My "ICED" flyer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwatte

There are a variety of "ICED" flyers for leaving on the windshield of those internal combustion drivers who left their glasses/reading-ability/courtesy at home.
I decided to keep mine short and sweet:

iced-flyer.png

I can easily imagine that having the exact opposite effect on some people's behavior... :lol:

=Smidge=

Perhaps we need to contact the ADA lawyers. They did a good job adding the sound to our cars, now they need to help us with our parking spaces. After all we have a range disability.

At least you didn't open with "Dear Ass Clown,"

I have this mental image of a guy saying to himself "that's your problem, greenie, you should have bought gas car"

jwatte said:
There are a variety of "ICED" flyers for leaving on the windshield of those internal combustion drivers who left their glasses/reading-ability/courtesy at home.
I decided to keep mine short and sweet:

iced-flyer.png

I can't seem to get the link to work. I'm not even sure if that is a numeral 1 or an I. I tried both ways.

I also don't care much for the way it makes electric vehicles look weak or disabled. If I were going to make a flyer I'd make some comparison to it being rude, then ask how they would feel if they pulled into a gas station but all of the pumps had electric cars parked in front of them.

Here, it's just as illegal to park an ICE car in a marked (with signage) EV spot as it is for HC spots. So if I ever really need a charge and it's ICEd, it's going to get towed.

LTLFTcomposite said:
"that's your problem, greenie, you should have bought gas car"

It's true that I don't consider raging sociopaths as the potential reader. And it's probably true that those are the most likely to ICE an EV spot
The social contract for EVs is that drivers accept range limitations and the need to charge, and in turn society gets less pollution and less dependence on imports
from unstable states.

Is the logical conclusion that flyers aren't worth the effort? (that actually seems logical now that I think about it)

The URL is what Google gave me as a shortcut for the recent NYT article.

LEAFfan said:
Here, it's just as illegal to park an ICE car in a marked (with signage) EV spot as it is for HC spots. So if I ever really need a charge and it's ICEd, it's going to get towed.
The problem is that in many places it's not, and even where it is, it's often the property owner who has to call the tow truck...and they don't like towing their customers away. So a persuasion campaign is probably a good backup.

LEAFfan said:

With what signage? I have seen none, I have seen EV Charging spot, and the most definitive No parking except for charging EVs. I assume it is last one that is illegal?

Where I live I have to drive at least 30 miles to even find a charging station. So I guess I don't need any flyers to carry around with me. I actually wish we had the problem you have. At least that would mean the stations exist.

There is only one truly effective mechanism for parking enforcement that has ever been devised... the tow truck. The boot is the only other one that comes close. Municipalities don't like to be too heavy handed on parking enforcement though; it's bad for business.

Whatever note you leave, you have to print them on the same color and size paper that your local police use for tickets- just to scare them when they are walking toward their car. ;)

Smidge204 said:
I can easily imagine that having the exact opposite effect on some people's behavior... :lol:

=Smidge=
Exactly!

No play on guilt, just: "Please don't block an electric vehicle charging station".

Sometimes you get a large warning notice stuck to your window in a bright color.. with some nasty adhesive.. I would try to make it look a bit official but dont over do it.. have some blank spots so you can fill in the date and license plate number by hand.

There are many available:

http://www.myparkingpermit.com/Parking-Stickers/Parking-Violation-Stickers.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Illegal-Parking-Violation-Sticker-D-2053.gif

I'm still experimenting with the verbiage to include on windshield flyers to discourage ICE vehicle parking offenders. It's a challenge for me to balance my need to express a hint of anger with the more sensible desire to communicate the most effective message - that is, to actually try to change future behavior, rather than just getting immediate gratification from unloading on some - most likely clueless - soul. I say that because I suspect that most ICEers are not malicious, but rather guilty of nothing more than inattention, possibly verging on laziness.

That said, I'm leaning toward a variation on this riff:

Let's make a deal: I agree not to park my electric vehicle where it would block your access to a gas pump, if you will agree not to park your car in spaces such as this that block my access to an EV charging station. Fair enough? Thanks for being neighborly, next time!

It stops just short of being snarky, I think, but makes the point clearly. If the driver is an EV h8er then nothing is going to be effective, but for anyone else, I'd like to think there's a chance it could make a difference.

I stopped in at a Ralph's in North Hollywood to try out their newly installed L2 Blinks.

All spots 'iced'. I especially loved this Missouri-plate SUV for going for the "double"; taking out not one but two EVSEs.

scaled.php

Except for the SUV, I really couldn't blame the drivers who parked here. There's no signage. It's good the Blinks are placed in an out of the way corner of the lot but on this day it was one of the few shady spots so, popular. I waited until a driver returned (not Missouri), and politely let her know that this was the only spot where electric cars could park and charge. She apologized and said she had no idea.

I picked up a few items in Ralph's and after checking out, spoke to the manager. FIrst I commended him for getting EV charging stations and said it makes his store a better shopping choice for me. Then I mentioned that I couldn't use any of the stations when I pulled in because all the spaces were occupied with non-EV cars. I suggested some kind of signage or painted spaces to inform customers since I didn't think it was intentional, there was just nothing obvious about the purpose of those spots. I said I'm sure the Blink folks can suggest an EV parking space paint stencil or signage. He said that seems reasonable and he'd see if they can add something.
We'll see.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/blinksonice.jpg

LTLFTcomposite said:
There is only one truly effective mechanism for parking enforcement that has ever been devised... the tow truck. The boot is the only other one that comes close. Municipalities don't like to be too heavy handed on parking enforcement though; it's bad for business.

However, when I was a cop, one of our instructions was that we were NOT to use our discretion when it came to parking tickets IF a citizen called the complaint into us initially and to write the ticket and tow. The downside was the trucks were usually backed up to a 4-8 hour delay on ticket/tow calls. KCMO

sparky said:
I stopped in at a Ralph's in North Hollywood to try out their newly installed L2 Blinks. ...
What a curious install. They used one ADA type pedestal, but put it on a built up platform so it probably isn't accessible any more...and it's not in a blue space. It would make sense if they had used ALL short ones to make up for the extra high base, but they didn't.

garsh said:
I don't know why, but it irks me even more when a Prius does it. ;)
Yeah... they either a) know better b) should know better or c) think that they are driving an EV since it has an electric mode. Can't really blame them for being ignorant or stupid.

Back