Brake Failure

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

futureleaf

Has anyone had or heard of the Leaf having brake failure? A couple of weeks ago, the brake warning light on my dash would come on intermittently and when I put the car in D with my foot on the brake pedal, the car would still lunge forward.

I took it in to my dealer who said there was no trouble code. I have a report stating that.

Yesterday, I was driving on the freeway at around 60mph. Traffic comes to a stop. I step on the brake pedal and it goes to the floor. My Leaf doesn't stop and I end up rear-ending the car in front...Leaf totaled!

My insurance company won't investigate so that leaves me to do all the sleuthing.

Any input will help.

Thanks!

Google and Bing/Yahoo for site:mynissanleaf.com brake failure.

Since it sounds like there was no user error and the car won't be repaired, please file a safety complaint w/NHTSA at https://www.safercar.gov/.

People have reported bad and even scary brake behavior when powering up if the 12 volt is bad. Can't find the thread right now.

Yes there has been numerous reports like this but this is the first time I've heard of it happen at speed. Thankfully you are ok but that sounds like a nightmare scenario.

Nissan has issued a recall for the Leaf's brakes, I would start there. If the dealer sent you away without informing you of the recall and your vehicle has never had the recall performed then I would think they could be held accountable.

This story makes me want to always have LeafSpy running so that I can capture the go/brake pedal information and log it in case of issues...

AntronX said:
Wow, this is bad. You have 2012 SL, correct? Who is your insurance company?

My insurance company is Esurance. Luckily I had GAP that paid off my loan but Esurance claims said they are not going to pursue the brake failure. I showed the CHP officer who took the report a copy of my dealer diagnostic service and the officer checked the box "mechanical malfunction" for me.

VitaminJ said:
Yes there has been numerous reports like this but this is the first time I've heard of it happen at speed. Thankfully you are ok but that sounds like a nightmare scenario.

Nissan has issued a recall for the Leaf's brakes, I would start there. If the dealer sent you away without informing you of the recall and your vehicle has never had the recall performed then I would think they could be held accountable.

When I took the Leaf into the dealer three weeks ago for a clicking sound, I asked the service adviser if there was a recall for brakes like software upgrade and the adviser said no...even when I told him that my brake light would come and surge forward while my foot was on the pedal...so no work was ever done.

cwerdna said:
Google and Bing/Yahoo for site:mynissanleaf.com brake failure.

Since it sounds like there was no user error and the car won't be repaired, please file a safety complaint w/NHTSA at https://www.safercar.gov/.

People have reported bad and even scary brake behavior when powering up if the 12 volt is bad. Can't find the thread right now.

Thank you for the suggestion. Since my Leaf was totaled, and I needed a car fast, I replaced it with a 2015 Fiat 500e off lease for $8000 with only 21k miles on it. Still under warranty until 40k AND it is getting 101 miles on a full charge. There doesn't seem to be any battery degradation because the lithium battery is liquid cooled.

Back