Things you don't need when you own a Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TEG said:
And many of us have the little solar panel (SL) on the back that is supposed to keep the aux battery topped off.

Has anyone had their 12V battery in a Leaf go dead such that a jump start worked?
I needed a jump start a few times in my Prius after someone left the interior lights on, and several short trips were not enough to recharge the 12V battery. It is really embarrassing for a Prius to need a jump start from the AAA tow truck when it has this big traction battery sitting useless. So I started carrying a 12V lantern battery and jumper cables for emergencies. You don't need much current to jump start the computer. An absent-minded Leaf SV owner, or one with kids, who felt a risk of 12V battery drainage might do the same. Disclaimer: I don't know what the owners manual nor Nissan service say about jump starting from a lantern battery.

The jumper cables may help you in your LEAF, of may help another motorist. They're cheap (like $12 at Walmart) and will fit in the little compartment that should have a jack (and does have a lug wrench).

When the car is off, the DC converter only fires up every 5 days to keep the battery charged, so it is quite possible to run it down in the interim. The solar panel in the back - better known as the gimmick - only puts out about 5 watts so it couldn't even keep up with one of the 5 watt interior lights that was left on, and that would be in full sun.

TEG said:
TonyWilliams said:
I still carry jumper cables. If the little lead acid under the LEAF's hood quits, your LEAF will not start. Just like an ICE car.

Yes, but hopefully they designed it to have the DC/DC converter keep it topped off with main pack power even if you left some lights on with the car "off".

And many of us have the little solar panel (SL) on the back that is supposed to keep the aux battery topped off.

Has anyone had their 12V battery in a Leaf go dead such that a jump start worked?

Automobile mechanics
Parts departments
Dealerships
Gasoline stations

A lot of people will lose jobs when electric cars take over, sooner than most expect.

Desertstraw said:
Automobile mechanics
Parts departments
Dealerships
Gasoline stations

A lot of people will lose jobs when electric cars take over, sooner than most expect.

Maybe the gas stations - although we are a long ways for electric car technology to be able to support all of our vehicles (pickup trucks, huge semis, etc...). As for the parts departments and dealerships, I don't see reasons for them disappearing.

mogur said:
When the car is off, the DC converter only fires up every 5 days to keep the battery charged, so it is quite possible to run it down in the interim. The solar panel in the back - better known as the gimmick - only puts out about 5 watts so it couldn't even keep up with one of the 5 watt interior lights that was left on, and that would be in full sun.

Ahh a justification for LED interior light upgrades :)

Nissan really needs to increase the size of the Gimmick™

Careful with jumpstarting other cars with the Leaf or Prius, very easy to fry the computers.. these small batteries are for powering the electronics, and dont like driving a big ole starter in a nasty ICE... they really dont like the fat sparks from reverse polarity or corroded jumper cables.

Starter, Alternator, Spark Plugs, Car Keys, Pistons, Rings, Connecting Rods, Valves, Valve Springs, Camshafts, Crank Shaft, Engine Block, Cylinder Block, Cylinder Heads, Valve Covers, Flywheel....

Herm said:
Careful with jumpstarting other cars with the Leaf or Prius, very easy to fry the computers.. these small batteries are for powering the electronics, and dont like driving a big ole starter in a nasty ICE... they really dont like the fat sparks from reverse polarity or corroded jumper cables.

So, what would happen if I disconnected the LEAF battery? How many things need setup again after?

Paying for parking. Here in Hawaii parking is free for EVs at all government lots except for federal ones. This includes parking meters, the University of Hawaii, the airport, convention center, Aloha stadium, Blaisdale Center, etc., etc. You still have to pay on private lots but there is almost always a free municipal near by.

ehuna said:
Desertstraw said:
Automobile mechanics
Parts departments
Dealerships
Gasoline stations

Maybe the gas stations - although we are a long ways for electric car technology to be able to support all of our vehicles (pickup trucks, huge semis, etc...). As for the parts departments and dealerships, I don't see reasons for them disappearing.
Dealerships live on service and parts not car sales.
Others have listed all the routinely replaced auto parts, e.g. spark plugs, that electric cars do not have. What will parts departments sell that will provide enough income to keep them in business? Similarly Pep Boys, Checker, etc. are on the endangered list.

Maintenance Schedule ;)

Every 7,500 miles
  • rotate tires
  • DON'T change oil - there is no oil
  • DON'T replace oil filter - there is no oil

Every 15,000 miles
  • replace cabin air filter
  • inspect brakes
  • DON'T inspect engine cooling system and hoses - there is no engine
  • DON'T inspect exhaust system - there is no exhaust
  • DON'T inspect heat shields - there is no waste heat
  • DON'T inspect transmission fluid level - there is no transmission
  • DON'T clean fuel injectors - there is no fuel

Every 30,000 miles
  • DON'T replace engine air filter - there is no engine
  • DON'T inspect valve clearances - there are no valves
  • DON'T inspect accessory drive belts - there are no drive belts

Every 60,000 miles
  • DON'T replace spark plugs - there is no engine
  • DON'T replace fuel filter - there is no fuel
  • DON'T inspect catalytic converter - there are no exhaust fumes

When you wash a LEAF after having driven it for a while, you don't have to worry about the hood being hot from the ICE under there. So you don't need to rush to get to the hood first so that it doesn't dry too quickly and water spot.

walterbays said:
I needed a jump start a few times in my Prius after someone left the interior lights on, and several short trips were not enough to recharge the 12V battery.

Walter, you'll be pleased to hear this then - Nissan uses what's called a Battery Saver Timing Device in all Nissan vehicles. All interior lights are turned off after 15 minutes and headlights are turned off after 5 minutes. Every Nissan has had this feature for years. :)

Technically, you DO need to do these two things once in a while since the Leaf does have coolant and hoses for a number of items... Also, you are supposed to check the fluid level in the transfer case as well.

walterbays said:
Maintenance Schedule ;)

[*]DON'T inspect engine cooling system and hoses - there is no engine
[*]DON'T inspect transmission fluid level - there is no transmission

Back