Has anyone tried the new Goodyear ElectricDrive tires?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnGalt69

I need new tires for my Leaf, has anyone tried the new electric car specific Goodyears?

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/electricdrive

It literally has no reviews, so who would be the first brave one to try them? For the price they are charging, they better be even better than the Ecopia and last up to the 60K warranty and not half-way. :?

JohnGalt69 said:
I just took the plunge, I'll let you all know how it works out.

Full set? You are a brave person, but if they work as good as they claim, I would probably get a set for myself. A lot is "riding" on your experience that you share with us. :D

After doing a little research, these tires are suppose to be built from the ground up for EV, more specially, just more heavy duty material to help with wear from the increased weight and noise reduction for the silent ride of the EV. I'm about to change out 2 of my Leaf tires in the rear because I've already worn them down bald. Since the Ecopia tires have been discontinued, I was going to try some other "similar" brand or types of tires, but really none of them are EV specific. I'm willing to give Goodyear at least 2 tires to try and see how they perform compared to the Ecopias I have on the front that are still holding ok. So, count me in as participating in this experiment. I also found out that Tesla is going to start using these tires too, so maybe there is something to them or just marketing? Life is too short to worry. :mrgreen:

I just checked out the link and it appears that Goodyear does not make the size required for the 16" wheels on a S trim (205/55 R16). Oh well, good thing I'm set for tires for quite a while.

goldbrick said:
I just checked out the link and it appears that Goodyear does not make the size required for the 16" wheels on a S trim (205/55 R16). Oh well, good thing I'm set for tires for quite a while.
It's not just the S trim: it's all the trims for Gen1. Doesn't make sense to eliminate all Gen1's as a target market unless I'm reading it wrong.
Oh well: they would have to be great (and last the full warranty like @knightmb said) at that price.

Stanton said:
It's not just the S trim: it's all the trims for Gen1. Doesn't make sense to eliminate all Gen1's as a target market unless I'm reading it wrong.
Oh well: they would have to be great (and last the full warranty like @knightmb said) at that price.
Wear has always been the issue with any tire I've used over the last decade on a Leaf. The Ecopia work fine as Eco Tires, but they never last the 70K miles that the warranty claims and that part is really frustrating because even when the tire shop honors the warranty and gives you a replacement, you still have to pay for the labor and then the time it takes out of your day to wait at the tire shop while they do the swap.

These Electric Drive tires have less "warranty" at 60K, but if they actually last close to that, it would be worth it warranty wise.

Stanton said:
goldbrick said:

The only size they make that would fit the Leaf is the 215/50R17 , which will only work on a Gen 1 Leaf if it was the SL version or just happen to have the 17" wheels (which a lot of them could be configured that way as I have friends and family with a Gen 1 SV on 17" wheels)

Good point, but before anyone buys a whole wheel for them, if they can wait.. Let us take the "early adopters" hit on using them for a while to see if they stack up. By far, it will be the most expensive tire I've ever bought for a Leaf. I've tried to go the cheap route in the past with trying generic, all-season, no frills tires for cheap but the Leaf just eats them alive. :lol: :lol: I'm talking about bald after 10K miles :twisted:

How many miles in those 1.3 years?

10,779 miles in 14 months.

Current center tread depth:

Front: 6.1mm
Rear: 7.7mm

The Goodyear site says they started with 11/32" of tread, or about 8.7mm.

Assuming I now rotate the tires now and that I replace when the tread gets down to about 3mm, then these tires are good for about 30k miles total (maybe 40k or more with an optimally timed additional tire rotation).

Here is my quick and dirty calculation:

Screenshot 2024-01-22 at 2.27.16 PM.png

You would benefit from more frequent rotations, at least in terms of keeping more even wear (and presumably, traction) between the front and rear. I think 5000 miles is often recommended. Using your rate of wear, if you would have rotated twice so far:

0 miles - Front = 8.7 mm; Rear = 8.7 mm
5K miles - Front = 7.50 mm; Rear = 8.25 mm; ROTATE
10K miles - Front = 7.05 mm; Rear = 7.05 mm; ROTATE
15K miles - Front = 5.85 mm; Rear = 6.60 mm; ROTATE
20K miles - Front = 5.40 mm; Rear = 5.40 mm; ROTATE
25K miles - Front = 4.20 mm; Rear = 4.95 mm; ROTATE
30K miles - Front = 3.75 mm; Rear = 3.75 mm; ROTATE

An added benefit is that when there is a difference in the tread depth, you have more in the rear, which is where you want it to minimize oversteer.

Last edited:
Sure wish I'd upgraded to the Goodyears sooner. The Ecopias were junk, and I bought a lot of them! Not resistant to punctures, and the tread wears out quickly.

Finally, around 55,000 miles I got disgusted and switched. Here is what I found:

The goodyears are every bit as efficient, giving me the same 4.1 miles per kWh as the Ecopias. Wish I'd known that. And the warranty on the Goodyears is so long, they will probably outlast the car.

If you've suffered a few flats, like I have, ditch those Ecopias.

Back