Problem with brakes

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumped

I am having a problem where at very slow speeds the brakes become very grabby. If I am coming to a stop and in the last 10-15 feet need to modulate the brake pressure, the brakes either grab or release. I even noticed the problem at 16 mph today. If I don't need to modulate the stop and can apply even pressure all the way to a complete stop all is fine. This is very disconcerting for me and very uncomfortable for my passengers. Any thoughts. Thanks for the help.

stumped said:
I am having a problem where at very slow speeds the brakes become very grabby. If I am coming to a stop and in the last 10-15 feet need to modulate the brake pressure, the brakes either grab or release. I even noticed the problem at 16 mph today. If I don't need to modulate the stop and can apply even pressure all the way to a complete stop all is fine. This is very disconcerting for me and very uncomfortable for my passengers. Any thoughts. Thanks for the help.
Two thoughts:

1) It sounds like you may not have had the reprogramming fix for grabby brakes applied yet. The dealer can apply this and, while it does not completely eliminate the problem, it does lower the speed at which the brakes grab from about 10 MPH down to about 3 MPH.

2) After your brakes get wet and sit overnight, the discs tend to rust and this makes the brakes grabbier temporarily.

If you haven't had the software change, I also recommend you do that first.
But even after the software change, the 2011 LEAF brakes are still grabby at low speed.
See the lengthy topic http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6086#p138728" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for more discussion.
There was also a suggestion made in this topic http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14785#p333616" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; by goaliepride to try the following:
goaliepride said:
Grabby at high or low speeds? There's a (temporary?) fix if it happens at low, which is: Turn off traction control, inch forward, hold and press down the brakes FULLY for about 30 seconds. That's it. Mine used to be super grabby on/off style at low speeds, but now they're normal.
I haven't tried it yet, so I have no idea whether there is any validity to it. But doesn't seem like it can do any harm. Never know it might work. But it might be a bogus internet myth too. :? :?

I don't know if it's a 2012/2013 thing, but my 2013 had this issue, and the dealer fixed it by replacing the 12V battery.

Same here with my 2013. If I do the traction control fix thing, that will usually fix it for a little while. Kinda annoying to need to do that all the time though. I think I'm going to bring it to the dealer soon, see what they say.

pkulak said:
Same here with my 2013. If I do the traction control fix thing, that will usually fix it for a little while. Kinda annoying to need to do that all the time though. I think I'm going to bring it to the dealer soon, see what they say.

If you could PM me after and let me know how that goes I'd much appreciate it. I have the same on my September '13 Leaf

Staque said:
I don't know if it's a 2012/2013 thing, but my 2013 had this issue, and the dealer fixed it by replacing the 12V battery.
I'm having major 12V issues, and weird brake behavior now, including grabby brakes, do you know if they did more than just replacing the 12V battery? Would love to know for sure before I bring it in.

goaliepride said:
pkulak said:

If you could PM me after and let me know how that goes I'd much appreciate it. I have the same on my September '13 Leaf

I'm also experiencing this on my '13. The quick fix only helps for maybe the rest of that trip. Once the car is off and on again it's back to "normal."

My '13 does it too. I tried the quick fix, and it seems to have helped some, but it still does it. I just chalk it up to some further engineering refinements that Nissan needs to make for the next generation LEAF.

Back