SOC-Meter as Heads-Up Display

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garygid

If one:

1. installs the display upside down (thus also left-right reversed when viewed from the front),
2. places this mis-constructed SOC-Meter on the dash in front of the driver, facing forward (away from the driver),
3. and adds a mirror in front of the SOC-Meter to reflect the digits more-or-less upward into the windshield glass ...

One have a crude Heads-Up display, right?

Sure, it's easier to place the "normal" SOC-Meter (with the sunshine filter) on the dash, and just read it directly.

But, just thinking.

Try it without anything but a current SOC meter and the mirror. I can't imagine that you don't need something reflective in the windshield, and maybe there is now.

Yes, a crude but easy test of the windshield's reflection is to just tip the standard SOC-Meter on its back, placed somewhere fairly far forward on the dashboard (in front of the driver).

Of course, the digits would either be left-right reversed, or upside down.

If the digits are sufficiently visible, the meter could be faced forward instead of up, and a second mirror could be added, at a right angle to the winshield.

I an still too unpredictably "damp and squishy" to get around much. :eek:

I am still too unpredictably "damp and squishy" to get around much.
Glad to see you are feeling well enough to be bringing up new subjects. Hoping you soon feel "drier and firmer." ;)

The reflection from untreated glass is plenty good for aircraft HUDs (Head Up Displays) and equally good from the back of automobile windshields at night. If the SOC meter display source is bright enough, there should also be no problems in daylight.

At least on Android devices, there are several aps for heading and/or speed which produce a reversed image. Put the phone on the dashboard in front of the steering wheel and the image reflects correctly back off the back of the windshield like a mini-HUD. (Just make sure it is not able to slide around!) Make a change to the SOC meter software to provide for a reverse image and the mirror can be eliminated. Add a connector for a second low-profile display, and the larger SOC box can be kept down in the center console or be buried completely behind the panel.

Just a few thoughts in case you find some some boring spots on the road to recovery... :)

Ignoring that the 4 digits on the Display are slanted to the right slightly, they could be shown in reverse order, with each digit reversed.

Thanks for the good thoughts.

garygid said:
Ignoring that the 4 digits on the Display are slanted to the right slightly, they could be shown in reverse order, with each digit reversed.
The left-handed people of the world (or at least this forum) will thank you for at least one "normal" display which slants the same direction as they write. :lol:

Back