range/efficiency maximization with heater

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
No reference but I think 100% once a week or so is good for the battery.

I'm beginning to believe that too. I've been only charging to 100% once a month, but I may switch that to once a week because the last three charges have shown a decrease each time in the SOC% at 80% charging. Tonight, after an 80% charge, CarWings reported ten bars/83%, but the SOC gauge showed only 75%. It used to be 77%.

LEAFfan said:
smkettner said:

I'm beginning to believe that too. I've been only charging to 100% once a month, but I may switch that to once a week because the last three charges have shown a decrease each time in the SOC% at 80% charging. Tonight, after an 80% charge, CarWings reported ten bars/83%, but the SOC gauge showed only 75%. It used to be 77%.

I believe that as well. We have 2 Leafs. Mine is charged 80% most of the time and the range is less than that of my wife's Leaf that we regularly charge 100% 3-4 times per week. Her Leaf's battery definitely feels stronger in range.

ILETRIC said:
Why are you worrying about the battery? What's with this wimpy 80% nonsense? It's made to take the 100% charge. . .
Just be aware that if you leave the house with 100%, you have no regen braking until it drops a bit. It caught me by surprise the first time this happened to us. Where before I was safely maintaining my downhill speed with regen at 80% charge, the car would pick up speed without regen at 100% charge. The brakes worked just fine, but it was the "why isn't this thing slowing down" delay that caused the momentary flicker of the MASTER CAUTION warning light. :shock:

Was it Dale Carnegie who said: stop worrying and start living? And he was a successful man. 100% all the way, folks.

Hey, maybe that battery does have a bit of a memory issue after all. Use it or lose it applies. Just food for thought...

By the way I replaced that baby horn with a 2-tone American roadster type - now I get to scare people on the freeway and get some road respect too. (I'm chuckling here...) :twisted:

HighDesertDriver said:
ILETRIC said:
Why are you worrying about the battery? What's with this wimpy 80% nonsense? It's made to take the 100% charge. . .
Just be aware that if you leave the house with 100%, you have no regen braking until it drops a bit.
My Leaf seems to have some regen at 100% when the climate control is working hard such as when the heater is on.

smkettner said:
My Leaf seems to have some regen at 100% when the climate control is working hard such as when the heater is on.
Yes, that would seem to make sense, being that the heater could be a good dump for moderate amounts of regen power. For our few cool mornings so far, we've missed sending sending regen to the heater because of preheating while plugged in on the charger. Good tip! :p Thanks.

For battery longevity issues look no further than your cell fone. The real enemy is high temps. thats why Nissan provided a battery cooling system. After ringing out the dealers demon we could hear the system circulating. Evewry one charges their cell phones 100%. We have some that are 10 yrs. old and still provide optimal service! Nicads will exhibit memory not lion.

tech01 said:
The real enemy is high temps. thats why Nissan provided a battery cooling system. After ringing out the dealers demon we could hear the system circulating.

Nissan did not provide any active cooling of any kind for the battery.

The cooling system you hear is for the charger (behind the rear seats), the inverter and the electric AC traction motor, both under the hood.

Thanks, Tony, for clearing that one out. Tesla and Ford Focus have active batt temp management. Leaf does not. Tesla pooh-poohs Leaf for not having one. Now Tesla needs to stop talking big and sell some metal, right?

Ok I stand corrected about batry cooling. Scheduled for January delivery. There are two new questions. What all is powered by the regular car battery? Would it be be better to install a larger deep cycle battery like those used in sump pump applications?

Does anyone have experience with snow tires? Are the stock tires adequate for light snow?

tech01 said:
Ok I stand corrected about batry cooling. Scheduled for January delivery. There are two new questions. What all is powered by the regular car battery? Would it be be better to install a larger deep cycle battery like those used in sump pump applications?

Why do you need this huge battery? What's the advantage you're trying to gain? There's no big amperage load because there's no electric starter turning a big clunky ICE to start it. You don't need a huge battery.

Actually, you need a smaller battery.

Does anyone have experience with snow tires? Are the stock tires adequate for light snow?

At least one of our Canadian LEAF drivers has equipped his car with snow tires. He'd be a good one to ask.

http://canadianleaf.wordpress.com/2011/11/05/first-road-trip/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mxp said:
LEAFfan said:
smkettner said:
I believe that as well. We have 2 Leafs. Mine is charged 80% most of the time and the range is less than that of my wife's Leaf that we regularly charge 100% 3-4 times per week. Her Leaf's battery definitely feels stronger in range.
I think the only reason it appears "good" is for these reasons:

1. Cell balancing probably only occurs on 100% charges
2. The BMS uses the highest cell charge level to determine what point to stop charging
3. The BMS uses the lowest cell charge to determine what point to stop discharging

So with more frequent charging to 100%, so the cells stay better balanced. But more time spent at higher SOC levels is never good for a lithium battery and will always result in additional capacity loss. How much is the question...

If you need the range - I certainly wouldn't hesitate to charge to 100% when needed.

drees said:
1. Cell balancing probably only occurs on 100% charges

I used to believe this until I started QCing. After my last QC which took the car to nine bars/79% SOC on my gauge, I used my Blink and charged from five to ten bars in only 96 mins. AND had an SOC % of 81.4! Before the QCs, the usual was 76.8. So based on these experiences, I'm no longer going to charge to 100% for cell balancing. It never worked for me anyway and I was doing it several times a month.

Back