So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sproqitman said:
Okay, so now I have three weeks of data:
Code:
Odometer mileage               650.0
KWh reported by Blink          208.0
Miles/KWh                        3.1
Driving is half freeway/half surface streets, typically with lights, wipers, and heater on, plus a lot of up and down. So I'm satisfied with the miles/KWh. On a related note, has anyone calibrated what the Blink reports? I'm assuming it's reporting what it's pulling from the electrical panel, but I don't have a separate meter so I can't verify.
Here are my March number (I'll do a separate post with details). Very close to your 3.1 m/kwh.
Code:
Odometer mileage               565
KWh reported by Blink          176
Miles/KWh                      3.2
Weighted avg of Leaf M/KWh     4.1

I compared the Blink numbers with the numbers PSE reports on my single meter. Looks "ok" - obviously a 10% or even 20% error can't be figured out this way. Need TED to check it.

DaveinOlyWA said:
sproqitman said:
Okay, so now I have three weeks of data:
Code:
Odometer mileage               650.0
KWh reported by Blink          208.0
Miles/KWh                        3.1
Driving is half freeway/half surface streets, typically with lights, wipers, and heater on, plus a lot of up and down. So I'm satisfied with the miles/KWh. On a related note, has anyone calibrated what the Blink reports? I'm assuming it's reporting what it's pulling from the electrical panel, but I don't have a separate meter so I can't verify.
ok what is the car reporting on the energy screen for same time period?
Car is reporting around 3.2 M/KWh. I'm not very consistent with setting/resetting it, so I might be a bit off. CARWINGS (until it stopped recording) was reporting 4.1 to 4.2 M/KWh.

I have been driving for a little over a week. I have 1 major hill (Kellogg hill for the locals)in my commute from Chino to Los Angeles 32.5 miles each way. I usually charge 80% and top off while at work but today I decided to do a round trip on a 100% charge.

Made the round trip total 65 miles on freeway at 65mph in eco mode with climate control off and parked in the driveway with 18 miles left on the range calculator, just a little more than 3 bars (1 white and 2 red bars left).
I'm averaging 4.8 miles per KWH with the majority of the driving at 65 mph.

I love driving the car, just can't wait for someone to offer a 5 or 6 kw range extender battery pack I can sit in the trunk.

Hope the information is useful.

Mike

MrFish said:
I usually charge 80% and top off while at work but today I decided to do a round trip on a 100% charge.

Made the round trip total 65 miles on freeway at 65mph in eco mode with climate control off and parked in the driveway with 18 miles left on the range calculator, just a little more than 3 bars (1 white and 2 red bars left).

Gosh, that hill must really do a number on you....only 65 miles in ECO with no CC? I can better that kind of number on my relatively flat commute in D with the A/C on!

mwalsh said:
MrFish said:
I usually charge 80% and top off while at work but today I decided to do a round trip on a 100% charge.

Gosh, that hill must really do a number on you....only 65 miles in ECO with no CC? I can better that kind of number on my relatively flat commute in D with the A/C on!

Yes, Ill have to check the distance from the base to the summit and back down, but it looses 15 miles of range to cover a distance estimated at 5 miles even with the regen.

evnow,
I have yet to be able to correlate data from the blink or carwings. I had one charge session that only lasted 20 minutes and the blink reported 2.2 kWh. I also had one that logged 7.4 kWh during a time I was driving the car to Scappoose, not sure where that came from. I lost a bunch of test data with the last couple updates pushed so I have to do a new series. I'm trying to get an accurate wall to wheels usage / cost figure but can't get stuff to add up. I am not using fudge factors yet. :lol:

Could some of you who now have some mountain driving experience please give your estimates of how elevation gain and descent has affected your range?

Assuming a return to your start point, so no net elevation change, about how many miles of range do you think each 1,000 ft of elevation gain and descent subtract from total range?

I'm asking about "typical" grade conditions, with reasonable efforts made to maximize regen and minimize conversion of the energy gained in descent to brake heat.

I've driven a trip that was 40 miles up an elevation gain of 5,500 feet. At the top, the car went into "low battery" mode and it had entered the 2 red bars. The range indicator showed 12 miles remaining.

So, if the car can go 100 miles (Eco mode) on relatively flat land, but only 40 miles up a 5,500 foot grade, wouldn't that calculate to 2.5:1 difference?

But, going back down got me back to the starting point with 1 red bar showing and 9 miles range remaining, for a total ride without recharge of 80 miles in Eco mode.

bowthom said:
I have yet to be able to correlate data from the blink or carwings. I had one charge session that only lasted 20 minutes and the blink reported 2.2 kWh. I also had one that logged 7.4 kWh during a time I was driving the car to Scappoose, not sure where that came from. I lost a bunch of test data with the last couple updates pushed so I have to do a new series. I'm trying to get an accurate wall to wheels usage / cost figure but can't get stuff to add up. I am not using fudge factors yet. :lol:
Is this onthe blinknetwork.com ?

That place is full of holes - hopefully federal government won't be making decisions based on that collection of data - thought after the latest firmware it seems to be better for me.

MrFish said:
Is that what CarWings says ? Ignore it - carwings is bloated.

If you got 4.8 m/kwh, you would get a range of 115 miles.

Randy3 said:
I've driven a trip that was 40 miles up an elevation gain of 5,500 feet. At the top, the car went into "low battery" mode and it had entered the 2 red bars. The range indicator showed 12 miles remaining.

So, if the car can go 100 miles (eco mode) on relatively flat land, but only 40 miles up a 5,500 foot grade, wouldn't that calculate to 2.5:1 difference?

Well, I 'd say it sounds like your 5,500 ft climb "used up" about 48 miles of range. What I'm wondering is what part of this energy/range can be recaptured in a descent. That is why I asked about loss of range with a known amount of elevation change, where the assent and descent are equal, such as in a round trip.

For instance, if you use 60% of charge driving 60 miles over flat terrain at 60 mph, and have 40 miles of range remaining, as best you can estimate by bars or reported range remaining, about how much less capacity (or remaining flat 60mph range) would you have left for each 1000 feet of climb and descent in an otherwise identical (same speed, heat/AC use) trip?

Most of my driving involves multiple descents and ascents over a single trip, but I'd think the incremental energy expended and regenerated by climbing and descending should be fairly constant over a given amount of altitude. Of course, this is a major determinant of range The LEAF range estimate ignores, and often miscalculates, by looking back at the hill you just drove up, rather than forward, at the road downhill.

28 miles each way total drive = 56 miles. To work = mostly downhill, home = opposite
--Regular Drive-- 65mph or less
To work = 12 miles
To home = 53 miles
Total = 65 miles (+9 miles)
--Eco mode--
to work = 26 miles
To home = 65 miles
Total eco = 91 miles. (+35 miles)
Reg---
to work 6 miles
to home 62 miles
Total = 68 miles
work 10 miles
home 61 miles
Total= 71 miles
2 bars cruise to work = -6 miles
5 bars to home = 72 miles
Total = 66 miles
1 mile 3 bars work
64 miles 4 bars home
Total 65 miles 7 bars
-5 miles 2 bars
66 miles 5 bars
Total = 61 miles 7 bars
2 miles 2 bars work
67 miles 4 bars home
Total = 69 miles 6 bars
-5 miles 2 bars work
65 miles 4 bars home
Total = 60 miles 6 bars
18 miles work 4 bars
57 miles home 4 bars
Total = 75 miles 8 bars
17 miles work 3 bars
43 miles home 5 bars
Total = 60 miles 8 bars
9 miles 3 bars
55 miles 4 bars
Total = 64 miles 7 bars

7.875 bars averaged over 8 days, so 65.6 % of the battery up and back of a 56 mile trip. 7.11 miles per bar = 85.32 miles total average, mostly cruise control at 65mph. Please note a few trips were at 70-75mph.
I wasn't checking the bars used in the beginning, as you can see by my data the day that I tried eco mode the whole way was the worst, but I only tried it one day. I believe eco mode isn't that great for freeway driving, of course I need to try it a few more times before coming to my final conclusion. I hope this helps.

evnow said:
MrFish said:
Is that what CarWings says ? Ignore it - carwings is bloated.

If you got 4.8 m/kwh, you would get a range of 115 miles.

I'm glad you noticed that, in the dash energy meter I'm getting 3.8 m/kw and on Carwings for the same trip I'm getting 4.8 m/kw.

66 miles uses 9 bars X 8% per bar = 72%
72% of 24 kw= 17.28 kw
66 miles / 17.28 kw = 3.82 m/kw

If that looks correct then the dash monitor is pretty accurate and Carwings is pretty far off.

Hello,
Been doing more correlating of data. I'm thinking Carwing's "electricity consumed" is THE number.
My totals for April so far:
Blink reported 96.9 kWh from which I subtracted preconditioning events leaving 87.4 kWh charging.
Carwings reports 80.3 kWh "consumed"
292 miles driven

This give a charger (+ other) efficiency rating of 92%.
My actual "wall to wheels" = 3.34 m/kWh. Adding the preconditioning nets me 3.0 m/kWh

My blink numbers for March are wacko. On 3/18 it shows 6 overlapping charge events totaling 24.3 kWh and I only drove 31 miles. One day's reporting was completely missing. There was a period of time when a different charger ser# 100592 was also attached to my account. I'm sure the owner of that charger suffered account issues.

So let me understand this. You are saying your Blink numbers for March are wacko. Others are saying the CarWings numbers are wacko. But you say the Carwings numbers must be right because they agree with your April Blink numbers?

Ray

Hello,
Kinda comical huh? :lol:
I have to ignore my Blink numbers for March cuz' there is no way to correlate the data. April numbers seem better, I'm keeping a log and the Blink network is doing better. Although after this last update, it shows the actual charge time on the Blink screen but the network is still reporting plugin and unplug times. Makes it difficult to calculate preconditioning cuz' it's all lumped together.
As for carwings, I think we are all looking for the real data in what it reports, to do our own calculations. I think "electricity consumed" seems a pretty accurate number in my case. Now as for carwing's calculations, they seem really bogus. I'm closer to the 3.7 m/kWh shown on the dash. Ends up 3.34 m/kWh wall to wheel after efficiency losses.

Ya know I'm just posting my data, you can take it or leave it. I'm working to get real world figures of what this car costs to operate. No blue sky, no smoke up your......... well you get the idea. I would like EV's to succeed and having bad info everywhere from on the net to on your dash does not help. The DOE is using Ecotality data to plan the future and so far they don't have a clue from just about any perspective.

ON EDIT: That being said this new update blew last nights data report. According to the blink network my car charged 0 kWh last night. Twas a standard commute yesterday so S/B 5.7 kWh.

Starting SOC : 100%
Range (till battery low) : 87 Miles
Range (till turtle) : didn't get there, but close I'm certain, 94.6 at end
Driving : 90% freeway, but with 1800 foot climb up and back down, hilly terrain in 2nd half of drive
This was during rush hour and I kept up with traffic, low 60's most of the time, ECO mode for all driving
Climate : 60 degrees F. A/C not in use

I have a 106 miles round trip per day and no charging station at work.
90% highway with cool weather. 55-65 miles all the way on the freeway.
Do you think I can/should use the Leaf for daily commute?

Back