Charge port door license plate experiment

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEG

I am trying something out:
sample1.jpg

Made an acrylic cover to replace the regular charge port door.
Mounted the license plate underneath.

More pictures!

You can also paint the inside of the lid to match the car, leaving a "window" for the license plate.

I love it, touché! More info please!

Is having the plate under the acrylic within code?

I should add that it reminds me of my old Mercury where the gas cap was under the fold down rear plate.

Spies said:
I love it too.. but, no..
See CVC 5201:
(2) The installation of a license plate security cover is not a violation of this subdivision if the device does not obstruct or impair the recognition of the license plate information, including, but not limited to, the issuing state, license plate number, and registration tabs, and the cover is limited to the area directly over the top of the registration tabs. No portion of a license plate security cover shall rest over the license plate number.

A casing, shield, frame, border, product, or other device that obstructs or impairs the reading or recognition of a license plate by an electronic device operated by state or local law enforcement, an electronic device operated in connection with a toll road, high-occupancy toll lane, toll bridge, or other toll facility, or a remote emission sensing device, as specified in Sections 44081 and 44081.6 of the Health and Safety Code, shall not be installed on, or affixed to, a vehicle.
Otherwise, we'd all have nice covers over our license plates that make them invisible to photo-ticket cameras.

GroundLoop said:
Spies said:
I love it too.. but, no..
See CVC 5201:
(2) The installation of a license plate security cover is not a violation of this subdivision if the device does not obstruct or impair the recognition of the license plate information, including, but not limited to, the issuing state, license plate number, and registration tabs, and the cover is limited to the area directly over the top of the registration tabs. No portion of a license plate security cover shall rest over the license plate number.

A casing, shield, frame, border, product, or other device that obstructs or impairs the reading or recognition of a license plate by an electronic device operated by state or local law enforcement, an electronic device operated in connection with a toll road, high-occupancy toll lane, toll bridge, or other toll facility, or a remote emission sensing device, as specified in Sections 44081 and 44081.6 of the Health and Safety Code, shall not be installed on, or affixed to, a vehicle.
Otherwise, we'd all have nice covers over our license plates that make them invisible to photo-ticket cameras.

Yup, it's illegal in California. Last year, my wife was driving to church in our 2001 Echo (I had installed a clear plastic cover over the rear plate because someone had previously stolen the little registration decal), and the police issued her a ticket. Actually, I had installed that cover about 8yrs ago--Bought it @ the local Target store. Being a "senior citizen", and no longer the sharpest knife in the drawer, I was not aware that it was illegal. :eek:

This one seems ambiguous and open to interpretation to me. As I read it, it IS legal as long as it does not obscure the plate number...

"No portion of a license plate security cover shall rest over the license plate number."
Seems pretty direct.

Not to mention any cover will likely interfere with the big-brother cameras, since they use flash and expect the plate to be retro-reflective.

So does: "The installation of a license plate security cover is not a violation of this subdivision if the device does not obstruct or impair the recognition of the license plate information."

GroundLoop said:
"No portion of a license plate security cover shall rest over the license plate number."

Seems pretty direct.

GroundLoop said:
Seems pretty direct.

But we are not talking about a security cover. We have an aerodynamic cover. It has exposed fasteners from what I can tell, so it is not secure, but it is more aerodynamic than the original location, and probably more aerodynamic than the original cover with the big Nissan logo.

Well, I referred to it as an 'experiment' because:

#1: I wasn't sure if people would like the 'style'. (Seems that question is answered with a YES)
#2: I wasn't sure if law enforcement would object. (Sounds like I may be tempting fate with this mod.)

Local auto parts places have license plate frames with plastic covers offered for sale with no disclaimers.
The one I made ended up darker than I expected. In bright daylight it seems maybe OK, but at night it becomes really hard to read the plate.

Since front plates are not lighted, that may not be a consideration anyway...

TEG said:
The one I made ended up darker than I expected. In bright daylight it seems maybe OK, but at night it becomes really hard to read the plate.

GroundLoop said:
Not to mention any cover will likely interfere with the big-brother cameras, since they use flash and expect the plate to be retro-reflective.

But a little strategically placed mud works wonders ;)

Assuming the height and angle of this placement is legal in CA, and other states that require front plates, Nissan should have made a charge door with a plate mount recess for the US market. The aero advantage is probably negligible, but it would look much better, IMO.

The aftermarket producer who makes these out of plastic/fiberglass, even if only in one color (black?) will sell me one.

I don't plan on mounting my front plate for a while, just in case this product shows up.

Back