Spies
Delivery Date: 10 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0255

Nissan's LEAF to Home Power Control System V2H PCS

Sat May 19, 2012 9:32 am

I was not able to find a dedicated thread about this so I thought I would start a new one.

I was hoping to find more information on Nissan's LEAF to Home Power Control System. Also known as Vehicle to Home Power Control System or V2H PCS for short. I have not been able to find much info about the system and if Nissan even intends to bring it to the states.

I would also like to know how such a system would be most efficiently integrated with a PV solar system. I am entertaining the idea of installing a solar system myself and would like to future proof it as best I can to allow for integration of a V2H PCS.

Any links to information is most appreciated.

Thanks!
Green Honda EV Plus 02/1998-12/2003 plate "ZERO CO2" rip, Aptera 2e #726 canceled
Blue Nissan Leaf SL loaded reserved 04/20/2010 ordered 08/31/2010 EVSE Blink #182
CARWINGS Nickname Theres233, should be Spies

gascant
Delivery Date: 13 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2209

Re: Nissan's LEAF to Home Power Control System V2H PCS

Mon May 21, 2012 10:11 am

Spies--one of the members of SF BayLEAFs just redid a home in Berkeley and he had it wired to accept a V2H system. I can share who it is in an email. I could also check some of the BayLEAFs contacts at Nissan to see if they have anything they want to share.
2011 LEAF SL brilliant silver + QC
DRL's, Seat Heaters, Horn, LEDs and EVSE upgrades
Over 24,300 miles gas-free
http://sfbayleafs.org

JeremyW
Delivery Date: 23 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 19136

Mon May 21, 2012 11:01 am

I've been trying to follow what Nissan and Mitsubishi are doing as far as V2H or vehicle to grid goes. From what I've read, they are both using the CHAdeMO port, but had different standards as far as how to convince the car to keep the contactor closed. They are now working together to create a standard for pulling power out of the CHAdeMO port. See here in Japanese or here for a translation.

The 1.0.0 CHAdeMO spec was released on January 31st that may include bidirectional compatibility. All the '11s and I believe the '12s conform to the 0.9 spec which does not officially include the ability to pull from the pack.

Also see Mitsubishi's "power box" which is an off grid inverter rated for 1.5kW: here. Relevant youtube video on it.

I've seriously considered getting the iMiEV instead of the Leaf due to the fact that I could be the first to do vehicle to grid with a production vehicle. I'd import a power box and monitor and emulate the CAN messages and hook it up to my isolated grid tie inverter. I'm very serious about vehicle to grid. :)

Basically, if you want to learn more about this stuff, you've got to know Japanese or snuggle up with translate.google.com ;)

Jeremy
Former 2012 SL leasee 6/23/12 - 9/23/15
Now driving Honda Fit EV, License plate: CHADEMO
2000 Honda Insight for long trips

kovalb
Delivery Date: 09 Apr 2014

Mon May 21, 2012 3:05 pm

JeremyW wrote:I've seriously considered getting the iMiEV instead of the Leaf due to the fact that I could be the first to do vehicle to grid with a production vehicle. I'd import a power box and monitor and emulate the CAN messages and hook it up to my isolated grid tie inverter. I'm very serious about vehicle to grid. :) Jeremy

Please do yourself a favor and first drive both cars. To say the iMiEV does not compare well to the LEAF is an understatement.

Nissan already showed a V2G system for Japan. http://www.triplepundit.com/2011/08/nissan-leaf-able-power-homes-japan/ There is significant demand for something like this in light of their post 3/11 situation.
Had six Nissan LEAFs in five years. Hope to get another.
Retired Nissan Employee (NTCNA-AZ). Opinions expressed here are my own.

JimSouCal

Mon May 21, 2012 3:18 pm

Might be both wishful and naive thinking on my part, but my bet is 3rd party vendors will also be able to offer up power management solutions for both the LEAF and batteries that may be upgraded leaving behind the originals for future power management.

JeremyW

Mon May 21, 2012 4:20 pm

kovalb wrote:Please do yourself a favor and first drive both cars. To say the iMiEV does not compare well to the LEAF is an understatement.

I have. Still, the prospect of being able to do vehicle to grid with the i is tempting. Of course, both will be able to in time. I'm probably going to import a power box for testing regardless of what car I get.

Jeremy

esounds
Delivery Date: 04 May 2012

Sat May 26, 2012 10:28 pm

This is an interesting concept... I was wondering what would stop people from filling up at a free public station and then using the power at home...

hauteborne
Delivery Date: 17 Jul 2016

Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:20 am

Hi everyone,

I am building a CHAdeMO V2H device here in France. this would a prototype to begin with, just something that I can use at my house. I would like to share experiences with you - Jeremy, reading your posts about the i-MIEV, did you manage to get one from Japan?

Did you consider instead the V2H PLC from Nichicon in Japan? (6kW).

There is also princetonpower's CA-15 : http://www.princetonpower.com/images/CA ... ne2015.pdf

Anyone had experiences with these in the US?
Thanks!

hauteborne
Delivery Date: 17 Jul 2016

Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:46 am

JeremyW wrote:I've been trying to follow what Nissan and Mitsubishi are doing as far as V2H or vehicle to grid goes. From what I've read, they are both using the CHAdeMO port, but had different standards as far as how to convince the car to keep the contactor closed. They are now working together to create a standard for pulling power out of the CHAdeMO port. See here in Japanese or here for a translation.

The 1.0.0 CHAdeMO spec was released on January 31st that may include bidirectional compatibility. All the '11s and I believe the '12s conform to the 0.9 spec which does not officially include the ability to pull from the pack.

Also see Mitsubishi's "power box" which is an off grid inverter rated for 1.5kW: here. Relevant youtube video on it.

I've seriously considered getting the iMiEV instead of the Leaf due to the fact that I could be the first to do vehicle to grid with a production vehicle. I'd import a power box and monitor and emulate the CAN messages and hook it up to my isolated grid tie inverter. I'm very serious about vehicle to grid. :)

Basically, if you want to learn more about this stuff, you've got to know Japanese or snuggle up with translate.google.com ;)

Jeremy

Jeremy,
I think that using CHAdeMO as a standard, people may well use i-MIEV power box or Honda Power Exporter 9000, with any CHAdeMO car, with perhaps a bit of code.

JeremyW

Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:48 pm

No, I didn't get one. I am closer to V2G projects these days though, but nothing I can talk about publicly.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”