Things you don't need when you own a Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehuna

Things you don't need when you own a Nissan Leaf -
Note: list is being updated as we get new answers; some items are funny or political, others more concrete - regardless, enjoy your Leaf!

1. Gas.
2. Oil Change.
3. Catalytic Converter.
4. Fuel Pump.
5. Fuel Filter.
6. Fuel injectors.
7. Muffler.
8. Tailpipe.
9. Timing Belt Replacement.
10. Spark plug wrench.
11. Timing Light.
12. Gas can.
13. Air filter.
14. Dipstick rag.
15. EGR Valve.
16. Oxygen sensor.
17. Spark-plugs.
18. Gas filler cap.
19. Smog Checks.
20. Blown Gasket Replacement.
21. Manual or Automatic Transmission.
22. Valve Job.
23. Tune up.
24. Starter.
25. Alternator.
26. Pistons.
27. Rings.
28. Connecting Rods.
29. Valves.
30. Valve Springs.
31. Camshafts.
32. Crank Shaft.
33. Engine Block.
34. Cylinder Block.
35. Cylinder Heads.
36. Valve Covers.
37. Flywheel.
38. Fuel Injector Cleaning Service.
39. Emission Control Components (you can spend some big bucks on these, for labor).
40. Brake Pad Replacements at 30K miles (regenerative braking, pads last life of car).
41. Oil Absorbent For The Driveway / garage, when you get horrible oil leaks (cam shaft & rear engine oil seals).
42. 30K, 60K, 90K etc Mile Services.
43. 6:15 AM Alarm Clock Setting (carpool lane stickers allow more sleep).
44. Add-On or Third Party Bluetooth Kit.
45. Add-On or Third Party / External Satellite Navigation System.
46. Fuel points from QFC and Fred Meyer purchases, redeemable for 10 cents a gallon discount at Shell gas stations.
47. OPEC and Preparation H.
48. Saudi Arabia.
49. Exxon, Shell, 76, Arco, Chevron, and other Gas Stations and Oil Companies.
50. Offshore and North Slope Drilling.
51. Exxon Valdez, Gulf Oil Spill, and other disasters by Oil companies.
52. War for Oil.

I couldn't find a thread like this, so started this one.

No longer need:

Brake pad replacements at 30K miles (regenerative braking, pads last life of car)

6:15 am alarm clock setting (carpool lane stickers allow more sleep)

This could develop into a loooong list:
Catalytic converter
Fuel pump
fuel filter
Muffler
tailpipe
30K, 60K, 90K etc mile services
smog checks

ehuna said:
Things you don't need when you own a Nissan Leaf, I'll start -

1. Oil change.
2. Smog test.

I couldn't find a thread like this, so started this one.

gas

Oil absorbent for the driveway / garage having gotten rid of the 94 Taurus SHO that had horrible oil leaks (cam shaft & rear engine oil seals)
Also don't need the filter mask to help survive the plume of smoke from the oil dripping on the hot manifold which was especially bad when stopped in traffic.

I was showing a friend the fake valve cover under the hood, and he suggested the purpose must be so you could have some fun with the guys at Jiffy Lube. I was a little tempted to take it in for an oil change just to watch. But I'm afraid they'd bring out an old oil pump to show me, and tell me it needs to be replaced for $300. ;)

Great answers, thanks! I'm updating the list at the top of the thread - it can add to our 'selling points' when we talk about the Leaf.

Spark plug wrench.
Timing light.
Gas can.
Jumper cables.
Air filter.
Dipstick rag.

TonyWilliams said:
I still carry jumper cables. If the little lead acid under the LEAF's hood quits, your LEAF will not start. Just like an ICE car.

Yes, but hopefully they designed it to have the DC/DC converter keep it topped off with main pack power even if you left some lights on with the car "off".

And many of us have the little solar panel (SL) on the back that is supposed to keep the aux battery topped off.

Has anyone had their 12V battery in a Leaf go dead such that a jump start worked?

walterbays said:
I was showing a friend the fake valve cover under the hood, and he suggested the purpose must be so you could have some fun with the guys at Jiffy Lube. I was a little tempted to take it in for an oil change just to watch. But I'm afraid they'd bring out an old oil pump to show me, and tell me it needs to be replaced for $300. ;)

Good one, Walter! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let's add these, because every ICE car has them, and they are almost always expensive to replace:

EGR Valve
Oxygen sensor
Fuel injectors
Sparkplug wires
Gas filler cap
Emission control components (you can spend some big bucks on these, for labor)

The most expensive part to replace lately has been automatic transmissions, and there have been many failures recently.. in cars 3 to 10 year old.

Back