July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kmp647 said:
Perhaps it's the japan sourced transmission?
They sent 300 demo cars. So, they seem to be making some 700 cars a month every month.

They should be ramping it up for nationwide rollout ...

ENIAC said:
Aren't they reporting EU and UK sales?
Are there any?

This says Canada is next for the Volt in 3rd quarter 2011.

According to this, the Ampera is still in 'show and tell' traveling road-show mode in the UK.

edit...never mind...you're probably asking about Leaf sales...

TRONZ said:
navidad said:
I am surprized by the low level of Leaf in february...

Feb will be the "trough" in Leaf deliveries. Fits perfectly with the manufacture dates being shifted to the Japanese domestic market I thinks. March/April will be huge for LEAF deliveries according to dealers.

If the Volt can't make a splash right out of the gate it may be doomed sooner than I thought. I noticed GM removed all the LEAF bashing in there last round of ads. Probably would love to converts some sales from waiting LEAF buyers to those unsold Volts.
Not too many months ago I recall how GM's head was proclaiming how he "wouldn't be caught dead" in the Prius, because in his opinion, it's a "Geek-mobile". You'd think the head of a bankrupt company would realize that much of the reason the competition is more sucessful than you, is because the sucessful business is doing business differently than you are. That difference includes BASHING, or should I say, the lack thereof.

evnow said:
LOL. Another Volt/GM fan post. GM was absolutely hammered by everyone when Volt prices was announced. Nothing has changed since then.
Nothing changed except for the fact that having the dollar go from 97 yen when pricing was announced to 82 yen when the dealers are invoiced means that Nissan is making $5000 less on every Leaf it delivers, This is what caused Nissan's COO, Toshiyuki Shiga, to say that the yen/dollar exchange rate had created a "crisis" for Nissan.

As for GM being "hammered" on price, the only problems GM has with the Volt is how to make more of them and how to discourage dealers from selling them above MSRP. Those aren't problems you have if you've priced a vehicle too richly. Given that there are waiting lists and that cars are going out the door above MSRP, all that "hammering" you thought you heard was just the sound of empty barrels.

Rather than GM over-pricing the Volt it would seem that Nissan under-priced the Leaf. Because it set a low price it had to create a customer allocation model which it had never used before. That hasn't worked out too well, as can be seen by the fact that the most active threads these days relate to class action solicitations and the outrageous price of "orphan" Leafs. Nissan would have been better off with a higher price.

Sales of the Nissan LEAF 100-percent electric vehicle reached 1,142 units in May, for a total of 2,167 deliveries this year.

If the spreadsheet is to be believed, 62% of those cars went to California. Can someone tracking the CVRP figure out what the "lag" is in potential claimed rebates? It's pretty important to those of us still waiting for delivery.

I did the easy math. 62% of 1,142 is 708.04.

Holy C**p!!! I thought I heard a loud thud this morning. Must have been GM's jaw hitting the floor.

I've been seeing a bunch of them around town recently. Everyone who I tell I'm getting one (come on Fontana - this week?) is impressed, interested and wants to see it.

I think this thing is going to take off like ballbusters. (at least in CA)

Volt seems to have declined the last two months :p Is production slowing? Or is this closer to production reality compared to the initial surge?

smkettner said:
Volt seems to have declined the last two months :p Is production slowing? Or is this closer to production reality compared to the initial surge?
GM is providing dealers with demos, reducing customer deliveries. It will happen with LEAF at some point also.

BlueSL said:
If the spreadsheet is to be believed, 62% of those cars went to California. Can someone tracking the CVRP figure out what the "lag" is in potential claimed rebates? It's pretty important to those of us still waiting for delivery.
It's hard to say what percentage of cars will be delivered in CA but 50% - 60% wouldn't be a bad guess. It's harder to know the lag time. I know somebody who got his Leaf several weeks ago and just applied yesterday, and the guy heading up the rebate program said there is a surprising number of people who get busy and forget about it. But the vast majority apply more or less immediately.

To some extent there isn't so much of a date as there is a deliver schedule. If Nissan delivers 2000 cars during the first two weeks of June then that will eat up the remaining rebates. In this regard, the guys running the rebate program seem to think that the first three weeks of June are more or less a lock, and they work closely with Nissan so you have to think their guesses are pretty good. I'd guess the last week of June is also looking good. After that things no doubt will get very dicey. Sorry to say that given the delivery run rate that cars purchased after first week in July will probably have to go on the waiting list for next year's rebate. But that's a guess and might very well be wrong.

People getting their cars in June should be thankful that the Center for Sustainable Energy along with others successfully fought to get the 2009-2010 funding carried over to 2010 - 2011. I think that was $3M, which is what we're working on at the moment.

SanDust said:
BlueSL said:
It's hard to say what percentage of cars will be delivered in CA but 50% - 60% wouldn't be a bad guess.

62% is a very good guess !

We know the orders break this way ...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4008

CA : 3,000
WA : 750
OR : 375
AZ : ?
TX : ?
HI : ?

Assume a total of 4,500 to 4,750. That gives CA 63% to 66%.

smkettner said:
Production started to slow in April. The plant shuts down in June for four weeks for retooling designed to increase production. The new machinery combined with a second shift should significantly increase production by the beginning of 2012. Also of some help is that the Volt shares the line with two other vehicles which are being phased out. Production capacity will however be limited by the fact that at some point the new Malibu will also be assembled at Hamtramck and some Volts will be made as Opel Amperas for export.

Before the slowdown the line was producing a maximum of about 325 Volts a week. The new equipment should double that, and the second shift should double that again. If all goes well they might be able to produce 45,000 Volts a year. No idea if they will actually make that many.

They are going to need much more capacity if there is any hope of meeting initial demand for a nationwide rollout, which starts in September. Demand for the Volt is stronger than demand was for the Camaro, and that's before you factor in the production capacity which will be diverted to assembling Amperas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back