KeiJidosha
Gold Member
Posts: 825
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 11:57 am
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015
Location: Simi Valley, CA

Re: Ford C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid

Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:29 pm

Nissan LEAF
Length 175"
Base Curb Weight (lbs) 3366

Ford C-Max energi
Length 173"
Base Curb Weight (lbs.) 4960

http://www.ford.com/cars/cmax/specifications/view-all/

?!?

Edit: Now listed as 3859 :)
Last edited by KeiJidosha on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GRA
Posts: 3986
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Ford C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid

Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:34 pm

KeiJidosha wrote:Nissan LEAF
Length 175"
Base Curb Weight (lbs) 3366

Ford C-Max energi
Length 173"
Base Curb Weight (lbs.) 4960

http://www.ford.com/cars/cmax/specifications/view-all/

?!?

I agree. 4,000 or even 4,200 I might buy, although with the Volt coming in under 3,800 lb. with a battery ~twice the size I find it hard to believe that AWD would add that much weight. I think someone boobed and put GVWR instead of curb weight.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do YOU do, Sir?" J.M. Keynes

DrInnovation
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:47 pm
Location: Colorado Springs. Volt Owner

Re: Ford C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid

Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:14 pm

GRA wrote:
KeiJidosha wrote:Nissan LEAF
Length 175"
Base Curb Weight (lbs) 3366

Ford C-Max energi
Length 173"
Base Curb Weight (lbs.) 4960

http://www.ford.com/cars/cmax/specifications/view-all/

?!?

I agree. 4,000 or even 4,200 I might buy, although with the Volt coming in under 3,800 lb. with a battery ~twice the size I find it hard to believe that AWD would add that much weight. I think someone boobed and put GVWR instead of curb weight.



The C-Max energi is FWD not AWD.

Curb weight is 3,859 lbs (see http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2013_CMAX_Specs.pdf)
Loving the Volt. I've saved 29 gallons compared to a BEV+CUV. From 10/29/11 to 12/29/12, went 11097 on 27.7 gallons of gas + 2742kWh Total fuel costs=$259.27, yielding: 0.25 gal./100mi, 400.5 MPG, 101.73MPGe, 166.5 MPG$ or $.0234/mi.

GRA
Posts: 3986
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Ford C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid

Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:11 pm

DrInnovation wrote:
GRA wrote:
KeiJidosha wrote:Nissan LEAF
Length 175"
Base Curb Weight (lbs) 3366

Ford C-Max energi
Length 173"
Base Curb Weight (lbs.) 4960

http://www.ford.com/cars/cmax/specifications/view-all/

?!?

I agree. 4,000 or even 4,200 I might buy, although with the Volt coming in under 3,800 lb. with a battery ~twice the size I find it hard to believe that AWD would add that much weight. I think someone boobed and put GVWR instead of curb weight.



The C-Max energi is FWD not AWD.

Curb weight is 3,859 lbs (see http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2013_CMAX_Specs.pdf)

They're designing a CUV with no plans to offer AWD as an option??!! That curb weight makes a lot more sense.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do YOU do, Sir?" J.M. Keynes

DrInnovation
Posts: 197
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:47 pm
Location: Colorado Springs. Volt Owner

Re: Ford C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid

Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:03 pm

GRA wrote:SNIP

They're designing a CUV with no plans to offer AWD as an option??!! That curb weight makes a lot more sense.



We don't know what they plan, only the plans they announce. We can still hope a future enhancement. I really don't understand why they are not pushing AWD more with EV/PHEV... for the few times a year we need the awd (or even ICE) I'd be okay with a through the road hybrid which could be cheaper to build than a parallel hybrid.
Loving the Volt. I've saved 29 gallons compared to a BEV+CUV. From 10/29/11 to 12/29/12, went 11097 on 27.7 gallons of gas + 2742kWh Total fuel costs=$259.27, yielding: 0.25 gal./100mi, 400.5 MPG, 101.73MPGe, 166.5 MPG$ or $.0234/mi.

KeiJidosha
Gold Member
Posts: 825
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 11:57 am
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015
Location: Simi Valley, CA

Re: Ford C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid

Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:07 pm

Article and video of C-Max Hybrid/Energi transmission;

Ford Builds Only FWD Hybrid Transmission To Be Made in North America

scottf200
Posts: 1447
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:21 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011
Location: In my Volt VIN 01234 <actual>
Contact: Website

Re: Ford C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Ford C-Max Energi Has 85 MPH Top Speed, Mentions Prius Plug-In Five Times In Press Release
http://insideevs.com/ford-c-max-energi- ... s-release/
<snip>
Ford also highlights the fact that their plug-in hybrid can drive for over 20 miles all electrically, while the Prius can only do so for 6…which is a technicality of sorts by negating the highway portion of the EPA test. The Prius can actually drive about 11 miles (or more) provided you don’t trip the petrol engine.

The C-Max is priced at $33,745, which not accidentally, makes it just under 30K at $29,995, after federal credits are applied. The vehicle will be AT-PZEV compliant in California (HOV stickers for everyone!), and will also qualify for an additional $1,500 credit in that state. The Prius plug-in, has a lower starting MSRP of $32,760, but qualifies for less incentives because of its smaller battery, and actually nets out about $260 more at $30,255 in the end.
<snip>

Image
My car plate: Hey... FAUQUE 2 ...OPEC | 40K EV miles and 80% EV usage - Sorry :(PEC
Volt = ~40 mile BEV up to 100 MPH, then 40 MPG serial hybrid with a 9 gal gas tank
Tesla Model X deposit - Sig:603 | 2011 Volt to kid | 2016 for wife | 2012 other kid

GRA
Posts: 3986
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: East side of San Francisco Bay

Re: Ford C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:01 pm

scottf200 wrote:Ford C-Max Energi Has 85 MPH Top Speed, Mentions Prius Plug-In Five Times In Press Release
http://insideevs.com/ford-c-max-energi- ... s-release/
<snip>
Ford also highlights the fact that their plug-in hybrid can drive for over 20 miles all electrically, while the Prius can only do so for 6…which is a technicality of sorts by negating the highway portion of the EPA test. The Prius can actually drive about 11 miles (or more) provided you don’t trip the petrol engine.

The C-Max is priced at $33,745, which not accidentally, makes it just under 30K at $29,995, after federal credits are applied. The vehicle will be AT-PZEV compliant in California (HOV stickers for everyone!), and will also qualify for an additional $1,500 credit in that state. The Prius plug-in, has a lower starting MSRP of $32,760, but qualifies for less incentives because of its smaller battery, and actually nets out about $260 more at $30,255 in the end.
<snip>

Image

Oh, I do like how they're handling EV/Hybrid modes. I'd be using EV Now for the minimal amount of town driving at each end of my typical trip, but spend the majority of my time in EV Later (same as the Hold button, I guess, for the 2013 Volt) on the highway/freeway. And I could actually afford one of these. The question is, do I make my move early and assume that BEVs aren't going to get significantly better range @ reduced cost anytime soon, or do I wait 2-4 years for something like Envia's battery to get into production?
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do YOU do, Sir?" J.M. Keynes

IBELEAF
Posts: 1235
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:23 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Apr 2011
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Ford C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:15 pm

This is Rev 1 for Ford, if I were to get one I would go for lease, but 20 mile range is just not going to cut it and probably winter time it will be below 15.
Currently: '12 Volt (12k) since 7/2012
Previously: '11 Leaf SL (w/ 12k miles & 16 month ownership)

mitch672
Posts: 1956
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:10 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Ford C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid

Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:57 pm

Let's see how it does in "the real world", the "specs" are better than the PiP, but how many are willing to buy a Ford Gen1 product? People don't drive specs... Toyota has more than 12 years experience with the Prius in the U.S., more than 15 years counting Japan (1997). To say I distrust the "big 3" is a huge understatement. They are going to have to prove themselves, I'd give them until 2020 to get it right.

My next car is a Tesla Model S, but won't be in until Spring/Summer 2013. Ford can only dream they had Teslas Model S backlog :)
2012 Advanced Plug in Prius (sold)
I Support OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/
My Fuelly page: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/mitch672/prius-plugin
Tesla Model S 85KW Dolphin Grey VIN: 03245, delivered 1/17/2013

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”