miku
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Re: First Warranty Issue; Carwings Is Broken

Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:22 pm

Hmm -- Lea -- I might be having a similar problem, perhaps for different reasons though.

My carwings worked fine when I picked up on Saturday, but while they were fixing the air con issue, the service mgr insisted that he had to replace the TCU because he was getting a "hard fault code" (how hard can they be??). SInce the replacement, I've been unable to control the car via the web. It appears to update stations fine, and even after I tried clearing out my carwings username/password -- i was able to enter them again and it said "account enabled" -- so it is talking somewhat -- just not back to the web interface. No status updates, and no remote control.

I have a call into Nissan CC, and they're supposed to call me back tomorrow. Let's hope...

Michael
Silver SL+QC #716
delivery April 2, 2011

Spaz

Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:32 am

Another update - Nick at Mossy Nissan, San Diego, ROCKS!

Got my Leaf back yesterday, after much diligent (and frustrating, I'm sure) work and many conversations between Nick and Nissan. Update Stations works and CarWings works. Nick explained the problem to me, but I don't really recall exactly what he said - I was too happy and too busy thinking about all the fun stuff that was finally available to me. Thankfully, Nick considered all the time and work a worthwhile learning experience and didn't blame me for being such a baby about not having access to these things.

@miku - might be worth your time to either reach out to Nick, or have your local EV Tech call Nick.

THANK YOU, Nick! And thank you Mossy Nissan for letting him spend so much time with me!

Lea

miku
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:07 pm

Lea,

Glad to hear your issue was resolved. SOunds like these might actually be different after all.

I am now fully operational too -- worked with Nissan support yesterday and today. They tell me this is the first TCU replacement they've had to deal with. It appears that Nissan shares some data with Carwings prior to delivery, and something in that information block needed to be updated. All working great now. There's also information passed up when you log in the first time with your carwings username/password -- but i tried re-setting those and it never helped. Had to get escalated through Nissan CC. They also truly rocked -- such a pleasure dealing with them -- carefully working through the options and finding the resolution nice and quck.

Michael
Silver SL+QC #716
delivery April 2, 2011

SteveInSeattle
Delivery Date: 03 May 2011

Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:48 pm

My Carwings stopped working on May 10th-- I cannot get any update or control anything from the website, from the iphone app, and the car, when trying to connect says "no service"..what do people suggest?
2013 lease ended, purchased a red 2015 SL Premium from Ray Ishak at Magic Nissan. Good deal + rebates + $7500 tax credit + no sales tax = Leaf for Sentra money.

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:15 am

If I may make a suggestion, I think we should separate out discussion of two different websites:

The first one is, I believe, free for so long as we own the vehicle, and has charging status (bars, %, hours to charge, range estimates) as well as climate and charging requests. The second we will have to pay for after three years, and has the history, route planner, info. feeds and rankings.

SteveInSeattle clearly is saying the owner's portal is not working for him. That works fine for me (with the possible exception of notifications), but I have nothing at all on the CARWINGS site. Actually, that is also as it should be, since I have never agreed to the nag screen in the car.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

garygid
Gold Member
Delivery Date: 29 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000855

Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:37 am

BOTH Carwings Statistics and the Owners Portal need to get data from the LEAF.

The data-mode "cell phone" subscription is needed for communication with the LEAF, and is provided for 3 free years.

The data requests go THROUGH Carwings, the AT&T data-cell mobile "phone" service, and the telecommunications control module (TCM) in the car.

After the 3 free years, it is most likely that neither car status (on the Owners Portal) nor Carwings will work.

No subscription, no status refresh, no Start Charging, no Pre-Heat or Cool control ... Remotely. Of course, you can still do those things when physically in the car.
See SOC/GID-Meter and CAN-Do Info
2011 LEAF, sold in 2015
2010 Prius, 2014 silver Tesla S
Nissan EVSE, mod to 240/120v 16A
PU: SDG&E
Solar PV: 33 x 225W -> 7 kW max AC
To Sell: X-treme 5000Li EV motorcycle

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:53 am

garygid wrote:BOTH Carwings Statistics and the Owners Portal need to get data from the LEAF.

The data-mode "cell phone" subscription is needed for communication with the LEAF, and is provided for 3 free years.

The data requests go THROUGH Carwings, the AT&T data-cell mobile "phone" service, and the telecommunications control module (TCM) in the car.

Totally agree with this; I wondered WHOSE cell phone (data) service they used.

garygid wrote:After the 3 free years, it is most likely that neither car status (on the Owners Portal) nor Carwings will work.

No subscription, no status refresh, no Start Charging, no Pre-Heat or Cool control ... Remotely. Of course, you can still do those things when physically in the car.

Now I'm a bit confused: are you implying we WON'T be offered some (ridiculous?) price to extend the data service on a subscription basis? I think these will be the big questions in 3 years:
1) Subscription price
2) Alternatives (doesn't look pretty)
3) What happens if/when the data service changes/evolves. For example, it is a 2G/3G service now (either GPRS/UMTS). If/when these network give way to 4G (LTE), some sort of upgrade will be required. 3G should last awhile, but if they're using GPRS, we could be in trouble.
Last edited by Stanton on Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:29 pm

garygid wrote:After the 3 free years, it is most likely that neither car status (on the Owners Portal) nor Carwings will work.

You make a good point, Gary. I hope you are wrong, but I fear you could be right.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

davewill

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:35 pm

Stanton wrote:

Now I'm a bit confused: are you implying we WON'T be offered some (ridiculous?) price to extend the data service on a subscription basis?...
His statement is of the form "No shirt, no service". There's an implied "If..then" in it. He's saying that if we don't subscribe, then we won't get any of those things he listed...and I think his logic is pretty persuasive.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

Stanton
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:02 pm

ok, I get that. So if we knew WHAT kind of wireless technology they've used (GPRS/UMTS/other?) then it might give us a clue as to whether they will even be able to sustain the service from a technology standpoint beyond 3 years.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/floor mats & window tint
12v LiFePO4 battery & FIAMM 74100 horns
Wet Okole seat covers (front)
Tor's low-power heater mod
2013 sun visor
3G modem upgrade
L2 EVSE Upgrade
Battery Pack replaced (Rev E) @51 months and 41k miles

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”