charging ! Need faster equipment, heelp !

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCBX

Hi all

Been Reading almost all post in here and still confused

Having an 2012 Leaf , charging level 1 oem cable at 240V ( I'm inside EU )

Need 12 hours for a complete charge

If I buy a level 2 charger then it should need 6-8 hours ? Right ?

But Evse open source shows that 80A level 2 is possible

But is this possible with the oem charger ? Cant be right or ?

Could someone please tell mé what right and NOT

Thanks in advance

Sincerely
JCBX

JCBX said:
Having an 2012 Leaf ......

Thanks in advance

Sincerely
JCBX

You Need to do a bit more reading.
With AC charging, the Charger is in the vehicle.
The EVSE is just a glorified light switch that allows current to flow to the charger.

The 11 and 12 chargers are limited to 3.3kw, regardless of how much power is available.
I have found that in the real world, you never run the car to 0% charge, and at our 240VAC input in the US, it takes about 4 hours to bring the car back up from real world discharge states.

There are options.
DCQC and adding additional chargers to the vehicle.

Hope this helps a little

JCBX said:
It would take six to seven hours from near empty to full. But, as KillaWhat noted above, one rarely needs that much charge. The 2012 LEAF has a 3,3 kW charger so how long it takes depends on how much charge you need. A new LEAF has about 21-22 kWh usable. That will drop as the battery ages.

No, the charging speed is limited by the 3,3 kW on-board charger.

At 240 Volts the LEAF will draw 16 Amps, regardless of how much more current the EVSE can supply. 16 Amps x 240 Volts = 3840 Watts. Of that, about 3300 Watts (3,3 kW) makes it to the battery and the rest is charging losses from the inverter, cooling pumps, etc.

JCBX said:
Having an 2012 Leaf , charging level 1 oem cable at 240V ( I'm inside EU )

Need 12 hours for a complete charge

A 16A wall charging station will see you charged up in ~6 hrs, yes.

If your Leaf happens to have the 6.6 kW charger option, and you have a 30A (7kW) charging station, then it'll be 3 hrs.

The lead that plugs into a standard socket is 10A = Slow.

In EU, the lead for a standard domestic socket comes with the Leaf, and you'll have to buy a lead for public charging with charging stations with a Type 2 socket (it is the other way around for other makes of car). For domestic use, you could opt for a station with a tethered plug.

This should all be made very clear in the Leaf documentation/book/dealer brochures. I'm not even sure why I am taking time to write this!! Ah well, I must be feeling charitable this evening....

donald said:
I'm not even sure why I am taking time to write this!! Ah well, I must be feeling charitable this evening....
newownermnl

Ah, yes, I can certainly relate to that feeling ;-)

Thanks for all the above answers !

I'm going 2 x 120 km on Daily basis and cant get the leaf to reach more than 100-110 km

Even at speed locked at 80km/h

No vent or ac on !

Been driving EVs for many years now but the Leaf seems to be a pain

My charging is 10A 240V witch must add up to 2300W

And with the level2 charger it Would boost to 3700W at 16A

Next step must be the Brusa chargers then

Again thanks for the answers

JCBX

JCBX said:
Thanks for all the above answers !

I'm going 2 x 120 km on Daily basis and cant get the leaf to reach more than 100-110 km

What's your charging arrangement at the other end? Improving charging at just one end would not help in this situation. It is questionable to be relying on a Leaf at all for this trip.

Driving 80 is conservative enough.
You need an evse that allows 16a charging.

Consider an upgrade to the existing brick with evseupgrade.com

Keep in mind you will also need an outlet connector that will supply full power, 20a+.

Brusa might work for some but I recommend trading up to a 2013 if you want 6kW charging.

smkettner said:

There and back. In European winter, with no guarantee the battery is 100% healthy? Stuck in a traffic jam, no heater, debating getting home or not that night ... nice!

donald said:
smkettner said:

There and back. In European winter, with no guarantee the battery is 100% healthy? Stuck in a traffic jam, no heater, debating getting home or not that night ... nice!
Are you saying he should drive even slower?

80Kph seems reasonable to me and as long as LEAF is getting to 100% charge then it is about as good as it gets.

Yes lots of people (including myself) have been dissappointed by the range from the beginning. Range only gets worse with time and use. Battery degradation has also been dissappointing for many people. The LEAF has basically come up way short on these expectations IMO.

LEAF may not have been a good choice for the OP.

smkettner said:
Are you saying he should drive even slower?
No. I'm saying this experienced EV driver (who's fed up with the shortcomings of a Leaf!!?) shouldn't be attempting 240 km in a day when all he says he has is a 10A charger!!

A 10A charger will charge at approx 10km mileage for each hour of operation. So that makes 24 hrs worth of charging. When does he get to drive the 240kms?

Something sounds kooky to me here. Is this a genuine poster, or a wind-up sock-puppet?

smkettner said:
10a 230v should not take the same time as L1.

3M/kWh = 5km/kWh = 11km/2.2kWh = 11km/2.2kW per hour

(I should have known better than to get involved in this thread ..... )

Back