No Heat!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IBELEAF said:
EVDRIVER said:
IBELEAF said:
So I got lucky with bad heater unit. They are giving me loaner in the meantime.

Please update the cause, my vote is the pump.

they said just that heater was defective, didn't mention anything about pump.

Ask what exact part was replaced, it is more likely the pump than the heating core, clearly some part of the "heater" was defective but that is dealer speak.

So, the latest update is no car for me this weekend. Nissan is flying in LEAF engineer on Monday to look at the issue because this one is the first to have it. You can call me lucky. :)

Which is of course more Nissan BS, as EVDRIVER had his DOA as well.

Anytime there is a problem with your car and it goes to the dealer, DEMAND to at least have the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) that their computer system (Consult III+) downloads from your car.

Then at least they can't B/S you!

-Phil

IBELEAF said:
So, the latest update is no car for me this weekend. Nissan is flying in LEAF engineer on Monday to look at the issue because this one is the first to have it. You can call me lucky. :)

Let me understand the recommended delivery procedure before leaving the dealership if my Leaf comes in next week as advertised:

Turn the heat on all the way while simultaneously cooling the cabin with the AC on?

Ingineer said:
Which is of course more Nissan BS, as EVDRIVER had his DOA as well.

Anytime there is a problem with your car and it goes to the dealer, DEMAND to at least have the DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) that their computer system (Consult III+) downloads from your car.

Then at least they can't B/S you!

-Phil

As a service manager explained, they know what the issue and they have the part to fix it today, but per Nissan's procedure they have to have "Level 2" engineer to look at the issue.

IBELEAF said:
As a service manager explained, they know what the issue and they have the part to fix it today, but per Nissan's procedure they have to have "Level 2" engineer to look at the issue.

As long as you trust them.

EVDRIVER had the same thing happen, and apparently the dealer techs seemed clueless. They had to wait for Nissan to send the tech. At least he was thorough enough to get the codes so there is no question.

You just dropped a good amount of $ on a new piece of machinery, wouldn't you want to know EXACTLY what they are up to?!?

-Phil

Ingineer said:
You just dropped a good amount of $ on a new piece of machinery, wouldn't you want to know EXACTLY what they are up to?!?

-Phil
Well... It's quite possible, they took the car apart and now can't put it together and have to wait for an expert to arrive. In any case, I am not loosing my sleep over it while for them to have my car at the shop costs money and I am sure it's in their best interest to resolve the issue asap. In the meantime, they gave me Altima as a loaner and I am not complaining. :)

IBELEAF said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil
Well... It's quite possible, they took the car apart and now can't put it together and have to wait for an expert to arrive. In any case, I am not loosing my sleep over it while for them to have my car at the shop costs money and I am sure it's in their best interest to resolve the issue asap. In the meantime, they gave me Altima as a loaner and I am not complaining. :)

Why don't you ask what the part is then the mystery is over, even though it's likely the pump. I insisted on not leaving the car as I knew it would sit the first time and it would have. The guys from Japan will show up, install the pump or whatever and be on their way with the part.

EVDRIVER said:
Why don't you ask what the part is then the mystery is over, even though it's likely the pump. I insisted on not leaving the car as I knew it would sit the first time and it would have. The guys from Japan will show up, install the pump or whatever and be on their way with the part.

Yup, I'll check with them on the part when they are done. Btw, since the car was just sitting at the shop I asked if I could get the car for the weekend and bring it back when the engineer arrives. Their response was that "they technically can't stop me from taking it, but recommended not to since they wanted to keep things as they are now"

IBELEAF said:
Ingineer said:

-Phil

Take the Altima back and ask for a Maxima or Z :D

IBELEAF said:
EVDRIVER said:

Yup, I'll check with them on the part when they are done. Btw, since the car was just sitting at the shop I asked if I could get the car for the weekend and bring it back when the engineer arrives. Their response was that "they technically can't stop me from taking it, but recommended not to since they wanted to keep things as they are now"

Whenever I haver my car worked on, I ALWAYS ask for the 'bad' parts to be returned to me.

I am curious if the loaner is the standard dealer issue for any repair, or because the leaf is special? I took my leaf in for the ac fix but I didn't get a loaner

lettcco said:
I am curious if the loaner is the standard dealer issue for any repair, or because the leaf is special? I took my leaf in for the ac fix but I didn't get a loaner
It seems only for special cases. For the most part they provide shuttle service. I had warranty repair previously on my Sentra for 2 days and they did not give me a loaner.

mogur said:
You don't have that option under warranty.

Jimmydreams said:
Whenever I haver my car worked on, I ALWAYS ask for the 'bad' parts to be returned to me.

Yup - and you're somewhat fortunate if they actually tell you what was done. Most warranty work is "something was broken; we fixed it" with only the scantest details on what was done.

One dealer trip was "warning messages displayed" ; "repaired wiring"

A second trip to a second dealer was a two page write-up. That was actually interesting to read through.

So - has anyone see the "Level 2" technicians? Are they specially trained US mechanics, or is there a crew of Japanese engineers over here making the rounds?

So, it's the end of the day 5 with Leaf just sitting in the dealership waiting for some mystery engineer to show up to look at the heater issue and authorize repair. Service manager said I can take the car back, but they cannot fix it as Nissan instructed them not to fix under warranty until their engineer arrives. He also recommended to escalate with Nissan directly, but it's the end of the day for them, so someone will get back to me by EOD Wednesday.

If a dealer arranges for a rental car while your new car is in for a warranty repair - does anyone know whether that car is paid for by the dealer or by the parent company (e.g. Nissan)?

Any difference if you are given a "dealer loaner"?

Always wondered if in a situation like this, if accepting a loaner or rental would provide extra motivation for the dealer to address the issue quickly because some of the cost was coming out of pocket.

Today at Nissan of Eastside I met the Leaf Task Force engineers, there were 3 of them, one was from Japan another one from California and I can't recall the location of the 3rd one. I talked to one of them and to be honest he didn't seem very confident that they can fix it soon. I asked him what parts they were replacing twice and he responded with very vague answer, possibly thinking that there is no point trying to explain it to me. In any case, they've been working on it for 2 days now and need another part that will arrive tomorrow.

There was another silver Leaf next to mine being serviced and I forgot ask what what the issue with that one. I wonder if it's someone from here.

img20110413120536.jpg

Back