Nissan Disabling "Unoffical" apps to protect "privacy"

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travisf

This ticks me off. Just got the July owners newsletter and have to vent.

CARWINGS App Update: Protecting Your Privacy

August 2012 Newsletter
It's fun and easy to stay connected to your Nissan LEAF® vehicle using our innovative CARWINGS™ system on your smartphone. As a result, several smartphone app developers were inspired to create custom apps for controlling the system in a LEAF.

While we applaud the enthusiasm and ingenuity of these developers, we have to put the privacy and security of our owners first. This is why—effective immediately—we have decided to shut off access to in-vehicle controls from these unofficial applications. As an alternative, we encourage you to download the official Nissan LEAF app for your iPhone, Android or BlackBerry smartphone at the links below:

| iPhone | Android | BlackBerry |

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. We want to assure all Nissan owners that the protection of your personal information and your in-vehicle system is a responsibility that we take very seriously.

Come ON?!?!?!?!

I use LeafLink and Greencharge on my iphone because the official app pretty much stinks.
If I'm reading the above correctly, they are cutting off their access so we're stuck using their inferior "official" app?
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Please tell me I'm wrong or there is a workaround?

travisf said:
This ticks me off. Just got the July owners newsletter and have to vent.

CARWINGS App Update: Protecting Your Privacy

August 2012 Newsletter
It's fun and easy to stay connected to your Nissan LEAF® vehicle using our innovative CARWINGS™ system on your smartphone. As a result, several smartphone app developers were inspired to create custom apps for controlling the system in a LEAF.

While we applaud the enthusiasm and ingenuity of these developers, we have to put the privacy and security of our owners first. This is why—effective immediately—we have decided to shut off access to in-vehicle controls from these unofficial applications. As an alternative, we encourage you to download the official Nissan LEAF app for your iPhone, Android or BlackBerry smartphone at the links below:

| iPhone | Android | BlackBerry |

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. We want to assure all Nissan owners that the protection of your personal information and your in-vehicle system is a responsibility that we take very seriously.

Come ON?!?!?!?!

I use LeafLink and Greencharge on my iphone because the official app pretty much stinks.
If I'm reading the above correctly, they are cutting off their access so we're stuck using their inferior "official" app?
:evil: :evil: :evil:

Please tell me I'm wrong or there is a workaround?
I just received the notice myself. It appears that's what they're doing. Any news from the LEAFlink designer/developer would be very much appreciated.
*Edit: I just tested it and it still updates on my iPhone 5, so far...

Back