Leaf really needs HD Radio tuner

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j2nissan

We got our Leaf week ago and the first impression is that it is really quiet inside. Then you turn on the radio... While XM radio sounds good and many people like it, it is not a free option and not needed for those who want to listen local stations. Regular FM radio reception is good, but due to the quiet cabin, you can hear the radio noise and you wish that it sounds better.
Of course, HD radio is available in many places now.
It seems that it will not be easy to add HD radio tuner to the current Leaf sound system, so Nissan should either include the HD radio tuner or allow upgrade with the reasonable price. I am quite sure that it is technically possible as auto manufacturers install custom versions of Pioneer, JVC, Alpine or other brands that do have HD tuners available already for their aftermarket products.

If you know of any HD radio option upgrade, please let me know!
Thanks.

Yeah, I would have liked to have HD radio too, and would have paid a tad more to get it, though in my opinion it should have been included standard since it costs very little at the factory level.

Unfortunately, I don't think it is economically viable to add it after the fact on a Leaf...

I'm surprised why this isn't standard on cars yet. I'm sure XM has something to do with it. Maybe they're paying off car manufacturers to not make it standard.

Actually, it IS standard on a number of cars these days such as BMW, Acura, and a number of Ford and GM cars. There may be others that I am not aware of...

cdub said:
I'm surprised why this isn't standard on cars yet. I'm sure XM has something to do with it. Maybe they're paying off car manufacturers to not make it standard.

evnow said:
I'd have preferred HD radio to XM.
I'm actually annoyed with the concept of the XM button. It seems about as logical as Sony having a stamped plastic CNN button boldly - and permanently - situated on the front of every TV they sell. Call me old fashioned...

Glenn

Glenn said:
evnow said:
I'm actually annoyed with the concept of the XM button. It seems about as logical as Sony having a stamped plastic CNN button boldly - and permanently - situated on the front of every TV they sell. Call me old fashioned...

Glenn
Yes - I'd have preferred USB and BT to be on separate buttons, for eg.

evnow said:
Glenn said:
evnow said:

Glenn
Yes - I'd have preferred USB and BT to be on separate buttons, for eg.

HD radio should be on board.

Very annoyed by XM (at least in concept as I don't have the car yet) as well. In home, do not have cable, and use crisp HD over the air. I have not had cable TV for years, and saved, well, more than the cost of this car--and more if investment appreciation is taken into account.

I am sure XM has some sort of contractual agreement with car manufacturers to make sure their radios are installed.

HD and XM/Sirius are going head to head, and sadly, HD is losing badly. I know some station owners who are about ready to pull the hardware and reuse the spectrum for more profitable auxiliary data services instead. Wonder if they will actually do it.

At least the car has XM, and not Sirius. Sirius has some incredibly low bit rates for even their "high quality channels". It reminds me of internet radio from 1994.

rainnw said:
Sirius has some incredibly low bit rates for even their "high quality channels". It reminds me of internet radio from 1994.
And an inferior CODEC which everyone else, including XM and HD radio, have abandoned.

Unfortunately, HD Radio has themselves to blame for some of it. HD on AM has been a disaster and a technical flop; there are many, many issues and problems with it and in many instances it is not even authorized at night, when you often need it most, due to interference issues. On FM it works quite well except that, up until recently when the FCC authorized up to a ten time power increase, the signal level has often been so low that good coverage was spotty.

If the FCC wants HD to seriously succeed, it needs to mandate its inclusion in receivers such as it did for FM and UHF TV...

rainnw said:
HD and XM/Sirius are going head to head, and sadly, HD is losing badly. I know some station owners who are about ready to pull the hardware and reuse the spectrum for more profitable auxiliary data services instead. Wonder if they will actually do it.

mogur said:
Yeah, I would have liked to have HD radio too, and would have paid a tad more to get it, though in my opinion it should have been included standard since it costs very little at the factory level.

+1. I agree completely. Hopefully Nissan is listening for the 2012 model year and beyond...

Back