Window Tinting

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine are getting tinted right after the meetup tomorrow at Mr.Tint in Escondido, Ca - ironically, my appt is right after another Leaf! They use FormulaOne/Llumar Pinacle tint which I've used on all my cars for probably a decade.

I asked the guy about the front small windows and he said no issue.

I'm still trying to decide whether I want:
  • Light on the front side windows/ Med around the back
  • Med all the way around
  • Med on the front side windows / Dark around the back

gonna look at those who have tinted at the meetup and then decide...

sdbonez said:
Mine are getting tinted right after the meetup tomorrow at Mr.Tint in Escondido, Ca - ironically, my appt is right after another Leaf! They use FormulaOne/Llumar Pinacle tint which I've used on all my cars for probably a decade.

I asked the guy about the front small windows and he said no issue.

I'm still trying to decide whether I want:
  • Light on the front side windows/ Med around the back
  • Med all the way around
  • Med on the front side windows / Dark around the back

gonna look at those who have tinted at the meetup and then decide...

The way my Focus sedan was done was limo in the back window, a slightly lighter shade on the rear door glass, and a slightly lighter shade again on the driver and passenger front doors. This almost makes it look gradated, and fools the rozzers into thinking that I've only had the rears done and the front is factory. At least that's what my deluded mind tells me. ;)

Boomer23 said:
Great shots, Skywagon. The car looks great, and I agree, with the black trim, it makes the windows look even larger.

Great time of day and location for the shots, too. Great lighting on the trees.
+1 -- Beautiful car, pretty color, awesome tint, and great photos.
Makes me wish I ordered glacier pearl instead of blue.

Ready2plugin said:
Anyone looked into or had their windows tinted on the LEAF? Any suggestions? I like the look and also the heat reduction but need to stay on the right side of the law here in CA. Thanks!
A word of caution... with medium tint on the driver and passenger windows, when the sun comes in the front of the car there will be a considerable reflection of the car interior on the tint as you look through it attempting to look at the side rear-view mirrors. So much so that I'm thinking of ways to lay a black carpet or such to cover the light gray dash to help stop or minimize the reflection. You might get used to it after a while and have your mind filter it out but at the get go, it is quite startling. It was so weird that I didn't immediately figure out what the problem was as I was using the mirror to merge on to the freeway coming south yesterday afternoon around 2p. That is the only issue I've had with the tint. Alvin O's did a great job AND drove me to work AND picked me up after the work was completed. I put the dark tint on the back at their recommendation and the medium otherwise all around. For my next car I will likely go light or clear on the passenger windows. Even the clear STILL blocks 98% of the UVA and UVB rays.

Update 5-14-11. My mind is able to adjust to it much better now (getting trained). Also, it's only an issue with the light coming in the front windshield.

Malcolm :geek:

20% SunTek Carbon tint all around. Not quite dark as I thought it would be, but I like it.

Cell phone pic, so not the best quality...
img006q.jpg

Randy said:
Malcolm and I had both our Leafs tinted at Alvin-O's in San Diego on Ronson Road in Kearny Mesa...They did all the windows except the windshield (that's 9 of them total on the Leaf). He uses Solargard products and you have your choice of a few shades. He stocks the HP Charcoal line.

What kind of scratch/bubble waranty does he offer, do you know?

(Randy, the car looks better in person!! :lol: Did you do the teflon coating yourself?)

Hi JimmyD,
Malcolm and I had our teflon put on by Jim Sadler in a "two-fer" deal awhile back....Jim's the man....

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2398

This morning driver window fogged up a bit and I noticed numerous vertical lines going across the tint surface. I was able to clean those lines with my finger for now, but as I feared this most likely will be the same issue where felt is needed or the tint will look like crap after a few years.

Just got back from getting the windows done :cool:
Carbon 18 on back 35 on front 2 and 5 on the wing (useless) windows
thinking that I maybe should have done the 5 on the backs, I'll have to see

window.jpg

Mx5racer said:
Just got back from getting the windows done :cool:
Carbon 18 on back 35 on front 2 and 5 on the wing (useless) windows
thinking that I maybe should have done the 5 on the backs, I'll have to see

I like it. It has that gradated look I was harping on about.

BTW, what is that on your front passenger door...bug or poop?

cdub said:
According to this page:

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

It says:
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.

I presume that's a 30%?

No, that's a 70%. The percentage refers to the amount of light transmitted through the window. "Limo tint" is 5% to 10%, for example.

Just had huper optik and carbon CPX put on my red leaf at Song's tint masters in LA. While this cost about 3 times more than a good tint job, the stuff looks awesome and reduces the heat build up in the car to almost nothing (FYI $99 is a crappy tint job) For the rear and back I put on the Carbon CPX 20. just light enough to keep me out of gangster territory. On the front sides I had the Huper Optik put on-and since it is illegal to have anything on your front windshield they did not put on an invisible film that cuts all the heat that this gigantic window lets in, to almost nothing. I can only "imagine" how much cooler that would make the car sitting out in the sun. Since it is invisible maybe they did put it on or maybe not?? I neither can confirm or deny anything.

I didn't do any tint on my prius after debating for awhile, but given that the AC is the second largest consumer in your leaf, you should get it tinted and with the right kind of tint.

I spent few days looking around at tints and at shops in the LA area and came across these guys--and I could not be more pleased- if you are in or around LA go to these guys and have them tint your leaf-it will change your whole outlook for the better (literally).

If someone wants pix PM me with an email address.

I used these guys to tint my RAV-4 EV. http://www.yelp.com/biz/sunset-glass-tinting-los-angeles

Last time I used Limo on the rear and back, but it was too dark at night. And no tint of any kind is legal on the front windows in CA. Polarized glass is legal, and usually a light tint can be confused with same.

Skywagon said:
I already tinted my windows and the look is great as it blends the windows in with the trim around them. I would suggest doing darker than you normally would as the interior is very light in color (and the windshield is large) and it will not be as dark as you think... as in 18% all around...

5354801748_ced1f52df0_b.jpg

Wow! This is the best looking Leaf I've ever seen!

Those are some great pictures, Skywagon!

qcar said:
On the front sides I had the Huper Optik put on-and since it is illegal to have anything on your front windshield they did not put on an invisible film that cuts all the heat that this gigantic window lets in, to almost nothing. I can only "imagine" how much cooler that would make the car sitting out in the sun. Since it is invisible maybe they did put it on or maybe not?? I neither can confirm or deny anything.

For my ICE car, I put the clear UV film on the windshield. It defnitely helps. If you're not sure if you have it, look closely around the far edges of the windshield for the lip of the film. Another way: It was good quality film and application, but I do notice a very slight distortion. (It's hard to make the film as smooth as glass.) If I look hard, then I can see a bit of a texture effect. Normally, I don't notice it at all though.

I put carbon tinting on my side and back windows. As others have mentinoed, spending more vs. less on your tinting will ensure you do not have problems down the road. Stay away from tinting that is dye based (changes color over time) and metalic based tints (can interfere with radio signals if placed over antennas that are in/on the glass).

Skywagon, great photo of your white Leaf with tinting. That's my future car - complete with its sunglasses on! :cool: Thanks for letting me see what it will look like!

I had a couple of requests for what my tint job looked like afterwards - so here ya go. Not thrilled with the pics (the angle)... in most, it's hard to see the tint...but if you look in this one, you can see the contrast between the windshield and the side windows. This job was done by Mr.Tint in Escondido, CA - it's their top end Llumar FormulaOne Pinnacle Series film w/35% on all windows except the windshield.

I'll take a few more at sunset where it's easier to see things when I get a chance.

More pics here

IMG_0531.JPG

More pics here

Back