wondering if anyone else has installed their earlier Leaf wheels on a Leaf plus. Specific questions:

1) Is the bolt pattern the same? I think yes...

2) I ordered the winter wheels from TireRack a few years ago with the recommended centering ring. Anyone know if the hub diameter is the same on the plus? Do I need different centering rings?

3) The winter wheels have their own TPMS sensors with unique ID's (they're not the cloned variety). On the 2015, I always used the LeafSpy Pro tire registration procedure when switching from summer to winter wheels or vise-versa. Anyone know if this will work on the Plus? (I have noticed that Leaf Spy Pro does not report the tire pressures for Plus. I'm seeing grayed-out pressures from the last time I ran Leaf Spy on the 2015).

4) Anyone know about recalibrating the speedometer for 16" vs 17" wheels on the plus? I never got this to work right on the 2015 (tried changing the calibration value on the audio/nav unit after the magic button push sequence to no effect).

Thanks!

Jeff

Wheels from 2015 should fit, but I have not tried my spare from 2011 and 2015 yet. Tire pressure sensors are different (rubber stems instead of aluminium) so the older ones may or may not be compatible with 2019.

Based on wheel-size.com, it looks like the winter wheels should fit fine. I'll report back how it goes, and whether I'm able to relearn the TPMS Id's with leafspy.

The pinch weld jack points are a little bit odd on the Plus, in that there is a bump that protrudes downward an extra 1/4" or so on the back/inner side of the pinch welds, so that the point of the jack that contacts the frame would have uneven force applied between the front and the back (tending to twist the contact point of a scissor jack). Wonder why they did this, and whether there's any kind of adapter that would work well with this?

Jeff

I bought a couple of used hockey pucks and cut a groove in the middle of them. This is for a floor jack as my 2017 Leaf didn't come with a jack.

Does the 2019 include a scissor jack or are you just using a generic one? The hockey pucks aren't required but they are very stout and should protect the paint, if nothing else. I think they actually make the connection between jack and car more secure, but that is using a floor jack. Not sure how they would work with a scissor jack.

Goldbrick -- I probably will use my a floor jack. I was just pointing out that the uneven surfaces on either side of the notched pinch welds would really wreak havoc with a scissor jack.

With the floor jack and a notched puck, it will place uneven forces on the two sides of the notch which also seems not so good.

The Plus came with the same old cigarette lighter compressor and can of goo. No spare, and no jack :-(

With the 2015, I figured I'd just have my wife or son bring me a wheel from the other set (winter/summer)... good enough to make it home within the limited range.

With the 2019 and 200+ miles of range, a proper spare/jack/tire iron setup seems like a much more interesting proposition.

Jeff

Back