July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AndyH said:
The earlier report in this thread that about 1/4 of Volts are unsold, VS. the 2 or 3 Leaf orphans suggests a different sales picture.
Not when there are so few made...25% of Volts just isn't that many cars, and if the unsold inventory rises, all that will happen is that Chevy dealers will stop marking them up so much... unless some safety related defect occurs, all of the Volts are going to be sold, don't doubt it.

davewill said:
Not when there are so few made...25% of Volts just isn't that many cars, and if the unsold inventory rises, all that will happen is that Chevy dealers will stop marking them up so much... unless some safety related defect occurs, all of the Volts are going to be sold, don't doubt it.
I'd like to believe so too.

http://www.plugincars.com/february-electric-car-deliveries-are-down-106875.html

Just one data point, still.

Tom Moloughney said:
I can tell you that there are definitely volts on NJ dealer lots that are available for sale at MSRP. Last month I was shopping for an equinox for my wife. She frequently drives to see her parents in Vermont which is 220 miles each way and not having four wheel drive just wasn't working, especially this crazy winter. Of the three Chevy dealerships I stopped at all of them said I could have a volt within two to three weeks as they were getting some in that were not pre-ordered. One dealer, Shumacher Chevrolet had one sitting in the lot waiting to be bought at MSRP. I even convinced them to agree to bring it to my restaurant and put it on display for an EV event I had planned, but it snowed that day and I had to cancel. I passed by the dealer a couple weeks later and the volt was still there.

Anyone out there that wants a volt at MSRP just call some dealers in NJ, they have them and no dealer that I went to was marking them up at all.

But there are people who know how to sell. They post on gm-volt and it gets sold quickly ...

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?7353

I've no doubt that there are Volt's sitting in some dealer lots waiting to be bought. There are also pending Volt orders to be fulfilled by GM ....

Essentially GM is using the old inefficient way of offering a Volt to its potential buyer. So it takes more time.

I think the real issue is the Volt still relies on gasoline... and is very expensive. 40 EV Volt miles is really 26ish and then your burning $4.30 gas every 37 miles after that. "Range Anxiety never happened and instead become "Gas Station Anxiety". People are looking for a clean break from the oil game and the Volt ain't it!

TRONZ said:
I think the real issue is the Volt still relies on gasoline... and is very expensive.
The first one (obviously) doesn't affect sales. A Million gas cars get sold every month. Second one is a big problem in the long term - but not the first year. Ofcourse, Volt costs about the same to lease as a Leaf ...

evnow said:
TRONZ said:
I think the real issue is the Volt still relies on gasoline... and is very expensive.
The first one (obviously) doesn't affect sales. A Million gas cars get sold every month. Second one is a big problem in the long term - but not the first year. Ofcourse, Volt costs about the same to lease as a Leaf ...

I guess what I meant to say was that people shopping for an electric car are likely turned off that it still uses gas. I seem to have my EV goggles on lately... not thinking like the mass populous.

If the public chargers ever get installed, more people with see them and realized that an EV is a viable option.

Its funny that cold weather range issues are mentioned on the Leaf when the volt has less than half the range.

There are lots of volt owners who have burned less than 10 gallons of gas after as much as 3000 miles so it looks like even a 40 mile range seems to cover a significant need as well

Kinda surprising we still don't have the sales for the Leaf in Japan for the month of March. Can I suggest you put something other than "0" for the months where we know cars were sold but we still haven't got the numbers? (maybe "unknown") Right now to the average "Joe" total sales of the Leaf went from a high of 2,660 in February down to 298 in March.

evnow said:
Second one is a big problem in the long term - but not the first year. Ofcourse, Volt costs about the same to lease as a Leaf ...
I think that at the moment Nissan has a bigger problem with price of the Leaf than GM has with the price of the Volt. Both companies are probably losing money but Nissan, like any company importing from Japan, is getting absolutely hammered by the yen-dollar exchange rate. It has to be truly ugly for them, and you have to think that prices will have to go up for next round of reservations. The announced price of the Leaf in Canada -- $39,341 -- may illustrate what might happen in the next round of roll out states as Nissan uses a "required" cold weather package to mask a price increase necessitated by the strength of the yen.

At the same time GM is moving in the opposite direction. It's making standard equipment like the 30 Gig Infotainment Center and the Bose sound system optional. That's probably about $3000 of stuff which can either be translated into a price cut or a better margin or maybe some of both.

The bottom line is that until Nissan can make Leafs in NA these exchange rates will make the environment for selling Leafs here extremely challenging.

A possible indicator...

Reuters video, Apr 21, 2011 "Nissan may lose U.S. market share"
(looks like Leaf production video, BTW)

http://widget.newsinc.com/fullplaye...ewheel=90000&sitesection=houstonchronbusiness

- Nissan may lose some US market share - US is ~10% of total
- Plagued by parts shortages - especially specialized electronics from Japan
- NA chairman says next few weeks critical
- Hopes for full production in June if supply chain can meet quotas

SanDust said:
I think that at the moment Nissan has a bigger problem with price of the Leaf than GM has with the price of the Volt.
LOL. Another Volt/GM fan post. GM was absolutely hammered by everyone when Volt prices was announced. Nothing has changed since then.

SanDust said:
GM is moving in the opposite direction. It's making standard equipment like the 30 Gig Infotainment Center and the Bose sound system optional. That's probably about $3000 of stuff which can either be translated into a price cut or a better margin or maybe some of both.
Maybe Nissan could try this also. I might be willing to pay extra for a better sound system. The 30GB infotainment center, probably not; that problem is quickly and inexpensively solved using the LEAF's current stereo by pluggung in a 32GB USB flash drive...

i think Nissan will have competition from Mitsubishi. the Volt addresses a completely different market, the single car household that needs to "do it all well"

the Leaf along with the Mitsubishi addresses the person who wants all electric as much as possible and Mitsubishi put it out at a great price. hopefully this will open the floodgates where we can have EVs at all price ranges and ranges!!

Nissan will be going the other way. The car base price will go up
But they will offer a version without nav to lower the price

They will mark up the car a couple thousand add a $500 cold package

And offer a stripper model

DaveinOlyWA said:
i think Nissan will have competition from Mitsubishi.
Yes they will. The big negative to the Mitsubishi is the 16 kWh pack with 85 mile LA4 range. It will likely be a big turnoff for some since the LEAF's 24 kWh pack already requires careful planning and range managment... Other than that, the Mitsubishi looks like a great competitor.

Nissan LEAF April US sales: 573.
http://www.nissannews.com/pressrelease/2457/1/nissan-north-america-reports-april-sales-increase-12.2

Volt sales were at 493 in April.

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/05/03/sales-update-nissan-leaf-hits-573-chevy-volt-at-493-in-april/

Not sure why GM hasn't been able to ramp up Volt production.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back