2018 SL, TCU connection problems

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
baustin said:
Baltneu said:
baustin said:
Next step would be to work with EV Support to resolve the issue preventing you from logging into the Nissan Owner Portal.

Thanks
Spoke to EV support, they tried everything on their side.
They think it is a bad TCU board and needs to be swopped out.
I am not going to go to the dealer just for this. I am going to enjoy the car and when it goes in for service will address this.

Understood. It very well could be a defective TCU. However, the Owner Portal access is a separate issue not tied to the TCU. Gaining Owner Portal access will help with troubleshooting whether or not there is access to the car through the Nissan Servers.

All functions seem to work in the car.
EV Tech support told me they can communicate with car, but the car does not communicate back.

As an update. I talked to a pretty knowledge rep, when she tested the TCU board it did not register as 3G, she told me it came up as 2K. I am not sure what the latter means. So it is possible I have an older board in the car. Hard to believe given it is a 2018 model year.
I will hear back in 3-5 days, probably they will tell dealer to order a new TCU board.

"2k" is gibberish. The older units are 2G, meaning 2 gigahertz, and the newer ones are 3G, or 3 gigahertz. In a few years the nightmare will claim the 3G units as well, as 3G networks close down.

Leftie
I just find it very weird that I seem to have an older board in a 2018 vehicle, if the tech is correct.
They escalated the problem to a higher level and told me it would take 3-5 days to get back to me.
The reason I called and started this again is because I asked the dealer to order a new TCU board for me, per tech support instructions.
The service people told me the part has to be ordered, 3-5 business days to receive. I just did not want to take the car in cold and them to tell me to come back another time. I want to go in, and have it done the day I come in. Nor would they order the part in advance unless the tech people asked them to do so.

I also previously posted when the service tech rebooted the existing board a few weeks ago, I lost one of the screens that I had seen myself and is described in the manual. The screen is the diagram of the 4 tires with the tire pressures of each tire. That is now gone. I have to believe the TPMS works, otherwise I would have a light on the display.

LeftieBiker said:
"2k" is gibberish. The older units are 2G, meaning 2 gigahertz, and the newer ones are 3G, or 3 gigahertz. In a few years the nightmare will claim the 3G units as well, as 3G networks close down.

2G means second generation, 3G means third generation.

Frequencies used for are a list for both, varies by both country and with countries, and when 2G was phased out the frequencies were reused for newer services.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies_in_the_US

I'm new here but when I got my SV leaf I had issues registering to the site as well.
It took few days I guess for the dealer or nissan to push the vin to their data base of sold/leased cars.
I enabled nissan connect on the head unit of the car but still couldn't connect with the app or should I say the 3 apps that are in the android play store.
Nissan connect app still shows my car as not registered but there was a link in it that directed me to the https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/
I think it was the info icon (i).

From there I logged on and noticed the Nissan Connect Services. And it took me maybe few days to notice that and check all the boxes to agree on nissan spying on me and my car:)

Anyway the nissan app is slow for sure and it seems to be just a container for their web page portal, which explains why it's so slow.
My leaf app is 3rd party and not as feature rich but it's faster.

Hope that helps.

P.S. One month in I have my power mirror switch not working. Seems that the wires are crossed sine on of the axis on the left mirror adjust the right one!
Been twice to the dealer. they've replaced the switch which made it worst. Now they blame it on the lojack that is plugged on the DLC from the other dealer I leased the car.. Go figures. Ordered another part to try and fix it...again.

8leaf said:
I'm new here but when I got my SV leaf I had issues registering to the site as well.
It took few days I guess for the dealer or nissan to push the vin to their data base of sold/leased cars.
I enabled nissan connect on the head unit of the car but still couldn't connect with the app or should I say the 3 apps that are in the android play store.
Nissan connect app still shows my car as not registered but there was a link in it that directed me to the https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/
I think it was the info icon (i).

From there I logged on and noticed the Nissan Connect Services. And it took me maybe few days to notice that and check all the boxes to agree on nissan spying on me and my car:)

Anyway the nissan app is slow for sure and it seems to be just a container for their web page portal, which explains why it's so slow.
My leaf app is 3rd party and not as feature rich but it's faster.

Hope that helps.

P.S. One month in I have my power mirror switch not working. Seems that the wires are crossed sine on of the axis on the left mirror adjust the right one!
Been twice to the dealer. they've replaced the switch which made it worst. Now they blame it on the lojack that is plugged on the DLC from the other dealer I leased the car.. Go figures. Ordered another part to try and fix it...again.

8leaf
I have been through all the calls to tech support with reregistering the VIN, reinstalling the EV Connect app, etc
The app still does not work.
Spoke with the 800/Tech support today, after placing another request and elevation of problem on 11/1, they don't call back.
I have to bring my car to the dealer to have them run the full diagnostics on the TCU, which they apparently did not do a few weeks ago when I brought the car in.. According to tech support, they can send messages to my car, but the car does not communicate back. I find this weird because the SOS button works.

When I check the dealer website, I note my car is still on their website.
Is it possible that the reason my Leaf EV Connect does not work is because my car has not been released as sold from the Nissan car finder system?

Baltneu said:
Is it possible that the reason my Leaf EV Connect does not work is because my car has not been released as sold from the Nissan car finder system?

The car has to be registered in your name with Nissan.
You have to create a Nissan Owner Portal Account.

The Nissan EV Support people are the only ones that can help you. They should be able to answer any questions you have. The car dealers website that shows available cars is not linked to the Nissan Owner Registration System. It is possible that the dealer did not properly report the sale to Nissan, but the EV Support people should be able to tell you if that is part of your issue.

baustin said:
Baltneu said:

The car has to be registered in your name with Nissan.
You have to create a Nissan Owner Portal Account.

The Nissan EV Support people are the only ones that can help you. They should be able to answer any questions you have. The car dealers website that shows available cars is not linked to the Nissan Owner Registration System. It is possible that the dealer did not properly report the sale to Nissan, but the EV Support people should be able to tell you if that is part of your issue.

Yep, that’s what I thought
Dealer removed it, still does not work
Working with tech support and dealer for resolution

Brought back to dealer, ran TCU diagnostics, board failed, ordering new board.......
New TCU board being installed Tuesday.

Back