30A Barbouri OpenEVSE with current display is sold

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
droolingpiston said:
Very cool that you have the clock and dual voltage in and working !

Can this unit show the car's state of charge?

Does this unit have the ability to show or record the total kWh transferred this charging session?

Have you looked into adding a wi-fi board to the charger assembly? So a guy can check on things from his home computer with out going back out to the garage.

From the number of posts you have I assume you are new. You are assigning much too much intelligence to an EVSE.

Basically an EVSE is a safe way to connect power to the car's built in charger through a very expensive cable. It has no digital capability. All it can signal the car is the available current it can supply. It does that by modifying the duty cycle of the 1Khz pilot square wave.

https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/J1772Basics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[/quote]From the number of posts you have I assume you are new. You are assigning much too much intelligence to an EVSE.

Basically an EVSE is a safe way to connect power to the car's built in charger through a very expensive cable. It has no digital capability. All it can signal the car is the available current it can supply. It does that by modifying the duty cycle of the 1Khz pilot square wave.

https://code.google.com/p/open-evse/wiki/J1772Basics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/quote]

You are right about me being new to the world and even the idea of electric cars. I just got my first leaf about 6 weeks ago. I got it almost on an impulse purchase. I saw a TV commercial saying I could lease a new 2015 leaf for $200 per month and that is about what i have been spending on diesel to use my 3/4 ton truck as a daily driver, even though most of the time I don't need to haul anything. At that time I didn't even know what a leaf looked like.
I went to the dealer thinking as long as it is bigger-roomier than a mini cooper or smart car, not as ugly as a prius, and it has to be pretty peppy on acceleration. There is the sum total of my prerequisites.
It was, so I got it. That was the total extent of my electric car research.
I've been getting by with the 110v trickle charger on most days but there have been times I had to take my truck because the car wasn't charged up enough yet. So I'm looking at all the different options of level 2 chargers.

I am on my second Leaf and I am not planning to go back to ICE. On my first one it was very early in the delivery cycle. I went to the dealer to look only. They had a pre-ordered red one that the buyer changed his mind. Since I wanted red first choice and white second choice I left with the car at full list price.

I was so happy with the car that when leather came out I swapped cars. As an early buyer my lease payment was quite high so I was able to even swap into a new lease.

With a 19.5 mile one way commute it worked for me. Now that I am retired I only charge a couple of times a week. I COULD LIVE WITH L1 but it is so painful!

The best deal for the money is for you to have Ingineer convert your existing EVSE to dual voltage.

If you are into building you can build an OpenEVSE or JuiceBox Basic 30A evse for well under $400.

A commercial 30A EVSE is in the $600 area. Clipper Creek and Leviton are well regarded.

If the time allows you can do with less than the max. The J1772 protocol says the car charger must respect the current offered. For example I started with a 16A
Leviton EVSE. If I still had it I would charge at 16A even though my Leaf could charge at 27.5A.

Back