installed new winter tires - epedal working "weird"/not re-gen?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning All,
I'll second LeftiBiker's question about winter tire details. Are they the exact same size specs? If they were a slightly different diameter I would thing the E-Pedal system could not behave correctly. My 2019 E-pedal is beautiful with the stock Energy Savers running @41 psi. I have had it in some serious snow and icy roads here in Vermont and I actually like the e-pedal's brake response better than the 2016 leaf I had last. It is always gentle braking mixed with regen until the motor rotations wouldn't be effective for braking.

One slippery morning i tested it , let off the pedal completely at about 20 mph on a slight down hill on an untreated road. my 2016 would have had the ABS buzzing slowing at the rate the 2019 was. It was very calm and controlled. It's nice for defending an icy hill to as you have instant control rather than having to jump to the brake. Obviously depending an icy hill means you are going slow to begin with.
My 2016 used to jump out of regen often when it hit a bump. This is the regen you would get while lightly pressing the brake. The car would feel like it was free wheeling but all you needed to do was add more brake pressure to compensate for the loss of regen due to the sensors shutting it off because of the bump. This has been talked about in other threads.
Was it a smooth road when the regen quit? The 2019 doesn't seem to do the kill the regen thing like the 2016 did. I haven't really tested it yet though. We have some pretty rough roads around here right now and the 2019 seems to handle them fine. Other that the ride in general. Its better then the 2016 though.
I doubt Nissan has changed their system too much through the years just refined it.
I can't speak for the 2018 but the 2019 has really improved the braking response.

Regarding the tire pressure comments. I notice a substation increase in range with a higher pressure. I ran 41 psi on my 2016. 3 year lease. 35700 miles and great tire wear. Didn't notice any loss of snow traction. I ran Michelin X ice in the winter.
The car has an automatic inflation notification feature if you inflate your tires while the car is in ready mode.
1 horn beep and a flash of the hazers at 36 but if you keep going you will get a double horn and flash at 41psi (3bar) to be exact. That's pretty hand and it seems Nissan expects people to go higher than 36. Hard to say why there is the secondary notification. It could be a don't exceed warning or a second option. Thats what I use as my set point. Quite handy with the supplied air compressor.

Greg

My 2018 with factory 17” wheels tires will have the regen cut out on bumpy sweeping descents. In Japan, the braking zones in higher risk corners are perversely zebra striped with a high grip colored surface. While fine a straight line, in a curve, the regen will cut out.

For the winter tires, I swapped to a 16” aluminum alloy with tire sized to the same spec as factory.

205/55R16 16” 6.5J +40
215/50R17 17” 6.5J +45

I’ve always felt winter tires are squishier and in the dry has a lot less grip. And like previous Nissan factory alloys, the stock ones are much heavier compared to the after market. Not enough testing to figure what’s going on, whether it’s just the squishy tires; size difference; lighter weight; or a combination.

I was thinking about going to light weight 17” Enkei with grippy tires... but now worried that regen would freak out because of lighter weight and softer tires. Sure is different from ICE cars where lighter and grippier is better.

Back