Can't Turn Off Leaf and I-Key System Fault after DRL Relay

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hder

I imported a US 2013 Model S Leaf into Canada recently (almost 2 weeks) and have been enjoying it. One of the procedures requires the installation of Daylight Running Lights. First time this was done, it seemed OK until I plugged in the charger, then the headlights would stay on. All other functions seemed OK. Went back to the service station that did this and they found a different sense line, not sure which one. But shortly after, I noticed odd things happening and since I am a new owner, maybe you can tell me what I should expect as normal operation.

1. Leaf is parked, with parking brake on. Press the foot break, turn on, OK. Turn off, OK.

2. Turn the light switch on left to MIDDLE position, get warning message "WHEN PARKED, APPLY PARKING BRAKE". Parking brake is on. Turn light switch back to OFF position and message is stuck there. Step on the foot brake, get another message, "I-KEY SYSTEM FAULT", along with the parking brake message. Cannot put into DRIVE, or REVERSE. Cannot turn off the car, all dash lights on, with same messages. Can only turn off if foot brake off, and light switch in OFF position.

3. After playing around with this, it seems the I-KEY SYSTEM FAULT message stays on and does not go away, except after I have it off for a while and turn it back on. Can get rid of this message if I hit the square menu button, but it comes back on when I turn the car on again.

QUESTIONS:

1. Do you think it is something the DRL relay installation did, using a wrong sense line that is messing up the system?
2. Do you think it has nothing to do with the DLR, and is another problem? If so, what?
3. Normally, I should be able to just turn the car off regardless of the position of the light switch or the foot brake, right? Can someone confirm this, so I know this is the normal operation?

Thanks very much. Will be going back to the service station tomorrow, so would appreciate some insight. Unfortunately, did not go to a Nissan Dealer to get the DLR done in the first place, but this place said they have done many successfully...!

I suspect the DRL relay, etc. is back feeding 12 volts to some of the LEAF's modules and causing the behavior you are seeing. You should be able to turn car off by pressing the power button whether or not foot is on brake pedal and regardless of headlight switch position. I don't have the service manual for 2013 so cannot look at the exact schematics and wiring diagrams for your car.

Gerry

Were you required by law to install whatever you did to keep the lights on whenever the car is on? If so and you passed that inspection could you simply have the dealer remove whatever they did and go back to normal operation? Of course you'd have to remember to turn the lights on manually every time you drove and maybe you'd just as soon not do that, but it might be an option?? I guess that is unless you have to have your car inspected yearly and that is something they check for, I don't know Canadian laws. Of course getting it fixed the way you want is the best option but just suggesting another option if they can't get it figured out.

On my car, and I would assume other USA Leafs, there is a four position fuse box behind the battery near the brake cylinder. One of those is an unused spot for DRL's. I used an add-a-circuit fuse tap in the empty spot to get power for my LED add-on DRL's. Maybe that would work for what is needed.

Back