2016 Nissan Leaf SV - changes from 2015 SV, fog lights&auto on-off headlights possible?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimLee said:
LookingFor2016Leaf said:
... I understand Nissan's desire to reduce the number of variants they have to produce in the factory, and thus get rid of the LED & Quick Charge package for the SV. ...

I do not understand their excessive zeal for reducing options and thereby failing to over what the customer wants.

To link all the options to SL and then offer it only with Black leather seats is insane.

Harkens back to the days of the Ford Model T.

Offered only in Black :?

My statement "I understand Nissan's desire..." was not meant in a way that I agree with their decision, as obviously I would be interested in a SV (due to NOT wanting the SL's leather seats) _with_ all the extras of auto on-off lights, fog lights and LED, which now are not available anymore in the 2016 thanks to the elimination of the LED & Quick Charge package and subsequently the different trim level contents. Still, while I disagree with it, I can also understand Nissan's point of view: economies of scale, so less variants to manufacture = higher numbers of intentical products at a lower cost. I would not be surprised if for the 2017 there would be one universal SVL trim line with no options and no other color than black. ;-)

LeftieBiker said:
I, OTOH, would like an SL with a black *cloth* interior.

Yes, for me, I guess an SL with cloth interior would be ok as well - only I like the *light* cloth interior (doesn't heat up the car so much when parked in the sun). :)

You can make the cigarette lighter an "always hot" plug like many cars are.. Secondly, what I did is that you bypass the car's electrical system. You attach the solar panel to the dashboard, and run the wire out of the cabin , directly attaching to the battery terminals with a female cigarette outlet that has alligator clips onto the terminals. You can use one of the many holes in the car's firewall to run the wire from the cabin to the battery. I have done that on three of my cars and it works very well, with no complications... As a result, all of my batteries are always at 100%, and I have gotten 6-8 years lifespan on my batteries as a result.

powersurge said:
... directly attaching to the battery terminals with a female cigarette outlet that has alligator clips onto the terminals. ...
No, should not connect directly to the battery negative terminal.
The LEAF negative cable from the battery to ground connection measures 12V current.
Charging connection should be to the vehicle ground, not the battery terminal.

See previous topic on using LEAF for jump starting where Ingineer explains this.

Valdemar said:
If you are looking to buy and not lease then the better capacity warranty on the 2016 by itself easily compensates for all the shortcomings listed.

No, the real world situation is >5000$ difference between 2016 vs 2015, and you can buy a brand new batter by the end of 5 years.

seanxushen said:
No, the real world situation is >5000$ difference between 2016 vs 2015, and you can buy a brand new batter by the end of 5 years.

The MSRP difference between the 2015 and 2016 is $2520 (SL) or $2950 (SV). At the very least, you get a bigger battery and a longer warranty. The additional $2000 to $2500 market price difference is due to the car being a new model year. When the 2015 first came to dealer lots, you could easy get an additional $2000 discount on remaining 2014s compared to the 2015. New cars don't get as good of discounts as cars that have been on the lot for more than 30 days AND that have a newer, better model selling next to it.

Also consider battery cost with the 2015 (or 2016 S)...

After 5 years, you may need a $5500 battery.
After 10 years, you may be up to $11,000.

With a 2016, you won't need $11,000 worth of batteries after 10 years of ownership. So that extra money you spent, whether it's $2000 or $5000, is going to pay for itself in battery replacement savings.

Also, consider usable range at end of life. By the time the 30kWh reaches end of life, it's going to be much more usable than a 24kWh pack. So you may be able to push back an out-of-warranty replacement much longer with a 2016 than you could with a 2015- further enhancing the value of that larger pack.

So, yeah, I would make the argument that even if there was a $5000 price difference, the 2016 would represent the better value for long term ownership.

I think we have made many conversations on this topic... Staying on the SV topic, If you are looking to buy an SV, of course wait for the better, more expensive 2016 model. I just think that trying to compare battery replacement costs, depreciation cost, etc. is irrelevant because even though people seem to view the lifespan of a battery as only five years, I suspect that the "usable" life of a battery is more in the 8-10 year range. Yes, the range will get lower over time, but you can get more years of use by NOT CHANGING THE BATTERY AT 5 YEARS and using it as a 20-30 mile per day, neighborhood car. I truly believe that the body/ mechanical / and electric drive parts of the Leaf are just as good as any car, and have a usable lifetime of 20 years for average driver.

When you DO change the battery (after 8-10 years for $5,000), it is not an "expense", but the cost of getting that car to work for you for another 10 years. So, when you buy a Leaf, spending of an additional $5,000 for a new battery down the road is the cost of using the car for 16-20 years!. During that time, your travel expenses are so cheap (or FREE - I charge daily with chargepoint for my daily driving).

No other car (gas powered) on the road can offer you that value. Any new gas car you buy will cost you tens of thousands in fuel and maintenance during its lifetime (e.g. GAS - 20 years X $50/ week X 52 weeks = $52,000 in gas, PLUS MAINTENANCE - average of $1,000/ year X 20 years in oil, fluids, engine, exhaust, and other maintenance items of gas engines = $20,000 - for a grand total of $72,000 cost of operating a ICE vehicle for 20 years). Now does ANY Leaf you buy sound expensive?

powersurge said:
When you DO change the battery (after 8-10 years for $5,000), it is not an "expense", but the cost of getting that car to work for you for another 10 years.

Another assumption being made here is that in 5 years a replacement battery will still be $5K, let alone that in 10 years!

I replaced my Prius traction battery at 140K miles. When the notion of replacing Prius batteries first came out it was a nearly $10K investment. Today, the MSRP on a new battery is less than $2500. At the time I replaced my battery it cost me $3K. Had I planned for the cost of replacement up front by saving money for it, i would have probably ended up with $4K leftover.

Back