Considering a 2nd gen Leaf (2018 SV)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodelb

I am considering a CPO 2018 SV Leaf. I started a new job and my daily commute is 80-100 miles round trip. The range on full charge is showing ~145 miles.

Will I be OK with this and charging every night or should I look at getting a Plus model with the extended range?

Where are you located? If you have real Winters there, then the range with heat on in sub-freezing weather is more like 90-100 miles, which is too close for comfort.

^^ Yep

Moreover,
OP is relying on the GOM. I expect his actual range to plummet at highway speeds

Figure:
15 - 20% battery degradation over 5 years
At least 5 kWh reserve
3 miles per kWh, perhaps less in winter

So 35 kWh for miles
35+5 = 40 kWh with reserve
40/0.8 = 50 kWh with planned battery degradation
And of course there will be days with headwinds only one way, bad roads from inclement weather ...

This is easily Model + territory unless daily charging at work is available.

By the way, OP

This is an expensive time to car shop. I expect late 2021, early 2022 to be back to normal.

The exception would be if you have a good, late model car to trade in. That would cancel out the high price for a new Leaf, because trade in values are through the roof. Just don't - and this is a rule for all times - mention the trade until AFTER you have a deal agreed to on the Leaf.

SageBrush said:
^^ Yep

Moreover,
OP is relying on the GOM. I expect his actual range to plummet at highway speeds

Figure:
15 - 20% battery degradation over 5 years
At least 5 kWh reserve
3 miles per kWh, perhaps less in winter

So 35 kWh for miles
35+5 = 40 kWh with reserve
40/0.8 = 50 kWh with planned battery degradation
And of course there will be days with headwinds only one way, bad roads from inclement weather ...

This is easily Model + territory unless daily charging at work is available.

I think we should qualify if this particular SV has the heat pump.

My 2018 SL w/heat pump is achieving 3.9-4.1 in winter(26-31F overnight temps) and doing 59-65mph freeeway speeds but about 1/3 of my mileage is freeway, the rest is rural & city streets.

I do agree that the plus model would be better for the commute unless there's a charging option while at work.

Back