Beware of mistakes in special "EV rate" billing

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgeParrott

Fellow EVers,

I finally got around to checking closely my electric utility billing for the months SINCE we got our Leaf. In October of 2010 I had our rate structure changed from the previous "standard TOU solar" rate, termed E6 by Pacific Gas and Electric our grid provider, to their E9 rate which provides a special discounted rate from midnight to 7 am for owners of electric cars.

I got a confirmation that the rate change was implemented by PG&E and they even put a special sticker on our digital meter back in October when the change took place.

In January we got our Chevy Volt and in February our Leaf finally arrived here. We charge both cars with timer set charging from midnight to 7 am, and I had projected that our large solar photovoltaic array would have enough TOU adjusted credit from peak time generation to fully cover the actual charging of both cars (and still cover all our house use as well), but the billing totals kept accumulating with our cumulative billing from "wonderful" PG&E, so I called and consulted with their billing department today about what was happening.

Duh....PG&E is my candidate for the most incompetent and self-serving company in the country (as attested to by the number of people they have killed with poor gas line maintenance here in California). They had all the records of changing the rate structure for our home, BUT they had actually not made those changes in their billing !!!!

As near as I can now project their current totals for our house are about $150 at least TOO HIGH. They will now "recalculate the whole billing year" for us and make the adjustment, however the message is clear: BE SURE if you switch to a special "EV electric rate for your home" that you are actually billed at that rate !!!!

Back