Extension cable gauge - 300V 12 AWG 3/C is this ok for L2 ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxp

Hi,

I have a 12 ft length of 300V 12 AWG 3/C cable which I would like to build an extension cord for my portable Nissan EVSE. I will be attaching suitable NEMA plug/sockets at each end.

Will this cable support a modified portable 2011 Nissan EVSE to charge at L2 (http://www.evseupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)?

Thanks in advance.

If you use NEMA L6-20 connectors, good for 240 volts, 20 Amps.
But, you just might find that a ready made L6-20 extension cord will be cheaper than the connectors alone.

Attaching connectors is the tricky part. You can easily add a weak or higher resistance spot. The general consensus is that you need to crimp the connections with a large, expensive tool for them to be properly er, connective as well as strong.

ebill3 said:
But, you just might find that a ready made L6-20 extension cord will be cheaper than the connectors alone.

Thanks for everyone who responded back. Just some further questions:

Will my extension cable be able to support 40A (at 12 feet length) ?
I guess it's a good idea to know the "limitations" of the max Amperage. The other data says "-40C to 90C FT2 water resistant, CSA SJ00W"

Hi Leftiebiker, I was planning to try and drop some electrical contact liquid to hopefully prevent any bad connection issues. Not sure if this would suffice.

Thanks again!

mxp said:
ebill3 said:

I guess it's a good idea to know the "limitations" of the max Amperage. The other data says "-40C to 90C FT2 water resistant, CSA SJ00W"

Hi Leftiebiker, I was planning to try and drop some electrical contact liquid to hopefully prevent any bad connection issues. Not sure if this would suffice.

Thanks again!

If you have a 2011 LEAF your draw is 16A and a proper 12G cord will work, you can buy one with molded ends as well. It will not support 40A, the cable and the cord are not rated for that nor is it needed for a 2011 LEAF. If it is for something else then you need the proper cord for that device.

EVDRIVER said:
mxp said:
ebill3 said:

Thanks again!

If you have a 2011 LEAF your draw is 16A and a proper 12G cord will work, you can buy one with molded ends as well. It will not support 40A, the cable and the cord are not rated for that nor is it needed for a 2011 LEAF. If it is for something else then you need the proper cord for that device.

Thanks for the clarification evdriver.

@Leftiebiker: My apologies- what I meant was just simple Dielectric grease.

Back