What should we build next?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafFanatic

I'm from Xatori, the maker of the PlugShare app. I wanted to get some input from the forum about what we should build for our next offering!

In short -- what annoys you most about your Nissan LEAF? What do you think could be done to fix it? This doesn't have to be limited to software. So far we have heard a lot of complaints about plugs, adaptors, and home charging docks so we may do something along those lines. There has also been a lot of feedback regarding Carwings and the Nissan app so that is another possibility.

So please fire away!

Does turbo2ltr need any help with this? :
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2738
(Both get rid of the "Click OK to proceed" nag, and a way to see actual SOC)

Being able to enter nav addresses while in motion would be great.
(Of course so the passenger can do it while you drive.)

How about a way to upload your charge locations directly from the car maps to Plugshare?
(The car can be set to auto learn every place you charge.)

If you are really ambitious how about making the car NAV show which charge spots are in use, and have the Chargepoint hourly rates (for the non-free chargers) show up in the info on each one? [ In other words tighter integration between Chargepoint, Plugshare and the Carwings maps. ]

Probably beyond what you plan to do, but finding a way to get a 6.6kW charger to replace the 3.3kW.

And figure out how to get the various entities moving on L3 CHAdeMO stations in California!

Just some ideas, many of which are probably beyond what you willing, able or interested in doing...

ECU remapping offering different modes for the various driver preferences/environments, i.e. Throttle pedal controlled regen (a la Tesla), freewheel mode (coasting).

Sport mode that will give more agressive throttle response/regen mapping.

LeafFanatic said:
I'm from Xatori, the maker of the PlugShare app.
Since I've a Windows Phone, I'd say either make the app for WP7 or a simple html website I can browse from a smart phone.

LeafFanatic said:
I'm from Xatori, the maker of the PlugShare app. I wanted to get some input from the forum about what we should build for our next offering!

In short -- what annoys you most about your Nissan LEAF? What do you think could be done to fix it? This doesn't have to be limited to software. So far we have heard a lot of complaints about plugs, adaptors, and home charging docks so we may do something along those lines. There has also been a lot of feedback regarding Carwings and the Nissan app so that is another possibility.

So please fire away!
Android, Android, Android! (Please!) :D

LeafFanatic said:
In no particular order:

• Ability to choose a default screen in the Leaf (I particularly like the energy usage screen)
  • Ability to set eco mode as the default drive mode
  • Ability to reprogram eco mode (maybe leave throttle alone but keep aggressive regen)
  • More elegant solution for charge door (why am I popping it open like a hood, and then opening a second door as well? there's got to be a better way for something I am doing every day)
  • Give option to turn on rearview camera whenever desired (yes, I have played with the work-around for this, but the system resets when you exit that mode)

I'm sure you'll get many more - heck, I'll probably have many more. These are just a few off the top of my head.

I'd like to see the car lose 1000lbs, I'd like to see a 10kW onboard charger, and range increased to 200 miles (step 1 will get you most of the way there). I'd like to see the regen put out at least 60kW, and have 150kW power availaility.

Seriously though I'd like to see the energy screen provide more usefull data. The current one is very pretty but does not really say much. Kind of like the splash screen we get to watch over and over when logging onto the dashboard.

Data regarding a real SOC, power consumption in +/- kW and not just a graph, Voltmeter, Ammeter, Temperature.
and pretty much everything else that has already been posted here.

Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys! First of all, regarding the PlugShare app on other platforms -- we have people working on it, I promise! It would be counterproductive to throw more manpower at it so we are looking at other opportunities in the meantime.

It's remarkable how similar our internal LEAF complaints are to the ones here. I believe popping the charge port hood is a NHTSA requirement rather than a conscious move on Nissan's part. I'll look into it. It's definitely annoying. We may release dash software improvements in the future. Your suggestions are on the money. Although the screens that are there for legal reasons are probably out of the question (what, you don't enjoy hitting the same OK button five times a day? :p).

I hear you on more data. What else would you like to see besides better SOC info, temp, v/a? Can you be more specific about what you'd like to see regarding data presentation and analytics? This doesn't have to be limited to the dash, it could also be on your phone or web browser.

What about hardware? Any need for other types of plugs? I personally would like a 14-50 to J1772, but I might be the only one. We could also potentially build a residential CHAdeMO quick charger that would pull from your home 240v or even a solar array (would have to go through a battery pack first). Any interest in fast charging at home? What would be the price point that you might consider this?

Thanks again everyone.

A home CHAdeMO would definitely be interesting! As for cost, I'd say competitive with other L2 home chargers would be great.

As for data presentation, I'd like to see range estimates displayed something like this: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=82971#p82971

I don't need a fast charger at home. When the car is at home it can sit all night charging slowly.
Fast chargers would be most useful when trying to go distances.
For example if there was a fast charger in Santa Cruz or Gilroy and one at Laguna Seca I would head to Refuel races, but without I won't bother...

A solution to the charge door would be at the top
I don't really care about security if there was any way to open it from the front of the car
It would be great

Offer some of those accessories that are offered in Japan and UK but not here (so far) like the charge port cover. Create an after market light to put either inside the charge port cover or on the J nozzle so we can see what we are doing at night in our dark driveways.

Ditch the entire Nissan UI, it is clunky, redundant and poorly engineered. Has anyone looked at the Volt UI? I hear it is one of the best out there period. Interfacing with an ipod is almost a joke if you have a decent collection of music!

evnow said:
LeafFanatic said:
I'm from Xatori, the maker of the PlugShare app.
Since I've a Windows Phone, I'd say either make the app for WP7 or a simple html website I can browse from a smart phone.
+1

Now that you've taken care of 27% of the market - and a very good job from what I've read - you might turn your attention to the other 73%. Of course the same could be suggested to Nissan.

http://www.businessinsider.com/android-versus-iphone-smartphone-share-2011-4
smartphone-market-share-march-2011.png

A CHAdeMO charger that falls somewhere between the future 6.6KW charger and the 50KW limit would be great. Something that could fit in your garage and isn't the size of a gas pump. I could see these being more valuable at office and retail locations. This would be great for fleets too.

I don't think it's possible, but I'l LOVE a way to set "MAX REGEN" so that I can control the regen a little better. Ideally, I'd increase the amount of power that regen would recover....the motor takes up to 80kW to move forward, why restrict the regen to only 30kW???

OK, so the charge port door seems to be a major pain. Kataphn -- what is the "charge port cover" that you mention exists in Japan in UK but not here in the USA?

Looks like there are mixed feelings about CHAdeMO charging. TEG -- why the hesitation? I personally would love to be able to fill up from empty to full at lunchtime every day :D Omkar -- I am referring to something like this: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3625 ...but with more flexibility regarding outlet types (like what exists for Tesla owners).

Keep the suggestions coming guys! This is really useful for us.

Building a SAFE isolated high-power charger is no easy task and is very costly. It's easy to build a crude charger to bring the pack to 80% quickly via the L3 port.

Back