EV Cabs Come To NYC

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NYLEAF said:
The taxis have two Quick Chargers to use, one of which is located in a (very expensive, although possibly free for the taxis?) parking garage near Times Square, the other located in the maintenance driveway of a Co-Op on the Lower East Side.
it sounds as if neither of those chargers are easily accessed, especially the one at the co-op. to make the program work for the huge amount of taxis in NYC you'd need dozens if not hundreds of QCs placed around the city. in NYC cabs are usually driven almost around the clock, a cab sitting for hours charging is not on the streets making money.
this is what happens when you have inexperienced bureaucratic bean counters dreaming up plans. if they would have included an actual driver in the planning stages this experiment would have taken a very different shape

The LEAF could work for airport runs if they set up stations with several CHAdeMO plugs at JFK and at LaGuardia.

The catch is that they would have to let LEAF drivers cut the line to make up for the time recharging.

The one at the Co-op is actually easier to access than the one in the garage. I don't like having to deal with the employees at parking garages in NYC. The one at the co-op is right off the street, so you can just pull up and use it (as long as you have the RFID card for it). If this works...https://www.google.com/maps/@40.714...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s6r1lH3svIwB_WwaxaLp0XQ!2e0

The original plan, from what I understand, was to have a QC at JFK Airport as well, but the parking lot where they wanted to put it didn't have 3 phase power available (or something like that). I feel like LGA is probably close enough to Manhattan to not really need one, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think they could just make a few tweaks and this program would be a success.

NYLEAF said:
The original plan, from what I understand, was to have a QC at JFK Airport as well, but the parking lot where they wanted to put it didn't have 3 phase power available (or something like that). I feel like LGA is probably close enough to Manhattan to not really need one, but maybe I'm wrong.

LGA is close enough that you don't need a QC for one or two round-trips, but you will need to recharge during a 12-hour shift. Airports are perfect if you can offset time lost charging by allowing EVs to cut the long cab line.

Too bad for JFK. Tesla was able to get Superchargers there, but I guess this is an instance of private being more efficient than public.

Back