Mods for the Blink EVSE ! (was Fix)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whoami said:
davewill said:
So, are you planning to have your rewrite talk to the Blink mothership, or just be a solid, feature laden, standalone EVSE?
Because the Blink firmware is so bad, I figured I would focus on the basics and get the charging, sleep mode and UI working correctly. Then afterwards I'll postback to the blink servers. Its quite simple what they do so I'm not really worried about it. The protocol is pretty bad so I would only communicate charging statistics but ignore the upgrade, timesync, and log upload part of the protocol.
If you want help, I find myself tempted to do Google PowerMeter support (in my copious spare time :roll: ). A quick check shows the API to be free...

turbo2ltr said:
This tidbit is interested though...it would seem to indicate this particular problem is with the PIC board, not the main blink board... [...]
Looks like I might need to get my L1 EVSE modded to have reliable L2 charging.

Something less likely is that the 55-min timeout is somehow in (or caused by) your LEAF.
If you can get to another non-blink L2 charger, that would be a good experiment to run.

davewill said:
whoami said:
davewill said:
So, are you planning to have your rewrite talk to the Blink mothership, or just be a solid, feature laden, standalone EVSE?
Because the Blink firmware is so bad, I figured I would focus on the basics and get the charging, sleep mode and UI working correctly. Then afterwards I'll postback to the blink servers. Its quite simple what they do so I'm not really worried about it. The protocol is pretty bad so I would only communicate charging statistics but ignore the upgrade, timesync, and log upload part of the protocol.
If you want help, I find myself tempted to do Google PowerMeter support (in my copious spare time :roll: ). A quick check shows the API to be free...
Absolutely. Just write it in QT. We should be able to quickly port it in.

One has to wonder if Blink intended to sell ad space to be pushed to the TS which would explain the large screen.

whoami said:
Absolutely. Just write it in QT. We should be able to quickly port it in.
Cool, I'll download the PowerMeter API and start digging. I'll PM when I get to the point where I need more info. Now, if the city inspector will just call to set up an inspection time, so that SDG&E can then install the meter and power my Blink...

EVDRIVER said:
One has to wonder if Blink intended to sell ad space to be pushed to the TS which would explain the large screen.
Scott, a member who seems to have worked with Blink, verified that ads are a feature for the commercial installs, not the residential units. Since the hardware looks to be the same in both applications...we get big screens.

GroundLoop said:
turbo2ltr said:
This tidbit is interested though...it would seem to indicate this particular problem is with the PIC board, not the main blink board... [...]
Looks like I might need to get my L1 EVSE modded to have reliable L2 charging.

Something less likely is that the 55-min timeout is somehow in (or caused by) your LEAF.
If you can get to another non-blink L2 charger, that would be a good experiment to run.

I've been using the Clipper Creek EVSE with zero problems since Feb 4th.

drees said:
Wait - so who's setting up the github repo? :)
Trying to get everything working and packaged....I'm more than happy to check in my QT config and some other items right now.

It would be nice for someone to take the lead and manage the repo.

I've setup a public github repo to use for code collaboration. I'm not sure what files we want to start uploading, but it's ready to go:

First, create a user account on github, then send me a message with your github username. I will add it to the list of collaborators. After this, follow the process in the github help of setting up your account, ssh key, and local git repository. Then you should be all set to make commits to the git repo.

The name of the repo is: Nictating-Fronds

I picked this name to avoid any potential trademark issues. Also, keep in mind that no proprietary code, or code that is not created under an open source license should be posted to the repo.

Dave

Very early version of "Wink".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ1_1TpDWsg

Completely interrupt based and is a native QT application. Read the youtube description for whats going on. The near term feature set includes a charging Stop button, reading and displaying current draw.

whoami said:

Completely interrupt based and is a native QT application. Read the youtube description for whats going on. The near term feature set includes a charging Stop button, reading and displaying current draw.

What would be nice is kw used per day or charge VS monthly.

EVDRIVER said:
whoami said:

What would be nice is kw used per day or charge VS monthly.
Absolutely on the list. Once instanteous draw is implemented, draw per day and per month should be straight forward. The end goal is to have a visual graph of last charge run, last day, last month.

The whole point of publishing the video is to show that the charge mechanism is working and is reliable. Basic features are important then development can move on to the fun features. Some of the really "fun" ideas include: weather, networked audio player, carwings stats.

The end goal of Wink is to do this right. Stable software with a feature set that is needed. To me, a sluggish UI with some interesting metrics and a static map of the US that shows nothing is not useful.

whoami said:
The end goal of Wink is to do this right. Stable software with a feature set that is needed. To me, a sluggish UI with some interesting metrics and a static map of the US that shows nothing is not useful.
This is exciting stuff. What is your intent, to encourage Blink to use your enhanced SW or have people upgrade their stock units as an underground DYI effort?

HIOJim said:
whoami said:
This is exciting stuff. What is your intent, to encourage Blink to use your enhanced SW or have people upgrade their stock units as an underground DYI effort?
My intent in the beginning is selfish and to produce software with the feature set I want. My long-term goal is to have Blink/Ecotality wake up and realize what they designed and put to market is not acceptable in the current state. If this means we have to continue the underground builds then so be it, if this means they have produced something stable and feature rich, then I'll be the first one to use it.

Well boys and girls we need a new power supply. The power supply was pulled from the blink and identified as a Meanwell PT-65-R13VAI. From some quick component research we believe it is a PT-65A due to voltage levels.
http://www.meanwell.com/search/pt-65/default.htm

It is a AC/DC 60W power supply with a rated efficency of 76% per the datasheet. It supplies +5, -5 and +12V.

Why do we need a new one?

whoami said:
Well boys and girls we need a new power supply. The power supply was pulled from the blink and identified as a Meanwell PT-65-R13VAI. From some quick component research we believe it is a PT-65A due to voltage levels.
http://www.meanwell.com/search/pt-65/default.htm

It is a AC/DC 60W power supply with a rated efficency of 76% per the datasheet. It supplies +5, -5 and +12V.

mogur said:
Why do we need a new one?
76% efficiency is pretty poor as well as 60W is sized way to big. I'm thinking a 2A/10W. This plus a few software tweaks I think we can get standby below 1W.

Back