Leafs Over Texas!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adric22 said:
I hate to admit this.. but I'm not sure these EV incentives are really worthwhile. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm very happy that I got the federal credit for my leaf. However, I would have bought the car one way or the other. I suspect most of the early adopters probably would. I suspect Nissan still wouldn't be able to produce enough cars to fill demand even if there were no credits. Sure, many people who bought or are trying to buy may be excluded because of the higher price. But overall, the number produced and sold would remain the same.

The way I see it, we are being rewarded for the fact that there is no charging infrastructure and so we have to deal with more hardships than the EV drivers of the future.
I certainly wouldn't have. $34,000 is WAY too much for the LEAF, enthusiasm or not. Besides, even if you're correct about the early adopters, it certainly wouldn't apply for all of the 200,000 cars the tax credit is approved for. I would expect the early adopters to peter out around the 20,000 or so that have signed up thus far.

I think both are right. While all these credits are nice I think most will agree this first round or so that most of us would have bought without, or the credits were a final pushover. I do see them more of a reward. But, I believe once the magic early adpoters and some stragglers are finished with purchase, those credits will go far into helping sell the vehicle.

Take the hybrid tax credit cycle:

First people didn't really need it, but it was a bonus for being the early adpoters, the next round needed it, then it was more of a perk until the end where many people wanted it just to get the extra money. I am assuming the leaf will go the same route.

Mostly the tax credit is going to be used, for me and my wife, on green home improvements and bills. We are probably going to get a really nice induction range and replace our crappy coil range (go go more electric efficiency!). And the rest will probably finish off the other car payment (having 2 payments its not fun). I might sneak a few LED lightbulbs in there too =)

adric22 said:
The way I see it, we are being rewarded for the fact that there is no charging infrastructure and so we have to deal with more hardships than the EV drivers of the future.

Better yet, think of it as a little pay back from subsidizing the oil industry for so many years.

mouse said:
I just got quoted 35,600 for SL from a dealer in Austin.
SL with mud guards, mats, and cargo net.

Sorry to ask, but is there a running log of what the quotes Austin/TX have been able to get?
Thanks.

I don't know about a log, but I just submitted my order today. Before doing so, I called four other dealers and they all said they were selling it at sticker. Some even offered to sell me a line of bullshit about "Nissan not allowing" them to sell less than sticker. Naturally those dealers aren't getting my business.

So, what dealer are you getting yours through?

According to http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=HB3310 the bill failed to pass engrossment, which I take to mean, is dead. Bummer.

Looks like it was mostly along party lines. Thanks Republicans!

Pipcecil said:
For us Texas people, since I work in goverment (technically) I usually get the latest info on transportation laws coming out of Austin. As it applies to the Leaf, there are two proposed laws to follow that will be quite benefical to us:

HB 3310 - A potential $4,000 rebate on the purchase of a plug-in vehicle (a leaf will get the full amount). This bill is currently on the schedule for House floor for vote.
HB 3308 - Plug in electric vehicles (including the leaf) will get a free single occupancy ride in all HOV lanes in Texas. This bill passed the House and is on its way to the Senate.

As a small note, both of these, if passed, become active September 1, 2011. The HOV use would require acquisiton of a sticker that would be placed on your back windshield to denote your qualification as a SOV user in an HOV lane (easier for enforcement I suppose). As for the credit, it would work as any rebate. Proof of purchase or something like that and the state would send you a check afterwards. The only problem with this one (if it becomes law) is start date of September 1, meaning all vehicle purchases before this date would NOT get the rebate check. This would exclude all the early adpoters in the first round of reservations and deliveries, but could apply to the second round of people; but this could be changed as its filtered through the House and Senate (as well as the rebate amount!).

Hopefully both of these pass! I know I have been jeleous of the California people and thier 5k rebate as well as the Orgeon/Washington people with the no-taxes on thiers. Finally, Texas might get some more incentive!

DrillbabyDrill said:
According to http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=HB3310 the bill failed to pass engrossment, which I take to mean, is dead. Bummer.

Looks like it was mostly along party lines. Thanks Republicans!

Well... I think I'm actually okay with this not passing. I'd rather they spent the 2.5mm on education or health care. Now, if we ever get to the point where there are Orphans sitting on the lots unsold -- I'll sing a different tune.

j.

jhm614 said:
I'd rather they spent the 2.5mm on education or health care.

j.

Yeah wouldn't we all. What are the odds that's going to happen? Zero. This was using funds within the Texas Emissions Reduction Plan. I suppose there was an argument against using TERP funds for electric cars over a more beneficial use of the money to save on emissions. I'd be curious if that was the reason the bill went down.

Who knows what was going through their minds. It could have been a little bit of misunderstanding such as the local option bill that failed 2 years was a tax (hint it wasn't), but most reps though it was and the bill was shot down cold. So it is plausible that many believed the 2.5 million was coming from the general pool instead of already dedicated TERP funds (i.e. the funds could never be used for education or health care).

But then again, it could have been a biased towards EVs in general. I still have some people at my work that think EVs are worse for the economy worst for the environment, and worst for just about everything, even when I explain it all. *sigh*

So who really knows. It got shot down pretty bad (like 90 to 50) so it wasn't even a fair fight, haha. The HOV bill is still alive though.

To answer DrillbabyDrill (heheh), I am getting my Leaf through Don Davis in Arlington and have be extremely happy with their service so far. Constant contact, quick responses, all my questions completely answered, and they even throw small dinner parties for their new car buyers (there was one last night). In fact, I have been so happy, I have really abandoned my search for an Orphan and am just going to ride the wave of waiting until my order gets delieverd I have been so happy with these guys.

I got tired of waiting for the car I ordered (latest update will be delivered in Aug.) So I drove up to Dallas and bought the red orphan at McKinney Nissan yesterday. The shipping co. picked it up the same day and it will be delivered today in San Antonio! I'm thrilled with the car! San Antonio will have several LEAFs driving around now. Ancira Nissan is supposed to deliver their first today. (Jlaw is that you?)

Saw that Leaf on the showroom floor (with somebody's name on it?) last week when I went by the dealer to "meet" my salesman (assigned by Nissan).

ecoobsessive said:
I got tired of waiting for the car I ordered (latest update will be delivered in Aug.) So I drove up to Dallas and bought the red orphan at McKinney Nissan yesterday. The shipping co. picked it up the same day and it will be delivered today in San Antonio! I'm thrilled with the car! San Antonio will have several LEAFs driving around now. Ancira Nissan is supposed to deliver their first today. (Jlaw is that you?)

Yes! I got the call yesterday and did the paperwork last night. It was too late to get my wife to come and get my other car so I left it with the dealer. Ill get it after work or in the morning.. Ill post more later when I get a chance. Very lucky to have the first one in town or at all for that matter (as I know some earlier orders are still waiting). by the way I sent an update to the spreadsheet...

Nope, the numbers are getting bigger in Texas! I live in Stephenville & orderd my Leaf thru the Weatherford dealership. Working on the lease/purchase agreement at this time. Expecting delivery in 3-4 months.

So excited :D

Slim in Texas

Picked up my new blue Leaf last Wednesday, 5/11 from Town North Nissan in Austin, TX.

I had originally decided not to get it after getting bitter with AeroVironment due to their recent price hike for the "cash and carry" EVSE, so Town North *almost* ended up with an orphan. I changed my mind at last moment, and bought the car anyway. I'm glad I did!

I am getting by just fine with the 110V charger. I called several Schneider dealers in Austin, and found the Schneider EV2430WS at Dealer's electric for $800 plus tax, and ordered it this Monday. It will be in later this week or early next week (decided not to pay the expedite fee, and let it come in with their regular shipments).

Still learning all of the features the car has to offer. So far, it looks like I can get about 70 to 75 miles off of a charge while using climate control, which appears consistent with other posts I have seen. The Texas summer will be the real test though. I don't plan on driving around with the windows down, and the AC off.

This is a fun car!

mbutter said:
I am getting by just fine with the 110V charger. I called several Schneider dealers in Austin, and found the Schneider EV2430WS at Dealer's electric for $800 plus tax, and ordered it this Monday. It will be in later this week or early next week (decided not to pay the expedite fee, and let it come in with their regular shipments).

Still learning all of the features the car has to offer. So far, it looks like I can get about 70 to 75 miles off of a charge while using climate control, which appears consistent with other posts I have seen. The Texas summer will be the real test though. I don't plan on driving around with the windows down, and the AC off.

Is that the indoor unit? Any chance you priced the outdoor one?

Do post some updates on your mileage with AC. This Texas heat is brutal.

mbutter said:
Picked up my new blue Leaf last Wednesday, 5/11 from Town North Nissan in Austin, TX.
Congrats! That's where I got mine too.

mbutter said:
I had originally decided not to get it after getting bitter with AeroVironment due to their recent price hike for the "cash and carry" EVSE, so Town North *almost* ended up with an orphan. I changed my mind at last moment, and bought the car anyway. I'm glad I did!

I am getting by just fine with the 110V charger.
Same here. I did send my OEM EVSE in to evseupgrade.com to upgrade it so I use it on 240V also. 240V charging with an upgraded OEM EVSE was going to be my long-term charging approach, but that was before I found about Austin Energy's EVSE rebate (see below).

mbutter said:
I called several Schneider dealers in Austin, and found the Schneider EV2430WS at Dealer's electric for $800 plus tax, and ordered it this Monday. It will be in later this week or early next week (decided not to pay the expedite fee, and let it come in with their regular shipments).

Still learning all of the features the car has to offer. So far, it looks like I can get about 70 to 75 miles off of a charge while using climate control, which appears consistent with other posts I have seen.
I'm getting about the same w/o AC use. My commute includes several big uphill/downhills though.

Are you an Austin Energy/City of Austin Utilities customer? If yes, do you know about Austin Energy's EVSE rebate: $1500 or 50% of station + installation cost, whichever is less?

San Antonio's utility, CPS Energy, is also still offering a $1000 rebate on EVSE installation - I think 40 more rebates still available.

and aqu, what I'm really obsessive about is mynissanleaf.com! :)

DrillbabyDrill said:
mbutter said:

Is that the indoor unit? Any chance you priced the outdoor one?

Do post some updates on your mileage with AC. This Texas heat is brutal.

Yes, that is the indoor unit. Did not price the outdoor model. I did find a link for the outdoor model at: http://www.munroelectric.com/silvereclipse/index.jsp?path=product&part=1769816& that shows a price of $1125. The same company lists the model I bought for $750 (plus shipping) at http://www.munroelectric.com/silvereclipse/index.jsp?path=product&part=1769814. For me, the price would be partially offset by the shipping charges. Suppose I could have saved a few bucks by avoiding tax, but there is something to be said about buying from a local dealer, just in case of issues.

We got some coverage here in San Antonio!!

http://www.ksat.com/automotive/27957282/detail.html

http://www.kens5.com/news/Nissan-Leaf-keeps-green-in-SA--122370234.html

...there may be some pics in the drive section on Monday in the paper.

I believe as of today we have 3 leafs in San Antonio!

ecoobsessive, I received delivery from Nissan McKinney about 1 month ago. It is interesting that you bought the red orphan and guess you dealt with Jonathon Clayton. I spent about 1 hour on a phone call with the gentleman who had reserved the car after an email from Jonathon. He had reservations about range, using A/C, etc. I explained to him that I have had our Leaf for about 3 weeks and have not run out of range, only use the standard plug (came with the car) until my charger gets delivered, and have been greatly happy with this purchase. Went through the economics of the car, cost per mile vs. my current car, battery life, etc.

In a way I feel bad for this guy as he paid the $2,200 for the AV charger install and then got cold feet. I thought he was going to go through with the purchase, but I guess even a non-biased review was not enough to change his mind.

I seriously thought about buying that one, as my wife and I don't have long commutes, but I showed her the Tesla Model S (extended range) and am waiting for her to give the go/no go on a deposit for delivery in 2013.

I had a question for you, did you have the windows tinted? I know that Nissan McKinney does not have the template for the arch windows yet and wanted to know what you thought of the window tint job. They are running a $199 special and I would like my windows tinted, but was not too sure about hand cut vs. template for those windows.

Back