Front License Plate

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rawhog said:
CA VC says the front plate has to be visible to law enforcement and the public, and the original markings cannot be altered. That's ALL it says about the front plate. So, yes it is legit!
Did you cut off the top portion of the plate? Would having the entire plate not be visible be legal? I've seen license plate frames which seem to cover significant real estate; wonder if this is any different? A minor point might be that venting through the numbers on the plate could be viewed as "altering the original markings."

Still, it's another creative thinking-outside-the-box,

Glenn

The dealer drilled my bumper, even though I asked for it not to be
here is what I came up with using the holes that were drilled
plate1.jpg

plate2.jpg

rawhog said:
The rest of the plate is there, I just bent it back. I interpret the "alteration" as meaning for example to change a 3 into an 8. Some kind of alteration that would conceal the real identity of the vehicle. Since what you see matches,the rear plate, stickers and registration, I seriously doubt there will ever be an issue. Have been running PT Cruisers with NO front plate for ten years.

I have always folded the front plate to fit better. It started with an '85 Jaguar which had the thin space on the front bumper for a Euro plate.
One time a bored CHP officer in Sutter Creek wanted to give me a hard time, so he started in about "what did you do? Cut the plate? That's State property you know, you can't cut it."
I said "No, it's just bent. Do you give people tickets for bent plates?"

No ticket. But he didn't look too happy......

I like your location, but I don't want to block that much air, even with louvers.
I will probably fold my plate up to fit in the space just above the chrome strip.

I would use the plate if you come to San Francisco. The meter maids will give you a $100 ticket for no front plate on a parked car!

In case someone hasn't it seen it yet, I am going to link back to my license plate mod:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=4130
platemount2.jpg

Just bring it with you and leave it in the front windshield when you park...

awiegel said:
I would use the plate if you come to San Francisco. The meter maids will give you a $100 ticket for no front plate on a parked car!

frontlicense.png
frontlicensedetail.gif

Bent it by hand. Poked a couple holes, and used 2 heavy zip ties with a little soft rubber under the corners.

No offense or criticism intended ... *but* ... I am not sure if this "mod" ("vandalized" plate) will attract MORE attention from law enforcement or less than NO plate. :|

LEAFer said:
No offense or criticism intended ... *but* ... I am not sure if this "mod" ("vandalized" plate) will attract MORE attention from law enforcement or less than NO plate. :|

+1......I think you're asking for trouble with this. :?

I had mine attached with zip ties similar to this at an angle, while it wasn't bend it still stood out, so I decided to go without front plate for now.

derkraut said:
LEAFer said:

+1......I think you're asking for trouble with this. :?

The first time I did this was 1985, for the front of a Jaguar which had a space that size in the bumper. In about 1988, I had my first and only discussion with a Highway Patrol officer on the subject. It was in Sutter Creek. He was obviously bored, and I was just sitting in the car waiting for my wife. He said "what did you do, cut down the plate? That's Government Property you know and you can't cut it." I said " No, its just bent. Do you give tickets for bent plates?" He grumbled and went away. I continued to run that plate until I sold the car in 2001. Then I got a Mercedes Coupe. I did the same thing again. Pretty much like what you see on my leaf. Drove that car that way for 11 years until I started driving my leaf. After a continuous period of 26 years of driving with a plate bent up like that, and getting my share of moving violations with no mention of the plate, I guess I will just take my chances and live dangerously. ( I also ride motorcycles) :cool:

Lasareath said:
When you have to parallel park!
LasareathLeaf41.jpg

Hah, that's pretty intense. Just don't use it when you have to parallel park around grumpy parking enforcement officers or you'll probably get a ticket for no rear plate :)

Back