The forgotten Sept/Oct orders

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just called CS asked for "Laura" , they didn't know who I was asking for. So I spoke to the CS rep that answered and asked about car. She said car was probably still in Japan and they were having a shortage of the QC port part. Also gave they line about being a skipped order and to please have a supervisor contact me w/ more info on my car. Still waiting on an answer to an EM I sent 2 days ago about the same thing.

My call today to CS got a somewhat different response than others have reported.
I told the lady that I felt the out-of-order priority given to Jan/Feb orders had affected my car, and I requested escalation of my case (currently "Pending"). The lady promised to take my case to her "team leader," and about 30 min later she called me back, with this info:

My car was in production at the time of the earthquake, but had not completed production. They are the in process of re-starting production. They have assigned a VIN to my order. They are delaying taking folks out of "Pending" while they take extra care to keep everybody in proper order. I might get the car in May, but that was not a promise.

I received the initial email that first gave me a delivery date of "April" on Feb 8. It sounds reasonable that would translate into a production date of early March, very near the date of the earthquake. Since I did not get to order until Nov, if the Jan/Feb orders were just "stolen" from the Sept/Oct orders, is it possible that my car would NOT have been scheduled for production earlier if the mis-allocation had not occurred ?

On pg 23 of this thread, Leafkabob reported:
He said the paint shop "is pretty much gone," because it was in Northern Japan (non-Nissan he said).
Does this mean I better hope my car was painted before production stopped? I would think the paint shop would be in the same plant as the final assembly. I did see a report in WSJ last Thursday that a key paint supplier in Northern Japan had been heavily damaged. They listed major auto brands that used their paint, including Toyota and GM, but they did not list Nissan.

1. With a late November Order date, your car COULD have been still in production, but ... does it make sense that they PRODUCED the 2011 Orders before yours? I think not.

2. Some parts and panels MIGHT arrive at the plant already painted, but it seems unlikely that a manufacturing process would be designed to ship cars up-country for paint, and then back to the factory to re-enter the production line.

3. One member who decided to "squeak" just got a call that a car "for HER" (her car?) is now "In Port" (in the USA).

4. I just called CS, chose automated option "4", and asked to speak to Laura. With a moment of fumbling, we located a "Laura" at extension #47906. She only works until 4:30 Ohio time, so she will be leaving soon.

5. It helps to realize that these CS folks can do very little, and have access to very little "real" information. Thus, it helps to be clear about what you want.

6. You can request to be put on the list of those "skipped orders" that are waiting to "get an orphan".

7. You can request the name and phone number of the person in NissanUSA (not CS) that is responsible for handling the "skipped orders". Of course, CS will not have that info, but you can request that they talk to their supervisor and obtain that info.

7. You could inform them that you want NissanUSA to re-assign the VINs that they have (apparently incorrectly) "given" to 2011 Orders.

As has been said, Nissan is in a loose-loose situation. Re-assign VIN's and Jan people will be pissed off. Deliver 2011 orders before 2010 and those who got skipped over will be pissed off, especially if they miss the CA rebate as a result.

For what it is worth, this is how I would handle this situation if it was my problem:

- Do not re-assign VIN's. There is a sense of ownership once you get a VIN#, that is now "your car"
- Put a port hold on all the cars currently in port assigned to Jan orders
- Start filling the 2010 orders as fast as possible, ramping production as fast as possilbe, add more shifs, do whatever to get the 2010 order cars out. I don't think anyone would care that their VIN # is higher than someone who ordered later. The concern is delivery timing.
- After the 2010 cars are cleared out of the port, release the Jan orders.
- This will not make the Jan people happy but, there should be some comfort in that Nissan does not want 1100 cars (from my estimate) sitting at the port. Thus Jan order people will at least have a feeling that Nissan is going to do everything in their power to get cars to the 2010 people as fast as possible.
- If production can be ramped up quickly again, perhaps the 2010 order could be filled by end-May releasing the Jan orders cars waiting in port in Jun.
- This allows them to honor their statement that they would deliver cars according to order/reservation dates which is the right thing to do.

JMHO, take it for what it is worth. :|

Long4Leaf said:
Do not re-assign VIN's. There is a sense of ownership once you get a VIN#, that is now "your car"
- Put a port hold on all the cars currently in port assigned to Jan orders
- Start filling the 2010 orders as fast as possible, ramping production as fast as possilbe, add more shifs, do whatever to get the 2010 order cars out. I don't think anyone would care that their VIN # is higher than someone who ordered later. The concern is delivery timing.
- After the 2010 cars are cleared out of the port, release the Jan orders.

This will never happen. Nissan wants to close 1000 deals on 1000 cars as soon as possible -- especially with its factories crippled. The VINs need to be re-assigned, consistent with original order priority.

BlueSL said:
.... Nissan wants to close 1000 deals on 1000 cars as soon as possible -- especially with its factories crippled.

That's my point. They take ownership of their error which has consequences to them. Let's everyone know they want to get past this as quickly as anyone else.

The deliveries on the spreadsheet are primarily August and September. A few October and a couple December orders. No 2011 orders show on the spreadsheet as delivered. This may change but it looks to me like September is still getting priority with the vast majority of actual deliveries.

As suggested over in the "X to Pending" thread, I contacted my PD yesterday, and they do have VIN#1818 for me, however their system is showing "hold" at the Port. My PD cautioned that they've seen some "hold" vehicles take over a month to deliver, and they've also seen Nissan reassign some vehicles.

MaryC said:
Looks like I am not forgotten after all. Just got VIN 1284. but Del went from pending to June.
My dashboard just went to June as well. This is probably more a reflection of removing the color edit option than an actual change in delivery timing. ECOtality has my delivery at May 3rd and CS tells me probably by the end of April. So, clearly, Nissan does not really know at this point. My guess is that they are reluctant to release a large batch of vehicles until they are sure they have a permanent fix to the A/C overcharge issue.

My dashboard changed from Pending to "Week of May 2, 2011" last night.

I got an e-mail from Nissan Customer Support yesterday.
It said no VIN has been assigned to me, but my information had been forwarded to the "Leadership team who are working hard to find me a vehicle".
Maybe my e-mail to them a few days ago had some effect.

Sounds like they found one.

Exciting times ahead...

I went from "Pending" to "month of June" today.
So, that makes it: March to April to May to Pending to June.
What a fiasco!
Nissan sure has botched this process.
I ordered October 30, 2010.

My 10/1 order this week. I'd Been MOM since changing from April in February, and been told by CS to expect 5/3 delivery a few weeks back.

As best I can recall:

Received earthquake delay Email from Nissan Monday PM. Went from MOM to Pending on dashboard Monday night.

CS said no car had been allocated to me and no delivery scheduled, on Tuesday.

CS said May 3rd still correct, on Wednesday.

CS now said I had no delivery scheduled, but they were working on finding me one from US inventory, Thursday AM.

CS called me and said I had a car, to be delivered in second week, or mid-May, Thursday PM.

Dash board changed to week of May 2, early this AM.

CS called later this AM, and said, maybe 5/2 is correct, and maybe later in May, as Nissan HQ in Tennessee told them yesterday, is more likely.

Haven't heard from North Bay Nissan yet, today, which should have more info.

Comment to Nissan.

Was all this neccessary?

Last night when my dashboard changed from pending to June, I also could enable the CarWings tab and go through the owners portal to get VIN and other owner info. Has anyone else w/ a dashboard change had their CarWings enabled?

MaryC said:
Last night when my dashboard changed from pending to June, I also could enable the CarWings tab and go through the owners portal to get VIN and other owner info. Has anyone else w/ a dashboard change had their CarWings enabled?
Changed to June last night for me, but Carwings has not been enabled.

MaryC said:
You're the only one with a June ETA that has reported that Carwings is open that I've seen... Everyone else has an early May week-of date.

Beachcliffs said:
Changed to June last night for me, but Carwings has not been enabled.
How'd you get your VIN in your signature?

Drees, my Carwings was enabled and I was able to see VIN 1265 with June delivery. As a former EV1 driver, I'm pretty pumped! Or charged? ;)

Went from Month of April - Pending - to Week of May 2 today, per dashboard.

Enable Carwings and pre-purchase checklist is available but no email from Nissan or contact from PD.

Hoping this is for real and not a dream...

Back