Cost of Warranty

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rickbecker said:
Well, joining this discussion group has really paid off for me. I have been eagerly soaking up the technical and operational information that flows on these pages since my LEAF arrived on April 20th. Yesterday, I came upon this thread and it should now pay off financially. I took the advice to read my extended warranty contract and surprise, surprise, it did not cover the things I was told it would.

First, the only mention of LEAF was on the line describing the vehicle covered, which the finance manager typed on the form. Reading further, the contract provided great detail on the coverage for the Gasoline, Turbocharged, Supercharged, Rotary, Diesel, and/or Enhanced ENGINES; the TRANSMISSION (Automatic and Standard); and the 4x4 TRANSFER CASE. Later in the discussion of roadside assistance they stated that if I had a flat tire, their assistance would include removing the flat and replacing it with MY SPARE. It was nice to learn that IF MY CAR NEEDED FUEL, OIL, FLUID OR WATER, they would deliver it. This must be the reason for the $2,700 cost of the contract: fuel delivery.

The sales pitch statements included: “Nissan wants you to have this coverage and that’s why it is half the normal price.” “Five of the six of our other new LEAF owners bought it.” “Since you don’t have a spare tire, the roadside assistance alone is worth it.” “It will pay for itself since it covers all of your battery inspections.” (I later found that the FIRST policy exclusion was Maintenance Services.)

I have no excuses…I bought the pitch and the contract. Fortunately, I am able to cancel within 60 days with a full refund.

So, I call the finance manager today and announce my intent to cancel. After much discussion about how I am making a big mistake, I described my concerns. So, I am told that the LEAF coverage is described in the addendum (which I have never seen). I asked what my next step was. He described the cancellation process and said “they will send you the BALANCE.” I then referenced the contract provision stating FULL REFUND and his response was:”well if that’s what it says…"

Looking now at the cancellation form he filled out, it is missing some information in spite of the form stating: "I understand that all required information must be provided for cancellation." They state that it will take 8-10 weeks for completion of the process. Stay tuned...I will provide updates as things progress.

Rick

Boy! They have you by the Gonads! :roll:

rickbecker said:
Looking now at the cancellation form he filled out, it is missing some information in spite of the form stating: "I understand that all required information must be provided for cancellation." They state that it will take 8-10 weeks for completion of the process. Stay tuned...I will provide updates as things progress.

Rick

Rick,

I would follow up with a formal letter of cancellation, specifically referencing every detail on the contract, and sent certified mail, return receipt and signature. Every phone call, follow up the same way with a "record of conversation"; your notes of what was said.

They are going to drag this on forever, or worse, come up with some timeliness reason why you're only getting part / none of your money back.

Document, document. No "he said, she said".

Tony

downeykp said:
13. LEAF Gold Preferred 84 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $1,084.00
14. LEAF Gold Preferred 96 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $1,134.00

I did buy the 84/100k option, but at a premium over the price you quote. I know these warranties, LoJacks, etc, are huge profit makers for dealers, but felt that since it was a Nissan warranty, and transferable, that it would significantly help the resale of my car later. I should have ground them down a bit on price, for sure.

I probably would have paid a few bucks more for the 96/100k to match the battery warranty, but that wasn't offered / mentioned.

Honestly, I wanted to lease, but my spouse thought otherwise. I thought we'd turn this car in at 3-ish years, and get the cool new electric car in 3 years that would have a 200 mile range.

With a new concept / technology car, the warranty wan't all the expensive, considering the potential expensive, dealer only, repairs made under warranty for the duration of my ownership.

I would never buy a dealer or "aftermarket" warranty. Period. I did buy a used BMW once, and would not have bought that car without the 100,000 miles transferable BMW warranty that it had. Worked great, cuz the car was in the shop A LOT !!!! Never cost me anything. I sold it as soon as it hit 100,000 miles :)

TonyWilliams said:
rickbecker said:
Rick
Rick,

I would follow up with a formal letter of cancellation, specifically referencing every detail on the contract, and sent certified mail, return receipt and signature. Every phone call, follow up the same way with a "record of conversation"; your notes of what was said.

They are going to drag this on forever, or worse, come up with some timeliness reason why you're only getting part / none of your money back.

Tony

Thank you, Tony, that's great advice.

TonyWilliams said:
rickbecker said:

Rick

Rick,

Tony

I started the day with a call to the Dealership General Manager. He promptly returned my call and vowed to get my refund expedited (with no fees deducted). When I returned home later, the head finance manager had left a message saying that she had forwarded my cancellation request to corporate and that I could expect my full refund within a week or so. She also stated that she would keep me informed of progress on the cancellation and that I should call if I had questions.

I am very pleased with this positive response.

Rick

linkim said:
I called Nissan CS to ask about the Extended Warranty I mentioned earlier in this thread. [...] There are dealer specific plans, and I may have been pitched one of those.
There may indeed be dealer-specific extended warranties, so just to be clear, the ones I'll be talking about are offered by Nissan and are called "Security+Plus", offered in "Silver Preferred" and "Gold Preferred" flavors, and "Maintenance+Plus".

SteveInSeattle said:
There is so much mis-information being given out-- go to Nissan's extended warranty website,
Note that if you Google for "nissan extended warranty" you'd get nissanextendedwarranty.com, which says, on every page, "This website... is not affiliated, endorsed, or sponsored by Nissan North America." Google for ""nissan extended services".

linkim said:
With regard to the Extended Warranty, the finance manager said it was only available when the LEAF is purchased.
I was told the same thing.

SteveInSeattle said:
the warranty is NOT only available at delivery-- but the dealer only makes their profit if you buy from them, so they lie.
I do not see anything about this, one or another, neither on http://www.nissanusa.com/owning/service-plans.html nor in the FAQs list at http://www.nissanusa.com/owning/faqs/extended-service-plans.html.

SteveInSeattle said:
Second, there is no refund from Nissan, some dealers offer this on their own, but good luck with that. A friend was talked into it with that pitch by a Toyota dealer in Kirkland and they were out of business less than 6 months later.
Why is there "no refund from Nissan"? The extended warranties are offered by Nissan itself. I signed up for the "Security-Plus" plan, "Gold Preferred". The finance guy assured me that I can get a refund at any time; the refund amount will be pro-rated. Also, I can get a full refund within the first 60 days. (I recorded the conversation, just in case.)

I will look for the definitive answer in my warranty contract when I receive it.

SteveInSeattle said:
Nissan has a good reputation for honoring their extended warranty without b.s.-- but they are expensive-- just remember the price is negotiable!
They are definitely negotiable!

LakeLeaf said:
Is there a list of what exactly is covered by the extended warranty that is not covered by the included warranty?
DarkDave already posted the list of non-covered items so I'll just list some of the items covered by the Security-Plus plan, from the brochure (which by the way, is titled "Nissan LEAF Service Plans" and is an official Nissan publication, copyrighted by Nissan):

"Powertrain:
Primary components including Electric Motor, Inverter, Reducer." with a footnote saying the battery is not covered.

"Electrical:
Primary electrical components, including wiring harness repairs."

Plus steering, suspension, brakes (including ABS), etc.

rickbecker said:
TonyWilliams said:
rickbecker said:

Rick
Rick,

Tony
I started the day with a call to the Dealership General Manager. He promptly returned my call and vowed to get my refund expedited (with no fees deducted). When I returned home later, the head finance manager had left a message saying that she had forwarded my cancellation request to corporate and that I could expect my full refund within a week or so. She also stated that she would keep me informed of progress on the cancellation and that I should call if I had questions.

I am very pleased with this positive response.

Rick
I just received a full refund for the extended warranty that I bought. Management at Mossy Nissan, El Cajon, responded with excellent customer service.
Rick

I just took delivery of my new LEAF and struggled whether to buy a warranty or not. I am excited to say that my insurance company GEICO already has approved rates for thier MBI (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance) coverage. I originally thought they'd wait to offer this coverage because the LEAF is such new technology but I was pleasantly surprised.

It is good for 7 yrs/ 100,000 miles and only cost me $31 every six months. I can handle the $250 deductible as I am only concerned with major breakdowns that won't be covered by the Nissan warranty. Glass also only has a $50 deductible.

I love this coverage!

One of the main reasons I want an all-electric car is because it will be much more reliable than a complex gas guzzler. So I'm skeptical about the value of a warranty. Nevertheless I'll probably kick in another three or four hundred for whatever it will get me, as insurance against a lemon, if nothing else. After all that's only one percent of the purchase price. Thank you for this thread, I'm so glad I have the opportunity to think this through before sitting down at the dealee's desk and writing out the check.

Though we did originally purchase an extended warranty, we ended up getting a full refund a week later once we learned that the Nissan warranty can be bought anytime in the first 3 years of ownership. That should give us plenty of time to check around and learn all the details as well as get a feel for the reliability of the Leaf. So far my biggest concern would be a failure of the console stereo/computer, a part which would likely cost around $1K to replace; though I wouldn't doubt that the basic functions of the car would operate without this unit (charge, drive, regen, etc.), I would think it a bit of a loss if the Leaf-specific functionality went away. Then again, a year from now I'll probably be reading about someone on this forum figuring out how to use their iPhone 5 as the head unit with even greater functionality than what we have now...

Someone posted elsewhere that the list price for the navigator/stereo/head unit is about $2.5k, and can be had online for just under $1,900. Frankly, this is one of the main units I'd be worried about -- if nothing else, the software may become confused when various sensors and signals change with wear and aging. Sadly, with only an 8 year warranty lifetime, that's about the time where I'd start really worrying (I drive maybe 5-6,000 miles a year) so it might still not be worth it.

You can get a phone with navigation, works quite well.. and there will soon be units that plug into the CAN bus and give you up to date SOC and range estimations.. I would have preferred a few more kwh in place of that stupid Clarion radio. Who would take 3 kwh in place of the radio?

My fear is that the computer of the "stupid radio" is also what drives the general telematics and dash display of the vehicle.
True or false or in-between?

I questioned "Chat" concerning the coverage of the extended warrantee. The 1st time he said he would get back to me in 48 hours - that didn't happen. The second time she said she had no clue and I would have to contact the dealership. I questioned why Nissan would not at least be able to tell me what is covered in their warrantee, but she could give no answer.

As you may have noticed in other threads Nissan Santa Rosa’s Security Pus Gold Preferred plan cost ½ as much as Mossy Nissan. Mossy Nissan said this is impossible as their costs are higher than Santa Rosa’s quote.

I have been trying to drill down into this – looks like I have to go to the dealership to get a copy and fax it to the other dealership to see if they are on the same page coverage wise! Both claim to be “official” Nissan warrantees.

Does anyone have a copy of the "offcial" warrantee?

O.K. Here is the "Official" Nissan Leaf Service+Plus "Gold Preferred" Extended Warrantee Plan; http://nissansantarosaservicecontracts.com/images/pdfs/2011-Nissan-Factory-Warranty.pdf

Here is the break down for the different plan levels: http://nissansantarosaservicecontracts.com/leaf-coverage/gold-preferred/

I chose the most expensive one (page 2): LEAF Gold Preferred 96 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage ($1,106.00)

Here is my quote from Nissan Santa Rosa - it took 2 minutes to receive it by email. Note that the warrantee is Nissan's and as such can be used at ANY authorized Nissan Service center. In fact there is a phone number in the brochure to call if the dealership refuses to recognize it.:

If this is your first quote from us please retain the login information below. You can use this login to purchase the plans, as well as view pricing.

Here is the pricing for the Security+Plus plans you were looking at. All pricing included in this email assumes the vehicle has less than 12,000 miles and includes a $50 deductible. To receive pricing for a $0 deductible plan please log into the site using the user name and password provided. Also, all plans qualify for Nissan's 0% APR payment plan. It's simple, put 10% down and Nissan will bill the remaining balence over 17 months, interest free.

You can also login to Store Access for more information and to purchase the plan. Once we receive your order we will send you the applicable paperwork.

Or purchase over the phone by calling: 800-558-6403

For Security+Plus plans there is an additional fee of $75 for vehicles that have more then 12,000 miles.

For QualityGuard+Plus plans the mileage is determined differently. You'll want to login into the site to find the pricing for these plans.
Quote:

LEAF Gold Preferred 36 Month 45,000 Mile Coverage: $280.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 39 Month 49,000 Mile Coverage: $295.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 42 Month 53,000 Mile Coverage: $325.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 48 Month 48,000 Mile Coverage: $328.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 36 Month 60,000 Mile Coverage: $359.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 48 Month 60,000 Mile Coverage: $534.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 60 Month 60,000 Mile Coverage: $557.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 60 Month 75,000 Mile Coverage: $576.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 72 Month 75,000 Mile Coverage: $693.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 60 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $736.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 84 Month 70,000 Mile Coverage: $803.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 72 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $810.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 84 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $1,057.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 96 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $1,106.00

Here is what you DON"T get with the "extended warrantee:

NISSAN EXTENDED SERVICES NORTH AMERICA, GP
Note: The Nissan Altima Hybrid is covered by this agreement. Section 8, What Is Not Covered, 8.1 refers to 100% Electric Vehicles (EV), not Hybrids. The Hybrid Battery is covered by the manufacturer's new vehicle limited warranty for up to 8 years/100,000 miles (basic) or 10 years/150,000 miles (California*) from the original in-service date, whichever occurs first. The Hybrid System is covered by the manufacturer's new vehicle limited warranty for up to 8 years/100,000 miles (basic) or 15 years/150,000 miles (California*) from the original in-service date, whichever occurs first.
* California-certified vehicles sold for registration in various states. Please refer to the Warranty Information Booklet for complete details.
Not covered:
WHAT IS NOT COVERED BY MY SERVICE AGREEMENT?

8.1 Nissan Electric Vehicle lithium-ion battery (your 8-year/100,000-mile Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) factory battery warranty still applies. See the Warranty Information Booklet for complete details, terms and conditions).

8.2 Paint, exhaust system, carpet, glass, upholstery, soft trim, weatherstripping, convertible soft top fabric and liner, moldings, bright metal, clutch disc, pressure plate and throw out bearing (manual transmission), air bags and any related sensors and modules, conversion of the air conditioning system to operate on R134, battery, lenses and bulbs, tires, brake drums, disc brake rotors, wheels, MacPherson strut inserts, shock absorbers, squeaks, rattles, water leaks, wind noise, immobilizer key and remote keyless entry switch assembly.

8.3 Maintenance service expenses specified in your Owner’s Manual such as: engine tune-up, wheel balance and alignment, spark plug and wire replacement/adjustment, timing belt replacement, fluid and lubricant replacement/replenishment, wiper blade replacement, headlight aiming, filter replacement, and brake pad and shoe replacement.

8.4 Any repairs relating to loss of performance caused by normal wear and tear unless an actual MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN occurs.

8.5 Any failures due to damage resulting from: accident, fire, theft, water damage, freezing, vandalism, explosion, natural disaster, acts of God, physical damage, or any other outside influences.

8.6 Any failures resulting from:
• Lack of normal maintenance as specified in your vehicle Owner’s
Manual
• Overheating of the powertrain
• Use of improper or contaminated fuels, fluids or lubricants
• Failure to maintain proper fluid, coolant or lubricant levels
• Use of inferior, modified, or non-approved parts
• Modification of the vehicle beyond the original factory specifications
• Negligent operation of a vehicle with a failed component(s)
• Pulling a trailer or other vehicle that exceeds Nissan’s recommendations or exceeds the maximum Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of the vehicle

8.7 Any failures due to rust or corrosion regardless of cause.

8.8 Any failures caused by racing or other competition.

8.9 Service adjustments not usually associated with the replacement of parts.

8.10 Any incidental or consequential damages such as loss of the use of the vehicle, storage charges, inconvenience or commercial loss.

8.11 Any vehicle with an inoperative or altered speedometer and/or odometer so that the actual mileage of the vehicle cannot be determined.

8.12 Any vehicle used for commercial uses (such as taxi, limousine, rental,etc.).

8.13 Any expense that is covered by your New Vehicle Warranties, partswarranties, or other Agreements.

8.14 Any repair or replacement that has not been authorized by NESNA, or in which the information provided to NESNA cannot be verified as accurate or is found to be deceptive.

8.15 This Agreement, and all coverages described herein, does not apply to any vehicle which has ever been:
• the subject of a “salvage” or similar title under any state’s law, or • “totaled” by a licensed insurance company; that is, been the subject of any insurance company’s cash payment of claim in lieu of repairs because of a determination that the cost of repairs exceeded the actual cash value of the vehicle. If this Agreement is written on such a vehicle, the full amount of NESNA’s liability under this Agreement is limited to a refund from NESNA of the amount paid to NESNA for this Agreement.

8.16 Liability for damage to property or injury to or death of any person arising out of the operation, maintenance, or use of the vehicle described in this Agreement, whether or not related to the PARTS COVERED by this Agreement.

8.17 Any vehicle not distributed by Nissan.

8.18 Repairs of covered components which components are still covered by a Nissan warranty even if the particular repair is excluded from coverage by the terms of the warranty.

NESNA’S MAXIMUM LIABILITY UNDER THIS AGREEMENT IS AS FOLLOWS:
TOTAL ACCUMULATIVE CLAIMS DURING THE TERM OF THE AGREEMENT SHALL NOT EXCEED THE PRIVATE PARTY VALUE OF THE VEHICLE AS LISTED BY KELLEY BLUE BOOK® AT THE TIME OF CURRENT CLAIM.

This Agreement provides coverage only with respect to MECHANICAL BREAKDOWNS which occur during the Agreement period in the United States (excluding U.S. Territories).

Here is what they say IS covered - seems to conflict!

All four plans offer extensive component coverage including coverage of electric vehicle powertrain components such as the electric motor, inverter, and reducer.
Battery coverage is not included with any of the available Security+Plus plans and terms because Nissan's 8 year/100,000 mile electric vehicle battery warranty covers the Nissan LEAF Li-Ion battery and its components.

View Sample Security+Plus® Agreement
Compare Nissan Vehicle Coverage

Drive Axle: All internal and external components. Includes front-wheel, rear-wheel, and four-wheel drive vehicles.

Steering: All internal and external components.

Suspension: All internal and external components. Includes bushings and bearings.

Air Conditioning and Heater: All internal and external components.

Brakes : All internal and external components. Includes Anti-Lock Braking System components.

Electrical: All electrical components, including wiring harness repairs.

Body and Interior: All body and Interior components except soft trim items.

Audio: Audio Components including video and navigation display assembly. Satellite radio also included.

Added Component Coverage covers many of the electronics found on luxury or state-of-the-art models and is specifically designed for owners of accessorized newer Nissans and Security+Plus® Gold Preferred provides coverage for an additional 68 audio/video components.

Coverage for 20 high wear components including belts and hoses.

24 hours a day, and 365 days a year Roadside Assistance and Trip Interruption Coverage up to $500

Enhanced towing and rental car reimbursement of up to 5 days and $175

* New Vehicle Contract Eligibility: Up to 36 months or 36,000 miles from the in-service date, whichever comes first. In-Service date is the day the vehicle was first sold new. All Security+Plus® plans we sell on this site start on the in-service date and with 0 miles on the odometer.

electricfuture said:
O.K. Here is the "Official" Nissan Leaf Service+Plus "Gold Preferred" Extended Warrantee Plan; http://nissansantarosaservicecontracts.com/images/pdfs/2011-Nissan-Factory-Warranty.pdf
Isn't that just the regular warranty for Nissan ICE and hybrids? That's the document you get if you click on the 2011 Nissan LEAF Factory Warranty on nissan of Santa Rosa's LEAF Coverage page. I searched for "gold" in that PDF and found none (though there may be images with the word "gold" in it, which a text search would not have found). Plus, the main bullet items lists six emission-related coverage items!

electricfuture said:
Here is the break down for the different plan levels: http://nissansantarosaservicecontracts.com/leaf-coverage/gold-preferred/
[...]
Quote:

LEAF Gold Preferred 36 Month 45,000 Mile Coverage: $280.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 39 Month 49,000 Mile Coverage: $295.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 42 Month 53,000 Mile Coverage: $325.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 48 Month 48,000 Mile Coverage: $328.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 36 Month 60,000 Mile Coverage: $359.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 48 Month 60,000 Mile Coverage: $534.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 60 Month 60,000 Mile Coverage: $557.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 60 Month 75,000 Mile Coverage: $576.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 72 Month 75,000 Mile Coverage: $693.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 60 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $736.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 84 Month 70,000 Mile Coverage: $803.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 72 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $810.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 84 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $1,057.00
LEAF Gold Preferred 96 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $1,106.00
And here are the quotes for $0 deductible (in bold italics), also from Nissan of Santa Rosa:

LEAF Gold Preferred 36 Month 45,000 Mile Coverage: $280.00 $347
LEAF Gold Preferred 39 Month 49,000 Mile Coverage: $295.00 $?
LEAF Gold Preferred 42 Month 53,000 Mile Coverage: $325.00 $404
LEAF Gold Preferred 48 Month 48,000 Mile Coverage: $328.00 $406
LEAF Gold Preferred 36 Month 60,000 Mile Coverage: $359.00 $447
LEAF Gold Preferred 48 Month 60,000 Mile Coverage: $534.00 $668
LEAF Gold Preferred 60 Month 60,000 Mile Coverage: $557.00 $?
LEAF Gold Preferred 60 Month 75,000 Mile Coverage: $576.00 $727
LEAF Gold Preferred 72 Month 75,000 Mile Coverage: $693.00 $859
LEAF Gold Preferred 60 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $736.00 $913
LEAF Gold Preferred 84 Month 70,000 Mile Coverage: $803.00 $937
LEAF Gold Preferred 72 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $810.00 $1022
LEAF Gold Preferred 84 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $1,057.00 $1297
LEAF Gold Preferred 96 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $1,106.00 $1344[/quote]

aqn said:
electricfuture said:

I try not to post of the forums too often as we like to get our business through word of mouth, but the link you are referencing is not for a Security+Plus plan, rather than is the factory warranty that comes with the vehicle. i.e. The 36mo / 36,000 factory coverage.

The sample agreement we have listed on our sites is for the Altima Hybrid as well as the LEAF. We've been trying to get a LEAF specific Agreement for about four months and that was the online sample we were supplied with.

In general with the Security+Plus Gold Preferred plan it's easier to read Section 8 of the sample agreement as it lists exactly what is NOT covered. If it's not within those specific items then it's covered by Nissan. It's called an exclusionairy contract, meaning if it's not listed there, it's covered.

Nissan does have other levels of coverage for the LEAF but I choose not to list them online because it's a bit hard to tell the differences between them and the price doesn't change substantially for highest coverage to lowest.

Jesse Ford
Nissan of Santa Rosa
Http://NissanSantaRosaServiceContracts.com

Thank you for this information. I am planning on getting the 8 yr, 100K mile $50 deduct plan. I plan to keep my leaf for as long as feasible. I feel the pricing is reasonable. I believe the design of the car should be more reliable than a hybrid, but I am concerned about the dealer only repairs that may be required. Things that worry me are the electric power steering, electric A/C compressor, the braking sustem with the super capacitor. Another consideration is that we know the vehicle is programed to shutdown when it detects what it considers a serious fault. This will require at least a tow and it may take some time to repair the vehicle (diagnostics, parts) which would make it nice to have a rental car.

Back