car shuts down under load. won't restart. anyway to reboot in the field?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerys

I have cell issues. just have to wait till its enough to trigger in nissan's computer. its a bad battery.

Anyway 2016 30kw 10 bars but can only go 47 miles (max not 48 or 49) really sucks makes it hard to use going to abq at all

anyway I am stressing the battery now and then to try and accelerate things. I will goose the throttle a little and watch the % go from 45% to 31%

had it turtle a few times eventually cells recover and it comes alive again.

Tonight however. no dice. 3 miles from home. dead car. you can hear it try and connect the HV pack and then disconnect again instantly. it won't do it. broke my damned reader got to order another one to get the codes anyway that's not the issue.

The issue is I was dead and had to get a tow. 30 minutes after plugging into the charger (110v no less as it was too far down the drive for the 240v) and the car started up normally and I was able to engage the drive.

Is there anything I can do to cause this reset in the field? once it recovers its fine as long as I don't push it hard. I just don't want to be stuck again. Grrrr even thinking of putty the genny on the cargo tray again so I can just start the genny and charge it for 10 minutes to reset if it does it again. but that's annoying and quite heavy.

Any other suggestions? I wonder if I can make a small battery with inverter to "charge" the car. only needs to charge for a few minutes to reset it. the voltage slump is the problem sadly even with the trickle charger that is still 1.3kw demand power. Ouch.

Is there a way to reboot it? I did not have tools on me to try and disconnect the 12v battery. would that have worked?

It sounds like the BMS is preventing a start until the cell(s) that have sagged below the programmed threshold recover enough voltage to go above that threshold again. So I doubt that a 12 volt reset would work. Your idea for a portable L-1 charge unit should work, as should a small generator/L-1 unit. I can think of things like a super capacitor L-1 "jump starter" but given that this is temporary, I'd go with whatever is easiest and cheapest for you. Good luck.

Back