Boy are WE are in for TROUBLE when our Warranty runs Out!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Valdemar said:
Also, here, it says that the electric motor is not covered in AZ.

Excerpt from Valdemar's provided link

Arizona: THERE IS NO COVERAGE UNDER THIS VSC FOR LOSS OR BREAKDOWN OF AN ELECTRIC MOTOR, BATTERY
PACK, AND GENERATOR.

Does anyone know why the Motor, Battery, and Generator are not covered in AZ (is it due to the heat or some other reason?)

If it is due to the heat, doesn't this imply that Nissan has concerns about the effects of heat on the Nissan Leaf's reliability / longevity?

Does anyone know what the Generator refers to ?

myleaf said:

Arizona: THERE IS NO COVERAGE UNDER THIS VSC FOR LOSS OR BREAKDOWN OF AN ELECTRIC MOTOR, BATTERY
PACK, AND GENERATOR.

Does anyone know why the Motor, Battery, and Generator are not covered in AZ (is it due to the heat or some other reason?)

If it is due to the heat, doesn't this imply that Nissan has concerns about the effects of heat on the Nissan Leaf's reliability / longevity?
That's what it implies to me. It seems Nissan does not want to sign up for more than 5-years/50,000 miles in AZ. But I will note that the battery pack is not covered under the VSC in ANY state, so that is not a change. I also do not expect the motor to fail within 8 years or 100,000 miles, even in AZ.
myleaf said:
Does anyone know what the Generator refers to ?
I was wondering the same thing.

Given all that, since the battery is not covered and it could be argued that there is no "Generator" in the LEAF, really, that clause only limits the coverage on "an electric motor". I wonder if it applies to ALL electric motors in the LEAF. In that case, it removes wipers, pumps (including cooling pumps, braking pumps and compressor pumps for A/C), steering motors and fans as well as the traction motor. Any other electric motors in our LEAFs?

RegGuheert said:
myleaf said:

PACK, AND GENERATOR.

RegGuheert said:
I wonder if it applies to ALL electric motors in the LEAF. In that case, it removes wipers, pumps (including cooling pumps, braking pumps and compressor pumps for A/C), steering motors and fans as well as the traction motor. Any other electric motors in our LEAFs?

I hope not. That would suck.

myleaf said:
RegGuheert said:
myleaf said:

PACK, AND GENERATOR.

RegGuheert said:
I wonder if it applies to ALL electric motors in the LEAF. In that case, it removes wipers, pumps (including cooling pumps, braking pumps and compressor pumps for A/C), steering motors and fans as well as the traction motor. Any other electric motors in our LEAFs?

I hope not. That would suck.

I live in AZ and purchased a VSC a few weeks after the delivery of my vehicle

My service agreement has a RC1210CAGP 6/6/2011 document number.

In Section 10 ARE THERE ANY OPTIONS/EXCLUSIONS TO MY SERVICE AGREEMENT ?

only a CA state requirement is listed:

"The following state requirements will apply to vehicle service contracts sold in California:

NESNA is the sole obligor under this service contract and is solely responsible for payment of the reimbursement for all covered claims. If any promise is made in the contract has been denied or has not been honored within 60 days after your request, you may contact the California Department of Insurance at 1-800-927-4357. "

It seems that the VSC has been updated with the various restrictions applied.

Valdemar said:
The document I referenced is not LEAF specific, so I wonder if they actually refer to the traction motor there.

The document you posted seems to be inclusive of the LEAF. If you look at section 8 it refers to the standard LEAF battery warranty.

myleaf said:
Valdemar said:
The document I referenced is not LEAF specific, so I wonder if they actually refer to the traction motor there.

The document you posted seems to be inclusive of the LEAF. If you look at section 8 it refers to the standard LEAF battery warranty.

That is correct, but the AZ specific exclusion section does not mention the LEAF specifically, although wording "battery pack" makes it look like it is.

Valdemar said:
myleaf said:
Valdemar said:

That is correct, but the AZ specific exclusion section does not mention the LEAF specifically, although wording "battery pack" makes it look like it is.

Sounds like there might be multiple versions of this contract but ignoring this I wonder if that is a standard exclusion for AZ for all Nissan cars as batteries, motors, and generators (alternators?) probably don't like the heat in AZ?

RegGuheert said:
Thanks, Phil! Since you said "the one in the LEAF" I'll assume you are talking about the capacitor module in the inverter only. But the OBC is a single-phase design. Does it manage to process 3.3kW at a very high power factor without any electrolytics? How about the new 6.0 kW design? Finally, what about the DC/DC converter? I would be pleasantly surprised to hear that they are ALL electrolytic-free. Thanks again.
No, these all contain Electrolytics. However, I bet you they'll last 15+ years.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
No, these all contain Electrolytics. However, I bet you they'll last 15+ years.
O.K. Thanks!

IIRC, the OBC in the 2011 is built by Nichicon, who happens to make the best electrolytics in the industry. Assuming they are applied conservatively, their application guide says they can last for up to 15 years, as you say.

We will have to see how the DC/DC converter holds up.

Thanks again!

mwalsh said:
teichholtz said:
To the person talking about extended warranties. If the warranty is purchased from the dealer and is a manufacturer warranty it will be a better value than the the third parties who sell the worthless ones.

The same dealer/manufacturer warranties are available on the Internet at significant savings over the dealer price.

I've been told that. When we purchased my wife's Civic Hybrid in 2007 we bought an 8 year / 120,000 warranty for $850 from the dealer. It will run out in about a week,the car has 119,600 on it. Only repair to the car has been front brake pads which I did myself.

Valdemar said:
I don't think so, since it is very similar to the official one I received for our LEAF (Which is what I quoted earlier.
myleaf said:
My service agreement has a RC1210CAGP 6/6/2011 document number.

In Section 10 ARE THERE ANY OPTIONS/EXCLUSIONS TO MY SERVICE AGREEMENT ?

only a CA state requirement is listed:
FWIW, our service agreement is dated 26 March 2012 and it contains exclusions for many states, but CA and AZ are not in the list.

th

221962d1268862476-valve-cover-windows-clear-gearz.jpg

29422529-729-Clear-Valve-Covers-for-Small-Block-Chevy.jpg

i would LOVE a transparent covers

Back